Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left work this afternoon and the car ran pefectly. I stopped at a convienience store by the house and when I returned and started the car, it was running pretty rough at idle. I thought that was wierd and would clear out so I started to drive home and it just got worse. It was running really rough, was barely making power and was backfiring and sputtering. I limped it like a half mile home and got out and looked and it was even smoking out of the tailpipes. So much so they are now visibly very dirty. I looked under the hood and didn't see anything wrong and no warning lights or anything ever came on. I shut it off and let it sit for a minute and restarted and it seems to be running fine again. Any thoughts on what that might have been about?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Gremlins?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's the Florida Love bugs.

Black smoke?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Definitely not a normal thing to happen. I doubt an issue will come up later down the road.

Did you turn the key immediately or did you let it cycle before cranking? I can only imagine a signal crossover in the fuel trim files that didn't fully cycle before it was started. It was just and electrical malfunction. Do you have a stock tune or any mods? What grade fuel?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, just stuck the key in and started it normally. Stock tune; only mods are K&N drop in and Flowmaster axle backs. Always used 93. After I got home, I started it several times and ran it around the block and it ran fine. Washed it later and it ran fine then too. I dunno, I guess it was just a bug.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with it. If you want we can meet up for a quick run and see how it does... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
How much oil did u put on K&N filter? It can go thru to your mass air flow sensor and cause this problem. Had it do it on an Expedition.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's a drop in - Pretty sure he hasn't re-oiled that thing from when it came out of the box. But good point, that is a possibility.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The K&N"s i have had were not oiled at all when i got them new. I have had to oil them before install. They were dry.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? So it wasn't red? That doesn't make sense. Well, anyway, mine was oiled and it was in a platic bag to keep it moist and so the box wouldn't get soggy.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
believe it or not my 97 Ranger did the same thing a few times after I got it. After I shut it down, I'd simply restart it and it'd run fine. I'm postive it was a computer bug and nothing too really worry about. Seeing how I put over 100K on it with absolutly no issues other than that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you disconected your battery lately?
Nope. Hadn't done anything to the car except drive it in a week.

believe it or not my 97 Ranger did the same thing a few times after I got it. After I shut it down, I'd simply restart it and it'd run fine. I'm postive it was a computer bug and nothing too really worry about. Seeing how I put over 100K on it with absolutly no issues other than that.
That's the consensus that I'm getting; just a computer bug. It was just scary at that moment, having never experienced that before. I thought I blew a headgasket or something. All seems well now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hopefully it was just an isolated incident, but something to think about. My wife’s SUV did the same thing a few years back on a few different occasions and it had a K&N drop-in filter. I thought no it cannot be the “pre-oiled” filter so I removed the air-box intake tube and it had a light oil film in it. I then removed the MAS air flow sensor and put it on my bench under magnification and the MAS wire had oil on it. I purchased MAS air flow sensor specific spray cleaner, cleaned everything up to include the intake tube and it never happened again. My take away is just because a manufacture packages their product does not always mean things will be OK and in this case maybe K&N is pre-oiling the filter just a tad bit to much.

On a separate note, this is why all filters should be dry-flow technology.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really? So it wasn't red? That doesn't make sense. Well, anyway, mine was oiled and it was in a platic bag to keep it moist and so the box wouldn't get soggy.
No. I have bought them for my r1 and quads and car and trucks and have not had them pre oiled. Maybe it is where i get them. I don't know. I have not bought one in about 4 yrs. I have only had the problem in the Expedition. I had to get a new mas sensor and it never happend again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's wierd. I've never got a K&N before that wasn't oiled. This one was defintely oiled. Like I said too, it's been in there for at least a month and a half to two months, but I will check the MAF to be sure. I do have MAF cleaner spray, so maybe I'll give it a squirt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
^ +1. All the K&N drop-in filters I have purchased were pre-oiled in a sealed bag as well. Just pull your intake tube and if you can see or feel a light oily film in it, I would clean that up and spray the MAF. It does not take much to upset those finicky things.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts