Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used some 40weight royal purple last oil change (2,000-2,500 miles ago), now checking my level it's around halfway full, a good amount did get burned. I'm still currently check around for leaks, hoping I don't have to replace gaskets.

Does anyone else here have experience with using Royal Purple on the 3.8? I hear Royal Purple is actually harmful to certain motors...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use it, but if your talking about motir oil then fords reccomendation is 5w-20 or 5w-30

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
Sounds like your rings are fairly worn to me. Personally I wouldn't switch to synthetic on a higher mileage engine without a rebuild. I know not everybody has problems when doing so, however that is chance not worth taking to me.

Also as stated above, I would stick with Fords recommendation on oil weight.

Have you checked the rear main seal?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've never really heard anything bad about royal purple. Synthetic oils can make leaks worse on high mileage vehicles but other than that and price there's no down side to using synthetic. It's better for your engine in the long run. I'm not sure why you used 40W oil though, always stick to what the manufacturer recommends. 5W-20 for our cars.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Dont know why you used 40W..the only thing i have ever heard about switching to synthetic is while its better for the engine, and cleans better..sometimes that old conventional oil is holding some rings and gaskets together, so when you get synthetic in there its possible that it can clean TOO good. by that i mean it will clear out the gunk that was built up in say a small crevice and then leak out.

Heard it happen and seen it happen. just look around for a leak and use the proper weight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
first of all you shouldnt use anything other than the recomonded weight oil ,i run 5w-30 mobil1 synthetic in my car and have been since 2007 i do not recommend royal purple to anybody because your buying a 12 dollar bottle of purple synthetic oil , and mobil1 is 8 dollars a quart and does the same thing

synthetic is good oil you can go 10,000 miles on an oil change it stays cleaner longer keeps its lubricity charistics longer, it does clean the motor out and it does run better as far as cleaning so good im it causes leaks im not so sure about that if a gasket or seal begins to seep /leak i would say its due to an oil change but probably just went bad due to age .
they also make high mileage synthetic oil to help lubricate and prolong life of our high mileage motors .

so if you got the cash i sugget some MOBILE1 synthetic

·
Registered
222 Posts
first of all you shouldnt use anything other than the recomonded weight oil ,i run 5w-30 mobil1 synthetic in my car and have been since 2007 i do not recommend royal purple to anybody because your buying a 12 dollar bottle of purple synthetic oil , and mobil1 is 8 dollars a quart and does the same thing

synthetic is good oil you can go 10,000 miles on an oil change it stays cleaner longer keeps its lubricity charistics longer, it does clean the motor out and it does run better as far as cleaning so good im it causes leaks im not so sure about that if a gasket or seal begins to seep /leak i would say its due to an oil change but probably just went bad due to age .
they also make high mileage synthetic oil to help lubricate and prolong life of our high mileage motors .

so if you got the cash i sugget some MOBILE1 synthetic
I also have used Mobile 1 fully synthetic in my car from day 1, but the 5W-20 stuff, not 5W-30. I recommend it. I change my oil myself and it barely costs me more than a conventional oil change at most places. I buy the 5 quart jugs at Walmart for about $23-$26 a jug. Buy the Motorcraft oil filter and I have the oil drain plug gaskets in bulk so I'll never run out of those. So for literally less than $30 out of pocket and in 20 minutes time I can have a high quality oil change. Can't beat it.

On a separate note, has anyone used the new Mobile 1 extended performance synthetic oil? I ask because it's only like another 2 or 3 dollars for a 5 quart jug at Walmart over regular Mobile 1 synthetic and is guaranteed to protect for 15k miles. I would never keep it in my car 15k miles because it would still get dirty but if I could milk it for an extra couple thousand between changes it would be worth it. Currently I change my regular Mobile 1 synthetic every 5K and most people would say that's over kill.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yes thats overkill, recomended change intervel on regular mineral oil is 5k and on stnthetic is 10k or once a year

·
Registered
390 Posts
pcv is possibly sucking up some oil or lower intake manifold seals at the heads. if yo let car idle for a few minutes then take off as a friend watches your pipe, you may see blue smoke which indicates rings or valve guide seals. lucas can help with that. they even have a stop leak type oil additive for like 15$.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yes thats overkill, recomended change intervel on regular mineral oil is 5k and on stnthetic is 10k or once a year
Well the recommended Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. And I could never go once a year in between oil change intervals, up until recently I almost put 25k a year on my Mustang. Changing my synthetic oil every 3 months wasn't uncommon for me. Now it's more like twice a year. After my move, I'm on pace for a more reasonable 10k a year or so. I get your point though, I guess I just don't like keeping it in there much past 6K or so because it gets so dirty.

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well my understand is, the cleaner the oil the better the motor will run.... in which case, oil changes as much as possible is ideal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts