Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't made a thread about this yet, but about two weeks ago I took a couple of friends out for a little joy ride. Of course, I wanted to show off so I was really putting the spurs to this old horse. I had it matted and was shifting like a mad man (I was actually very impressed with my shifting :D )

But as soon as I let out at ~90 I hear SNAP!!! Than a horrible, horrible vibration noise.

So I limped the poor girl home, where it has sat for a couple of weeks until yesturday when me and my main man Brandon (forcefedcobra) finally got it torn down (it was mainly Brandon-I'm just around for eye candy)

And this is what we saw.

This is not good. A little closer view of the diff cover. That big whole is not supposed to be there.

This is the cause of the problem:

This is the rear bracket that helps support the rear of the differential. It uses a very soft rubber bushing. It appears that the bushings had too much give in them and let the brace twist too much and "SNAP!" And the broken bracket just punched a whole in the cover.

SOOOOO....From Brandon's suggestion I ordered a new set of Delrin bushings from Full Tilt Boogie Racing and a set of alluminum front supports and washers to set the pinion angle properly. Hopefully this will help keep this from happening any time soon.

How my car looks now:

·
Registered
923 Posts
that sucks.
those rear brakes look tiny lol

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And yes, we will be painting the calipers and and rotor top hats while we have everything appart. Whoever painted them before I got the car did a HORRIBLE job.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Looks like you'll need to add a diff cover to that shopping list as well.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
and some more jack stands. i wouldnt lay underneath that setup for a million dollars.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Damn man that sucks. That is the reason that I replaced my diff bushings with the MM kit. Hope to prevent that problem.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
damn dude, i looking for SRA for my buddies 03. he has a small klunk from the rear end and is really pissing him off.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like you'll need to add a diff cover to that shopping list as well.
I had him purchase one before we even knew it had a huge hole blown into it.

and some more jack stands. i wouldnt lay underneath that setup for a million dollars.
Its not going anywhere.

+1. one jack stand? really? :eek:

sucks that had to happen to you :(
are you serious? How would you get the car to balance on one jack stand? Of course there is another jack stand under the flsfc on the driver side also.

·
Registered
577 Posts
damn dude, i looking for SRA for my buddies 03. he has a small klunk from the rear end and is really pissing him off.
yeah the clunk of the irs can be annoying. upgrading to bruce's bushing kit and larger front irs subframe bolts really helps or completely gets rid of the clunk.

full tilt boogie racing FTW!

·
Registered
577 Posts
oh sorry :sorry

id still put another one under there for security haha
LOL! yeah it looks crazy in the pic. The car isnt going anywhere though. I'm using all my tools to work on the car at his house, so my cobra was loaded up with tools, jack, jack stands, etc, etc......

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
yeah the clunk of the irs can be annoying. upgrading to bruce's bushing kit and larger front irs subframe bolts really helps or completely gets rid of the clunk.

full tilt boogie racing FTW!
glad to hear that. i am guessing its a common problem with these things then? he wants to do the SRA to prevent anything from happening in the future, i think he wants to do all the stuff to it but keep stock eaton for now.

·
Registered
577 Posts
glad to hear that. i am guessing its a common problem with these things then? he wants to do the SRA to prevent anything from happening in the future, i think he wants to do all the stuff to it but keep stock eaton for now.
yeah the clunk is a very common problem. between driveline slop and irs slop it can get pretty bad. However having all of bruce's "full tilt boogie racing" goodies makes a HUGE difference in every single way possible. street, strip, road track......whatever. I still get some clunk but nothing near like it was when all stock but I have no fear of anything in the irs giving up the ghost like Ryan's did.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
yeah the clunk is a very common problem. between driveline slop and irs slop it can get pretty bad. However having all of bruce's "full tilt boogie racing" goodies makes a HUGE difference in every single way possible. street, strip, road track......whatever. I still get some clunk but nothing near like it was when all stock but I have no fear of anything in the irs giving up the ghost like Ryan's did.
How much is driveline vibration increased in the cabin with the FTB kit? I really like the concept of this kit, but being mine is a daily driver that never sees track use, I am wondering if the trade off is worth it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
half shafts?
IMHO......upgrading half shafts isnt needed. 9/10 people have more problems with aftermarket half shafts than they are worth. a set of 28" or even 26" (depending on how much rwhp and how crazy they launch) will do the trick and keep the half shafts happy. Most halfshafts are broken due to launching too hard on drag radials and getting wheel hop...........You shouldnt get wheel hop with a good set of slicks. Plus they will absorb some of the initial shock of the launch.

How much is driveline vibration increased in the cabin with the FTB kit? I really like the concept of this kit, but being mine is a daily driver that never sees track use, I am wondering if the trade off is worth it.

Thanks.
nothing turning the radio up a little wont cure. You will have some increase noise in the cabin but it isnt that bad.

The car pictured in this thread is a purely street driven car and you can see the results of crap stock rubber bushings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts