Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed my 17x9, 17x10.5 2003 cobra's, and my front wheels are rubbing. As you can see, I am stock height. I thought for sure that pretty much everyone ran these without any problem. Front tires are 275/40-17, recommended by AM. Now I know for sure that my alignment is off, pretty badly. I was wondering if this had anything to do with it? I noticed it when I was reversing out of a parking spot. I also noticed it with my old stock wheels as well. With the old ones, it felt like the front end was jumpy. I posted a thread on this a while back and couple people said it was probably alignment. When taking normal turns, even a few sharp ones, my wheels didn't seem to rub, at least not that I could hear. Do you guys think alignment could make them rub? Anyway, here's some pics : D

Moar pics! For the hell of it.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yeah man get it aligned...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
people run that size all the time..IMO 275 is a little big up front.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
people run that size all the time..IMO 275 is a little big up front.
Yeah I wasn't sure what they'd look like. I like em, may go a little smaller when I get radials.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's rubbing in the plastic area in the rear of the fender well. Not the fender.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also in the front. The wheels are slightly passed the fender when u look down from above. But I don't have wheel spacers, idk why it's out so far.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
275 does seem big for the front. the rubbing will happen when you go that wide. Looks pretty good. WHat size are the rears??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
275 is too big. I have the same size with the same issue. When I cut the wheel all the way to the right or left, the tires rub on the inside fender liner not the fender itself.
Damn thanks for the answer. What do you suggest? 245? That might require some stretch though.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
a 265 or smaller would be good man.
but yeah, 275 is pretty ****in huge for the front wheels. :eek:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Mine rub the inner fenders at full steering lock even with 265s up front. Although I am lowered 1.7 inches. I just don't go full lock on the steering. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have 275s up front with no rubbing issues, although I have a 97 but I figure same concept.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Damn thanks for the answer. What do you suggest? 245? That might require some stretch though.

Yeah man, it's not that big of a deal, just making 90 degree turns into parking spots is kind of a pain, you have to either do a 3 point turn into it or make a really wide turn into it. I really like the beefy look of the 275's.

265 would be ideal from what people have told me, no rubbing issues. But I've never tried them.

245 is way too small for a 9in rim..

·
Registered
164 Posts
255/40 would work great for your fronts. The wheels look great

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Yeah, when I had 275's on the front of my car, they rubbed the fender liners at full lock. Then I put a huge front swaybar on it, and the 9" front wheels themselves would hit the swaybar at full turn.... I don't have to worry about that anymore.

You will notice that the car wanders too much on the 275's up front, especially on grooved roads. I went back to a 255, and the car was much nicer to drive.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When I was looking at the wheel/tire specials American Muscle was running, I was wondering why they were going with 275's up front.

Ideally a 8.5" wide wheel is perfect for the front on our cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts