Modded Mustang Forums banner

Running GT500 pumps on a stock GT

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  stanglifemike 
#1 ·
I'm installing my GT500 twin fuel pumps tonight and was wondering of any ill effects of driving it like this without the bigger injectors. Dont think there will/should be, just making sure no one has ran into a problem....thanks

#4 ·
Oh I'll be working on the F/I in the evenings when I get home from work and hope to finish it up this weekend. I wont be driving it anywhere but may put in on the otherside of the garage for the install. So it may run for 5 minutes at the most

#5 ·
I don't think it will hurt anything, but I don't know for sure. I just installed mine yesterday and removed the bap, but I already have a tune for them and 60# injectors. Just for peace of mind, leave one of the fpdm's unplugged and it will only run one like normal, then when you're ready, plug the new one in... Just a thought.

#6 ·
Hey Roush, the instructions for pulling the 2 wires from the factory harness and putting them to the new harness connector didnt agree with the wires I had. I pulled the 2 from the factory harness as it said, blue/yellow trace and green/purple trace and moved those 2 pins to the new harness connector. BUT, it said they should face the red and black wires in the new harness. I faced them to the matching wires blue/yellow to blue/yellow etc. The black and red should be power and ground which I wont need because the new harness is supplying that. Did you cross the same thing? Or has anyone else?

#8 ·
Ok Stroker, so by matched up you mean color to color, because thats how I installed it. Or do you mean matched up like the instructions said?
My issue is the new harness doesnt have a red and black wire on the connector that plugs into the factory connector. The new connector has only 2 wires and they are the same color as the 2 wires that you pull from the factory harness. But the instructions say that they should line up with the red wire and black wire. I left the red and black wire in the factory connector as the instructions didnt say to use those.....

#9 · (Edited)
Heres what I'm referring to:

29B: For 2006 Mustang GT and beyond, a second hole with a 1½” diameter will need to be cut into the
access cover. The hole should be ½” away from existing hole to allow clearance for the new
grommet to seal. Once the hole is cut out, pull DUAL PUMP CONNECTOR and SENDER
CONNECTOR (1) through hole and seal hole with grommet. Do not take the existing harness out
of the existing hole in the access cover. Unlock the existing 4-pin female connector (connector on
the end of the existing harness going through access cover) previously connected into the stock
fuel pump. Unlock the connector by pulling the blue center piece forward (see fig. 19).
29C: Release terminals for the LB/YE wire and the LG/VT wire from the connector housing. Do not
remove terminal from wire. These are the fuel sender wires.
STEP 30: Insert fuel sender wires into the connector labeled SENDER CONNECTOR (2) with the LB/YE wire going into the left side and the LG/VT wire going into the right (see Fig. 20).
Fig. 20
STEP 31: Connect SENDER CONNECTOR (1) into SENDER CONNECTOR (2). Once connection is made, the LG/VT wire should line up with the RD/YE wire and the LB/YE with the BK wire.
STEP 32: Connect the DUAL PUMP CONNECTOR to the newly installed dual pump.

Step 30 is what I did. Its step 31 that doesnt line-up with what I'm seeing. The FRPP harness doesnt have the RD/YE or BK wire in the connector for the factory connector

#12 ·
weird...My FRPP harness had the exact same color wires that I was pulling from the factory harness. Don't know who to contact to see if thats a newer version or what. Parts counter isnt any help...

#15 ·
Ok, FRPP said that they werent posotive but he assumed that it is just an updated harness from FRPP to make the wire match-up more obvious. Thats what I assumed just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys

Rich, I need to get a price on the BMR adjustable UCA. Could you pm me a price. I should order it this week, maybe even today if you can hook me up :D

#20 ·
If your pump is like mine - when you get to the re-pinning part, the wire colors don't match the instructions.

JDM instructed me to just line up the colors. New green wire lines up across from a green wire on the other side of the connector, and a new blue wire lines up across from a blue wire on the other side of the connector.

This might not make sense to you right now. But make a mental note to come back here when the instructions (if you get any, I didn't) don't match the wires in the kit.

#21 ·
I've already done the install, thats how I knew the wire color was different. Called FRPP hotline again today and talked to the same guy. He said that he checked on the wire color and that it is in fact a newer harness and that the colors now match the factory harness. Also, the power wire that you run to the front has an extra layer around it than the older harnesses. Thats why other in pics are its red from the trunk to underhood and mine is black all the way except for 1-2 foot before the fusebox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.