Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize in advance for the writing, I'm on my phone.

Finally got my motor together and running, but it's running at around 195-200 at idle and doesn't cool down much when driving
either. That seems pretty hot to me, and my engine builder says the same. I have a aluminum radiator, and a black magic electric fan. I'm checking the temp with an infared thermometer right at the heads. I'm also getting 460* on the header primaries right at where they bolt to the head.

I have a few things I still have to do/check (which is most likely where my problem lies) but I'm open to any other ideas that it might be. I haven't set the timing yet because I don't have a pointer on the car until it comes in from the dealer. I do have 24# injectors with a stock MAF because I ran out if money basically, so a new MAF is first thing on the list. I had to set my fuel pressure at 30psi to keep the car running, otherwise it seem to dump too much fuel with the 24s and the wrong MAF. I haven't really beat on it because I'm still seating the rings and breaking in the clutch, but the car revs up fine and drives ok, other than getting it to idle some of the time. My next plan is to get a friends wideband in the car and see where my A/F is to make sure I'm not running lean. I also have a 180* thermostat in the car and have burped the air out of the coolant, or at least all the air that will come out of the purge any other ideas besides my timing and MAF issues? It's gonna be a week or two before I get the MAF and wideband so I want to try a couple other things in the meantime if I can but I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
609 Posts
any leakage from the weap hole on the water pump?

·
Registered
609 Posts
BTW mine runs about the same temp with 160 thermostat, new water pump, and dual core aluminum radiator....long tubes probably dont help..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do you have a shroud for your fan? W/O one an aftermarket fan is useless. Had the same prob. went back to stock w/ a shroud and never had a prob since.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The thermostat starts opening at its setpoint and is usually fully open about 10 degrees higher. Add the difference for where your coolant temp sensor is located compared to the thermostat location plus/minus some tolerances and 195 seems just about right for a 180F thermostat and that is not "too hot". I'd say you don't have a problem at all.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thermostat starts opening at its setpoint and is usually fully open about 10 degrees higher. Add the difference for where your coolant temp sensor is located compared to the thermostat location plus/minus some tolerances and 195 seems just about right for a 180F thermostat and that is not "too hot". I'd say you don't have a problem at all.
Good info to know, thank you. Yea I've been driving it for a few days and it seems fine, so I think I'm good. It's definitely nice to hear reassurance though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts