Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my mustang gt and it has already been mildly modded, it has an exhaust system, cai, throttle body, just changed the air filter on it becuase it was very dirty. whenever I am idleing my you can smell gas from the car also when I have people drive behind me I was told you can smell some gas. Also put in a full tank and only got 190 miles to the tank. What should I do to make my car get better gas mileage and possibly stop the smell of gas.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Clean the mass air flow meter and it would be a good idea to replace the front O2 sensors with new motorcraft ones. They tend to fail after a while and can definitely cause the car to run rich or lean.

You'll also want to check where the fuel filler neck physically goes into your fuel tank. This grommet is known to fail and can leak fuel when you have a full tank or corner hard.

How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
dude I hope you have a supercharger hiding on that motor somewhere because thats the same gas mileage I get lol.

some mods can possibly make you run rich... but I think usually the problem is in the tune & your O2 sensors (as possibly your foot, I can float from 13 to 17 mpg depending on my driving style)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mine always smells like gas. If I walk around the car while idling it smells a little. I get 11.5-12mpg in the summer all city driving. If you have an aftermarket midpipe it will enhance the gas smell over stock exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good good, and as far as the fuel filler neck I've already replaced it. It was leaking all over my exhaust about 4 months ago. I have got 81k on the car. Def. going to change my o2 sensors and clean out the mass airflow sensor and see where that gets me.

And I am running with no supercharger

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Clean the MAF first since that's the least exoensive and then see how it drives.

You can take it to a dyno tuner and they can tell you what's wrong and make some adjustments for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts