Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Houston Texas, and we all know that moist air ins't good.

Here's my problem... Every time in rains, I get a light layer of rust on the rotors. Under breaking the rust goes away, but the rust on the part of rotor that doesn't contact the brake pad doesn't clean itself and looks really bad.

Anyone else had this problem or have a solution? I don't feel like wire-brushing the rotors anymore lol

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Its just surface rust, its not a big deal. If the looks of it bothers you, then you can buy zinc plated rotors. Or you can sand and paint, where the pad doesnt touch, the rotors that you have now.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Rust on your rotors is completely normal. As you drive your brakes will clean them off. There shouldnt be very much that the brakes dont rub off...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Zinc plated rotors will eventually rust as your pads chuff through the zinc... but then they shouldn't rust where there's no wear either.

1FastFox - How much of the pads contact the rotors? Also, breaks is internet spelling for brakes. If this were in print or anywhere else for that matter then it would indeed be brakes. Sheesh, the nerve of some people. :tomato

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
same here.. its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
+1 what everyones sayin. I had the the same prob when it rained and didn't move the car for a few days. Rush on the rotors but came off when i applied the brakes

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Does anyone with rust on the rotors notice any scraping noise on the brakes for a short while? I get a little of that after a rainstorm but then it goes away.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does anyone with rust on the rotors notice any scraping noise on the brakes for a short while? I get a little of that after a rainstorm but then it goes away.
Yes, all cars do that with moisture in the air, at least domestics. Press the brakes lightly a few times going down the road takes care of it as you know, but dont mash it to the floor, it can cause warpage. Seen it happen with a few cars.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
you don't have to deal with road salt.... rusts in an hour while the snow is melting or the streets are slushy... I got zinc coated rotors and they only surface rust at the pad-rotor contact points, the rest of the rotor is rust free. I have no regrets with that purchase

1 - 13 of 13 Posts