Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so My shock towers are rusted Im letting her cool down before i go out there and take a wire brush to her I got some rust remover spray paint and then once I get it down good and what not im going to get some rust proof spray paint sound good?

Or should I do it another way

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Sounds good. I have used rust converter in the past. It converts rust into a primer for paint to stick to and seals up the rust. You use a paint brush to put it on. It works really well for stopping the rust.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awsome i will have to get some of that thanks throw that on it to never hurts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey also the stupid guy has hood pins on the hood at the bottom and top dont know why but anyhow they have rust and they are chrome is there something i can do to remove the rust?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
hey also the stupid guy has hood pins on the hood at the bottom and top dont know why but anyhow they have rust and they are chrome is there something i can do to remove the rust?
take them off and buy new ones and use some stainless screws insted of the ones it comes with..

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok that might be awhile then they cost what 20$ a set he has F***in 3 sets...

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so I climbed under the car today to find EVERY PIECE OF RUST and well it wasnt as bad as I thought I figured it would be worse but on the passenger side the floorboards are pretty rusted so Im going to wire brush them tomorrow to and spray paint over them and whenever I can have someone weld some reinforcements over them and the driver side not bad at all maybe a 1inch doesnt look deep...

Rust is the worst thing god could have ever made..:sorry

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you are looking to inhibit the rust, I would use POR 15. Don't wire brush it, just paint that stuff over the rust. It actually uses the rust as a catalyst to bond to the metal. It works extremely well as long as you get the bigger chunks of rust thats about to flake and most of the derbis in the area. Also if you use that stuff, make sure the area is completely dry. That will actually work better than wire brushing it and spraying other types of rust inhibitors. I used to do some work for a body shop and one of the regulars was a retired POR salesman, he showed us that stuff and I did my entire frame on my Cornet in it, it looked like bedliner when it was done and you couldn't chip it with a hammer or burn it off with a torch.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are looking to inhibit the rust, I would use POR 15. Don't wire brush it, just paint that stuff over the rust. It actually uses the rust as a catalyst to bond to the metal. It works extremely well as long as you get the bigger chunks of rust thats about to flake and most of the derbis in the area. Also if you use that stuff, make sure the area is completely dry. That will actually work better than wire brushing it and spraying other types of rust inhibitors. I used to do some work for a body shop and one of the regulars was a retired POR salesman, he showed us that stuff and I did my entire frame on my Cornet in it, it looked like bedliner when it was done and you couldn't chip it with a hammer or burn it off with a torch.
Ok POR 15 where do I find it I'll use that for sure instead of wire brushing it you guys havnt steered me wrong so far you paint it on right

·
Registered
569 Posts
por 15 is like 75$ a gallon and give it a little while and it chips

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok then what should i use?
let me rephrase that what should I do for the time being I dont have that much

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I used some rust converter called "Right Stuff" that I got for about $10 a quart at Advance. It looks like green colored water. Just like some of the other products people described, you just brush it on and let it dry. It turns the rust black and then you can paint over it. I did my rear end and various other spots and it turned out great. Maybe other products are better or more professional grade but this seems to work fine as well. I hit everything with a wire brush first to knock off the loose stuff first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts