1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
~450 on stock internals.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
around 450 or so is about the limit for a 4v it seems.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
so pretty much the same a 2v's

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is the block weak and could you just put cobra rods, and pistons in?
The stock pistons and rods are the weak point. You can put a set of 03 manley rods in it along with a quality aftermarket piston. The 03 pistons are sized by each bore in the 03 block and are not worth putting in another engine.

The mach aluminum block is not quite as strong as the 93-01 Teksid blocks, but will not be the weak point in most builds. Many have made ove 800rwhp without a failure with a WAP block.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Mine let go at around 4xxish I think. I had a p&p'd intake, full boltons, suspension, and a tuned 150 shot. I didn't much care about hp numbers back then.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
^Based on what your mods are (if LTs are included in "full bolt-ons" you were probably putting down anywhere from 320 to 340 before the 150 shot. Throw that on top and you are at a minimum of 470 lol.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Is the block weak and could you just put cobra rods, and pistons in?
Shortblock has cast internals unless it's from a manual car, in which case the crank is forged.

Near as I know, all new edge Mach 1s used the WAP aluminum block, which is considerably weaker than both the older Teskid aluminum block and newer Aluminator aluminum block.

If you're going through the effort, I'd replace the shortblock entirely with one of the above aluminum blocks as a base. If you're cool with an additional 80+ lbs on the nose of your car, you could also go with the iron block found in the 2v motors or the Termie shortblock (advantage to the termie being fully forged internals from the factory). If you go with a 2v block, I'd keep your Mach crank, assuming it's a 5-speed car.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
question, so after u build the short block do you have to worry about the valves, spring, ect.....?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
thats 450rwhp though right?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
question, so after u build the short block do you have to worry about the valves, spring, ect.....?
Short block is the crank, rods, and pistons. When people say long block it includes the short block and everything in the heads (springs, valves, rocker arms, cams, ect.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts