Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just called a local shop about the installation of a whipple HO kit on a '07 Mustang GT and this is what he quoted me. It seems overpriced to me. The whipple install that is. Not sure about the clutch price. Is the clutch necessary at the same time? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

$1600- whipple HO install
$ 850- Dyno tune
$ 350- clutch install

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i'm waiting until my clutch goes then i'll upgrade. the whipple install is a little high, but thats around what i paid too. and the dyno tune is too expensive, around 450 is good. but i got a VMP custom e-mail tune for 250 and was right on the money 11.7 a/f and 462 rwhp/ 432 tq, i'm very satisfied w/ that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
WOW!!!!! Brenspeed charges $650.00 to install one of their Saleen Kits. The kits should be pretty much the same. $1600 for the install is too much. They are charging double for everything. Money must be tight with these companies or they are paying their people alot of money!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i'm waiting until my clutch goes then i'll upgrade. the whipple install is a little high, but thats around what i paid too. and the dyno tune is too expensive, around 450 is good. but i got a VMP custom e-mail tune for 250 and was right on the money 11.7 a/f and 462 rwhp/ 432 tq, i'm very satisfied w/ that.
Do you got a link or something for VMP. How did you get the tune. Did they email it to you and downloaded it. I have an XCAL 3. Have you had any problems with your tensioner like some people have had

·
Registered
123 Posts
well based on the whipple quote, i think
it may be one of two things.

1) they've never done a whipple install and are
over estimating the time needed

2) they are trying to maximize the profit
margin, at your expense

i've done the install and i think a fair
price would be $800 - $1000.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks hammeron

·
Registered
123 Posts
your welcome and i hope you
get your whipple on there
soon...you're gonna love it

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Man, me and my buddy did my KB install in 18 hours and a case of beer...and its a WAY more involved install from what I understand...you got tools? I'd do the blower install for $500...that's how easy it is.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, me and my buddy did my KB install in 18 hours and a case of beer...and its a WAY more involved install from what I understand...you got tools? I'd do the blower install for $500...that's how easy it is.
If you didn't live on the other side of the U.S. I'd take you up on that offer. I was also quoted $850 on another local forum that a ford tech would do it at the dealership and $400 on the side, probably at his house. What you think about that

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
no problem w/ the tensioner, i've had the whipple for about 5 weeks. heres the link for vmp
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing?
and they e-mail the tune to you, load on your tuner then flash your car computer w/ the tune. you may need to upgrade the firmware on your tuner and use liveload to get it on your tuner, Justin @ vmp sent me all the needed software upgrades i needed. if you do order from there, call him on the phone and make sure you got everything you need to download.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no problem w/ the tensioner, i've had the whipple for about 5 weeks. heres the link for vmp
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing?
and they e-mail the tune to you, load on your tuner then flash your car computer w/ the tune. you may need to upgrade the firmware on your tuner and use liveload to get it on your tuner, Justin @ vmp sent me all the needed software upgrades i needed. if you do order from there, call him on the phone and make sure you got everything you need to download.
cool thanks. Just trying to cover everything before I buy everything I pm'd you earlier

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
did you data log and send him the info before you got a tune?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i did not datalog before getting the tune. it turned out pretty well, the numbers are up near the top of the thread, i e-mailed him later to thank him for the tune and he said to datalog or send the .DRF dyno run files and he can tweak it some more.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
If you didn't live on the other side of the U.S. I'd take you up on that offer. I was also quoted $850 on another local forum that a ford tech would do it at the dealership and $400 on the side, probably at his house. What you think about that
It's only 965 miles...it would be good and broke in by the time you got home! :D

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
WOW!!!!! Brenspeed charges $650.00 to install one of their Saleen Kits. The kits should be pretty much the same. $1600 for the install is too much. They are charging double for everything. Money must be tight with these companies or they are paying their people alot of money!!!!!!!!

the only way they could sell it

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's only 965 miles...it would be good and broke in by the time you got home! :D
And for the difference in price you would get a cool road trip and an extremely fun car to drive home (another road trip) and like he said it would be broken in when you got back= win/win in my book. I love road trips!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts