Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would adding a vortech to my engine that has 86k on it be a mistake? From what i've read on vortech site it seems pretty safe at the stock 8.5 - 9 psi boost level. Or would it be a better idea to do forged internals and add ported heads and upper/lower intake with a nice cam?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
you'll be just fine on sock engine

just beef up your fuel system

·
Registered
685 Posts
yeah i strapped a paxton to a 90k motor and never had a prob

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you'll be just fine on sock engine

just beef up your fuel system
My engine is on "sock internally :cool:" other than that all have all the bolt-ons i can think of. I dont know if i should upgrade the axle and the brakes now or wait tho. Too many variables to consider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
definately upgrade the rear...u can pick up a GT rear fairly reasonable..

·
Registered
28 Posts
At 86k, your engine is fully broken in. It should have many, many trouble free miles left in it as long as you maintain it properly!

I have a few friends who supercharged their Mustangs at 140k and above. They have had no trouble up in the 200k mark.

If you beat on your engine regularly, be prepared for some seal issues. Supercharger seals don't last forever, so that is one thing to take into consideration. Another thing that many people don't realize is that increasing pressure in a closed volume increases temperature. Get an intercooler and it will help prevent detonation but it won't increase hp. It will allow you to run more boost safely.

If you feel nervous about supercharging your V6 at 86k, you can always get forged internals first and be super-safe. But, that's about 3000-4000$ on your car for the parts and install. The end result is the ability to run more boost due to stronger components and a lower compression ratio N/A.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should be fine with slapping that bad boy on. Just keep the boost reasonable don't get power hungry. And as said above make sure you give it enough fuel. Get a Ford GT supercar pump for in the tank. I would also get a tune from a rep. shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts