Modded Mustang Forums banner

S197 3V engine swap

58K views 164 replies 30 participants last post by  firebirdtony 
#1 ·
05-09 3V engine in a SN95 chassis

Has anyone done it?

From what I've read it requires new motor mounts or something.

Does anyone know what all is required for it?

#4 ·
The blocks I believe are the same. The bat thats different I do believe is how it bolts on to the k member. I could be wrong tho

#7 ·
I got all you need to know on that topic. PM me for details but it is pretty simple. you will need the conversion kit from logan MS Logan Motorsports - SCT Tuning and camlock gears to lock up the VVT. That is if you want to use your stock ECU. If you want to swap to the 3V ECU you can use the VVT and and electronic TB. If you are going for big numbers like me, locking the VVT is a must reguardless. I am looking at a 200 lb reduction in the front end between motor and K member.

#9 ·
I just PM'ed NORCALM so I guess I should post it here as well:

No problem The kit from logan Motorsports has adapter plates so that the exhaust from your new edge will mount to the 3V. The 05+ have electronic TB. Since you will be wanting to use your stock ECU, the kit also comes with an adapter plate to use an 03/04 cobra cale driven TB. This means you need to get the cobra TB and cable which can be had on ebay for like 50 bucks. The kit also has a fuel rail preasure sensor adapter to be able to use you existing one. After that, you need camlock gears or phaser locks if you dont go to high in hp, to lock the VVT. Of course the tune needs to be done. The block will bolt up perfect and will mount to your trans just fine. Pretty much the kit comes with it all exept the cam or phaser locks, cobra TB, and cobra TB cable. The Logan kit cost $300 and like I said, the TB and cable will run $50, add $200 for a tune, $50-$150 for the phasers or gears and thats about it. I paid 1K for my complete 3V. If I wasnt building a forged block, I could have had it in and done for under 2K including the motor.

I guess I should also note that there is a diference between phaser locks and camlock gears. For high HP, you will want the locking gears. Hope this helps you guys

#10 ·
Coming from a guy who just did a v6 to v8 swap (3v), It might behoove you to just do a 4v swap. This is of course, assuming you want the easiest swap possible. With my swap (body of a 2006), I just had to get the same year Wiring harness and the 2005 and 2006 ECU's were interchangeable. PM me if you have anymore questions I might be able to answer.

#12 ·
The swap is just about as straight forward as it gets? You dont need a new harness, or ECU. The swap has an incredably short and inexpensive shopping list as well? 4V swap would be awsome as well however, it is heavier, more expensive due to more cams, and the 3V flows almost as good. There are a lot more 3V motors out there than 4V's so it will be easier to get one at a good price as well.

#13 · (Edited)
Some more behind the scenes chat that I PM'ed NORCALM and will be good info for all, hope this helps:

Correct, the only isue with the 3V headers is they wont clear the Kmember in our cars. The bolt pattern for the 3V headers are diferent so the adapter plates bolt to the heads and the 2V headers bolt right up to the plates with no issues. The plates are only abour 3/4" thick so I dont see that hindering any turbo setup. The locking gears are almost a must. this is how the VCT/VVT works. It uses electronically controlled hydraulic valves that sends oil to the phaser cavity. The powertrain control module (PCM) transmits a signal to the oil solenoids to move a valve spool that regulates the flow of oil to the phaser cavity. The phaser cavity changes the valve timing by either advancing or retarding the camshafts to allow for optimum engine performance, reduced emissions, and increased fuel efficiency. without the 05+ ecu the solenoids wond be working which will cause horrible timming isues and is why you need to lock this out. You can use the cheap phaser locks that run about $50 bucks if you dont plan to run high HP. These are solid wedges of aluminum that will hold the cam in fully retarded or fully advanced. The issue with this method is that at high hp they can break and throw the timming out the window which will usualy end up with a blown motor due to some good old PTV. Do not get these mixed up with phaser limiters which are 2 aluminum wedges with a spring between them that limit the phaser to 20 deg retard or advanced to alow a larger more agresive cam. (if you use 05+ ECU) The best way to go is the gears. They are expensive but this is a thing you only want to do once and forget it. Hope this helps. I got my engine on CL. The guy had about 13K miles on it and decided to buy a saleen 302 engine to swap in. He sold it to me for 1K complete. Just have to look around but they are all over the place.

#16 ·
damn.. i really REALLY wish i would have done a 3v swap on my car.. so easy to do compared to the 4v swap.. do the coils from the 2v work? i wonder how different all the pulleys and water pump and stuff are..

#17 ·
Starting the tear down here soon. Got the engine on the stand now but have to do some cleaning up in the garage and house before I can tinker. Thank god for the 3 day weekend. The wife just baught me an air compresor and some tools to speed up the tear down so hopefuly bye sunday evening I can kick this off. Get the block stiped and off to the shop for cleaning and measuring as well as heads of to be ported.

#21 ·
I've been thinking that if I need to get a new engine I would do a 3v swap as well.

1. There are plenty of low mileage 3v motors in salvage yards that won't take an arm and a leg to buy.

2. It's supposed to be a direct drop in with the conversion kit. You do not need to modify the car at all. You use your existing ECU, wiring harness, Long-tube headers, etc. so installation costs will be lower.

3. A 3v is rated 300 hp from the factory. A 4v is rated 320 hp. (not counting forged supercharged Terminator motors).

4. It's a lighter motor reducing the amount of weight on the front of the car.

5. A supercharged stock 3v will safely run more horsepower than a supercharged stock 2v. Of course for an additional cost you could put in forged rods and pistons.

#25 ·
well guys i`ve got my 3v 07 saleen engine for $1300 with 37k on the miles. every things there,-(alt, ac, ps) but the fool cut all the harness wires.picked it up from a local yard still in the car and running. just got to get a flywheel, clutch kit, throttle cable and find some one to tune it for me. i was told i could buy a programmer with the programs pre loaded. also have to find some info on the cam gears. i have done the chains on my 00, but never installed the adjustable gears before. i would use the phaser locks but i dont know whether to lock them in full retard or full advance. its going to be a daily driver so i hate to get that wrong, and the the car either lugs or has torque but no top end. if any one has info on that (installing adjustable cam gears) please post it for us that are in need. cant wait to get started myself.

#29 ·
I have heard they will but I dont know the the mods if any that need to be done. without digging up flow charts let me put it in perspective. I know this is with a power adder but the KB mamoth on a stock cobra and a stock 05+ GT comes out with the GT at 775 and the cobra at 774.

#32 ·
well everyone i called no longer have the cam gears bbr said they quit selling them. livernoise said they dont carry them either, so im forced to use the wedges on the stock cam gears. got my stroker kit bolted in and now im waiting on my swap kit from logans. stll dont know which cold air tube to use yet. photos to come soon.

#34 ·
There are a lot of us considering the 3v swap. Were you able to get the gears you needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.