Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I was at the track yesterday dialling in my car after the winter mods (listed below in addition to my sig strip). First run was fine, but I hit the chip 1st/2nd and short shifted 3rd to 4th but still ran 13.1 and a 1.8 60', looking good once the rust was out of my driving. As the day wore on though, I was finding it increasingly hard to shift 2nd/3rd and even 1st/2nd at 6500 rpm.

I am using QA1 singles and had them as soft as possible. The shifting improved when I stiffened the shocks back up to street level and shifted at 6000 rpm. Unfortunately it rained so I was unable to try anymore settings and shift points...

Any ideas what could cause the shifting problem? My gut feel is that there is a problem in the gearbox and the shock settings are a red herring; but it does not manifest itself daily driving and as I say, shifting was noticeably better with stiffer shocks and 6k shift point. Any ideas?? It seems the shifting is greatly affected in the last 500 rpm (deteriorates dramatically between 6000 and 6500 rpm); Id appreciate the help as the season starts soon!

The clutch has maybe 8000 miles and the box 51,000 miles

Current spec
Crane Cams, full induction mods, CMCV delete, BBK shorties, de-catted H pipe, UDP, Centerforce clutch, Hurst Shifter, Detroit TrueTrac, Lakewood LCA/UCA, QA1 single adjustable shocks. Soon to have aa BMR extreme rear anti roll bar

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
How is your clutch adjustment?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You have a firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant? Most shifting problems are either poor clutch dis-engagement or driver error. I've had both.....one is easier to fix than the other.........

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I hope its me!

"firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant?" ...No idea
On pre-05 cars that's what we replace for good clutch adjustment. Not sure what you guys need :cool:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
We have a hydraulically actuated clutch....don't think there's any adjustments that can be made...
What I thought....pretty much sucks then don't it:mad:

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
It's sychros...there are a couple of guys on here having the same problems. Either that or any after market shifter you have on there may be causing problems if the stops aren't adjusted properly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
our cars are know for shifter bind when really rowing through the gears. this is caused by the remote mounted shifter (note long shifter linkage) and the engine being torqued while being shifted hard. what makes me think this is your problem is the fact that when you tightened the suspension up it got better. che performance make a torque limiter that eliminates a lot of the binding while hard shifting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
our cars are know for shifter bind when really rowing through the gears. this is caused by the remote mounted shifter (note long shifter linkage) and the engine being torqued while being shifted hard. what makes me think this is your problem is the fact that when you tightened the suspension up it got better. che performance make a torque limiter that eliminates a lot of the binding while hard shifting.
OK, would this hold true on a short shifter? Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
100 Posts
have you replaced the motor mounts it my understanding that the stock ones are weak and a bad mount can cause this problem.:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah it would be the same with a short shifter, i had noticed some bind when hard shifting at the track w/ a hurst shifter prior to the torque limiters. also, like blown33 said a worn motor mount would do the same thing but i think you would have noticed a broken motor mount if that was the case, but im not sure you might want to check that too.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Unless something went bad recently (horrible misshift?) with your TR3650, it probably isn't the factory syncro issue. Some 2008 GTs are having bad syncros between 2/3 from the factory - I had my transmission rebuilt under warranty at 3k miles.

I did some looking around Google on tr3650 problems while my car was in the shop and the transmission's had some weak areas (shift forks?) for years now (pre S197 even) that may manifest themselves down the road.

Good luck sorting it out and hopefully it's suspension adjustment like the others say! :)

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Hey 07..... What is that called and where do I get one? Since I put the drag radials on I can really feel the shifter moving side to side when I am running hard... that thing looks like it will take care of that

is it the CHE torque limiter in your sig?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
yessir...CHE k member brace with torque limiters....shifter doesint budge now...but...be aware that you pick up some vibration thru the shifter with it installed...nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, thanks for the help and advice. I think that will sort it completely; whilst I am fitting it i will check out the motor mounts too though I think they are OK.

Many thanks guys, I spent a lot of time this winter working on straightline performance and all I did was un earth this issue so to fix it this easy is very cool, thanks:cool:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just installed the torque limiters this weekend. There is definite NVH increase but nothing major. I haven't tested them under hard accel yet (track doesn't open for a couple more weeks) but the stock shifter feels even better now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts