Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is basically all factory except for the bolt on supercharger kit. Will it be safe for me to run some high octane fuel? There is an airport right beside my house that I can buy 105 octane I believe it is. My car holds roughly 13 gallons when empty. If my car is empty how many gallons of 93 and 105 would be safe? like for example 10 gallons of 93 and 3 gallons of 105? I just wanna know what's the max amount of the 105 octane I can use when putting a full tank of gas in. That's safe. Thanks

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
dont just add race gas. it has a diff stoich level so you need to get tuned for race gas.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont just add race gas. it has a diff stoich level so you need to get tuned for race gas.
Oh ok.. I wont fool with it then.. I just would put like a gallon or two in my old 97 Cobra.. but it was N/A with just a few bolt ons.

·
Banned
760 Posts
You will mess up the o2, other than that you won't hurt the motor, you will lose power because your car is not tuned for the race gas.
For the people that don't know:
the higher the octane = slower burning fuel.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The only reason I'd use race gas for is if I accidently put 87 in when my car is tuned for 92. Mixing some race gas in with 87 to bump it up to 92 could be useful.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
You will mess up the o2, other than that you won't hurt the motor, you will lose power because your car is not tuned for the race gas.
For the people that don't know:
the higher the octane = slower burning fuel.
Wrong. Only leaded race gas hurts o2 sensors.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Lead gas also hertz the catalitic converters

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The only reason I'd use race gas for is if I accidently put 87 in when my car is tuned for 92. Mixing some race gas in with 87 to bump it up to 92 could be useful.
With a centrifugal supercharger you can actually run 87 octane gas even though its tuned for 92/93. I have twice when 87 octane gas was put in my accident. You just have to drive easy and keep the rpm below 2500 until it is gone.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
^ lol but where's the fun in that :D

AvGas (aviation gasoline) does contain lead, which is not good to run in your car. Adding lead content to a fuel is a cheap way to increase the octane rating of the fuel. Back in the day of leaded automotive fuel, you'd always see a row of dead grass along the side of the highway due to the crap that came out of the tailpipes of cars.

Typical racing fuel doesn't though. It won't hurt anything, though it won't do any good either.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
With a centrifugal supercharger you can actually run 87 octane gas even though its tuned for 92/93. I have twice when 87 octane gas was put in my accident. You just have to drive easy and keep the rpm below 2500 until it is gone.
That completely depends on your tune. I can barely get away with 91 in mine.

Throwing a few gallons of race fuel in could be extremely useful.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
not wrong dude,the aircraft gas is a leaded gasoline,same as a turbo blue or torco ETC.
Still WRONG. Anything under 109 is unleaded race gas. Torco is NOT leased gas, only thing torco does to plugs is foul them out. I have run every rave gas under the sun.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main reason I wanted to put some of that fuel in, was for the smell.. prolly sounds dumb.. But I love the smell of it.. But if it's risky just for the smell.. then I will not even consider using any.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is a well known fact that Aviation Gasoline is Leaded Gasoline. I work on Airplanes for a living. While the lead content is not that of the old school Leaded Gas. It is still what is termed as 100 Octane Low Lead. It will make your cats very hot and if run too long it could cause a fire because they will get extremely hot. AVGAS is 100LL!!

·
Banned
760 Posts
It is a well known fact that Aviation Gasoline is Leaded Gasoline. I work on Airplanes for a living. While the lead content is not that of the old school Leaded Gas. It is still what is termed as 100 Octane Low Lead. It will make your cats very hot and if run too long it could cause a fire because they will get extremely hot. AVGAS is 100LL!!
here is a guy who know his staff,thanks for the info,this is 100% correct,the small airport near my house sell the same gas 100 leaded gas,I us to get this gas for my bike all the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
throwing in my .02 here....

your car doesn't care what octane you use as long as you don't have auto-ignition. octane is not the burn rate, it's the resistance to auto-ignite. the higher the octane the less likely that is. Different blends of race fuel will give different burn rates (and there's no specification on that with automotive fuels) but octane will tell you the resistance to predetonation, as it's sometimes called. Therefore, you can have high octane fuel with a very fast burn rate. this is one reason we dyno tune our cars and should then stick to the same fuel, if possible.

100 octane is as high as fuel can go without additives. at 105, there are additives, most likely lead. you can't run leaded fuel in a catt'd car. it ruins them!!

The "stoich level" comment is correct. AvGas is actually "thinner" (for lack of a more accurate term) which makes it burn leaner. this is a whole 'nother subject though.

lastly, i too love the smell of racing fuel. we ran 110 octane leaded race fuel in our race cars and even talked about making air fresheners that smelled like that!! :D

Bottom line is, don't run the race fuel. get your car tuned with your "favorite" fuel in it and just use that. hope this helps...

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Ok dude I don't want to call you an a idiot but you are, you have no clue what you taking about.
here is a guy who know his staff,thanks for the info,this is 100% correct,the small airport near my house sell the same gas 100 leaded gas,I us to get this gas for my bike all the time.
Apparently YOU have no idea what your talking about. VP racing fuel is TESTED unleaded fuel under 110 octane. My friend works at VP, I know what I'm talking about. I've built more race cars than you've been alive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts