Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..I was wondering what all is different between a '98 S281 [the N/A variety] and a regular GT. Mechanically, that is.

Obviously, the front/rear bumpers and wing are a little different.

I was wondering cause I found a really great deal on a Saleen conversion bodykit but wanted to know what all would be involved in converting my stock GT to a Saleen.

Though I'm sorely tempted to just get the car painted and slap the bodykit on and have a fake-Saleen....

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You will technically have a "fake Saleen either way :yes

The Saleen's are numbered and authenicated, so will be a knock-off. You can build it to handle/look/ride/feel just like one, but will not be able to get the Saleen plates on firewall and on console in front of shifter. Cost-wise, you are MUCH better off just buying and original. It will likely be less expensive and a lot less work.

Jazzer :)

PS. A few weeks back I met a guy that 1 hour earlier picked up an '03 Saleen "E" car and was a Termi! Had less than 3K original miles with 100% Saleen stock everything. As clean as you can possibly imagine and then some.

.... $25,900 was what he payed :eek:

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
You will technically have a "fake Saleen either way :yes

The Saleen's are numbered and authenicated, so will be a knock-off. You can build it to handle/look/ride/feel just like one, but will not be able to get the Saleen plates on firewall and on console in front of shifter. Cost-wise, you are MUCH better off just buying and original. It will likely be less expensive and a lot less work.

Jazzer :)

PS. A few weeks back I met a guy that 1 hour earlier picked up an '03 Saleen "E" car and was a Termi! Had less than 3K original miles with 100% Saleen stock everything. As clean as you can possibly imagine and then some.

.... $25,900 was what he payed :eek:
it was a saleen with a termi engine?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
25,900 I think is a steal for a Termi Saleen IMO.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
idk why it matters if your just looking for the saleen looks just do the body kit..and do whatever you want to the car mechanically..it'll never be a real saleen so just have fun with it..

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Yeah, the " E " stands for Extreme. No really, that's what it stands for.

Hella good price though.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
If you really want to convert to a Saleen, You would have to bring it to Saleen and let them perform ALL the work. Then they would register it and give you the serialized plaques and give you a 98-XXX B designation. Any car they convert after the original production run gets a " B " designation.

Mine is 97-061. It was the 61st car they converted for the 1997 production year. They don't work on any specific model in order, such as doing all S281 coupes, then S281 speedsters or S281 'E"'s or S351's or the S281 Cobra's. They just fill the orders as they come in.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You can get the bodykit, sure why not. As far as converting it, do as 97s281 said, take it to saleen. But you can mod it in so many other ways and just have the body kit. Dont have to have the same interior or suspension setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A little bit of confusion going on here...

You really can't convert a Mustang into an authentic Saleen... it would have to be a new car built and sold as a Saleen.

"B" cars were mid-90s Budget Rent-a-Cars.

"E" does stand for "Extreme," but they didn't make Extremes in the mid-90s.

If you want to build a "tribute" or "fake" Saleen, Stage 3 Motorsports - Free Shipping on Late Model Mustang Performance Parts has body kits and most of what you need.

If you want to see how the various models were equipped, we have various literature online at Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club - SOEC - Literature

1 - 9 of 9 Posts