Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have decided to eliminate my axle back kit on my 06 s281 since both mufflers are shot :mad:, I am going to do a custom exhaust and eliminate the two oval tips that were installed from Saleen and put on two 3 inch round tips in their place with a custom muffler setup. But! before i do this swap I was wondering if anyone "praised" the setup that Saleen used, because myself and the my exhaust guy have concluded that it was not exactly a "genius" design, and should be changed... I will post pictures as I go through the motions.

Also does anyone know of a really throaty sounding 10" muffler since that is what this setup will require... :eek:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Similar design as a vette right? If you want it loud just throw on two 10in resonators and call it a day. Or just find a chambered muffler that will fit in there if you want it quite

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want something rather deep, I purchased electric cut-outs for the loud/intimidation factor haha.. I was thinking borla, but i need to research and see if they make a 10inch. What are the differences between a resonator and a traditional chambered muffler?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just want something rather deep, I purchased electric cut-outs for the loud/intimidation factor haha.. I was thinking borla, but i need to research and see if they make a 10inch. What are the differences between a resonator and a traditional chambered muffler?
A resonator is very small, straight through in design, and typically used to control rasp. A chambered muffler has baffles in them to break up the exhaust flow and silence it with minimum restrictions. Try youtube and see what other people are running with the same headers and mid pipe as you. Electric cut outs are always fun too!!!

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually the way it is designed it flows out of the back before the turndowns which only work on heavy throttle.. its a weird design, looks kinda cool but IMO i think its kind of overkill... should have stuck with the same style as on the 00-04 Saleen center exhaust...

As for the electric cut-outs, I have a set sitting in my trunk right now awaiting install :D

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have been researching but i can't seem to find a 10" resonator.. If i run resonators i will have to mount them in front of the rear axle, no problem for me but they would be really close to the prochamber... so I am going to have to do some more research!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well im running pypes m80 mid mufflers. Its like 5in after the mid pipe and ends up right before the axle. Sounds mean as hell and I only have the exhaust. It'll sound like sex on your car.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm sex on my car, I think... I mean... I'm pretty sure I could deal with that on a daily basis....

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is pretty epic... dont worry its not copyrighted... you can use it, you wont even have to pay monthly installments haha!!

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
Subscribed. In the end, I plan on a Saleen body kit w/ center exhaust, would be nice to know there's other options besides the standard Saleen exhaust. If Borla made a replacement, I'd be alllll over that! I was set on Borla Stingers for my axel backs before I committed to a Saleen setup.

Keep us posted! :yes

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i will for sure, i took it into the shop today and my buddy looked over it and we ultimately decided the plan for the setup.. It will be one off for sure, I hope it al works out as planned! lol

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
Nice! :D Can't wait to see it!

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the "Jegs" 2.5inch, they seem pretty legit, I will see if i can post a picture of them... hey even have a lip on the outside so when the exhaust pressure hits it they will actually seal tighter, to eliminate leaks... but thats in a perfect world so we will see!

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
see it! I cant wait to hear it!!!!!!!
:lol That, too, but a big factor for me is if it will look better or worse. ;) I like the look of the standard Saleen one, personally. Do you have Mac LTHs to match your pro-chamber, or do you have other LTHs?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts