Votes: 164 57.5%
  • Against

Votes: 121 42.5%

• Total voters
361 - 380 of 2009 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm completely for it. My views on the subject are exactly like Louie C.K.'s standup routine, which makes an alarming amount of sense. If two people who want to be with each other, share there lives with each other, and love each other enough, why stop them? Because people say "how am I supposed to explain to my kid that two guys are married"...so you're telling me that two guys who love each other cant be together because you can't talk to your stupid ****ing kid?

How does the argument against gay marriage end up in court?

"Your honor, he can't be married, hes a faggot!"

Louis CK On Gay Marriage - Alligator Sunglasses

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Probably gonna end up offending someone...eh I ****ing hate gay people. It's immorally wrong. It's gross as ****. And more than half of them like to make sure the world knows they're gay. So it makes it annoying as hell.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Probably gonna end up offending someone...eh I ****ing hate gay people. It's immorally wrong. It's gross as ****. And more than half of them like to make sure the world knows they're gay. So it makes it annoying as hell.
I think some of them do it just to piss off people that share your opinion.

To put it in a proper metaphor for this forum, a large portion of us enjoy revving our loud exhausts at rude old ladies just for the sake of being obnoxious because we know they don't like it. Same concept.

·
7,909 Posts
You mean "morally" wrong, assuming you have a set of morals that everyone should follow.

I still think the only reason people don't want gays to marry is because of their diety, whichever they follow forbids it. Which is stupid anyway because nobody walks a straight line for their diety. If you've gotten drunk, theres a tick against you, **** before marriage, ruh roh.

My argument is, if you take religion out of the equation and quit trying to force your belief system into law over others, this **** would get fixed.

·
Registered
987 Posts
My argument is, if you take religion out of the equation and quit trying to force your belief system into law over others, this **** would get fixed.
I agree to some extent, I don't think religion is the 100% factor of it, there are some people out there who are not religious and are still against gay marriage, but I do agree with your point of people forcing their beliefs on others.

The United States of America was founded upon the separation of church and state, but people still attempt to convert their religious beliefs into law. There are certainly some moral codes that are uniform across religions that are very much true: do not murder, do not steal, do not rape, etc. But these are the basic laws society needs to function and whether you are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Agnostic, or Atheist we call all agree those things are wrong and there should be laws against them. However, homosexuality and the "sanctity of marriage" do, as you said, ultimately boil down to religious beliefs. By the concept of separation of church and state there should be no laws based strictly on religious beliefs.

I believe gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry, but for some reason people who hold religious beliefs against them getting married somehow seem to think their beliefs are superior to others' beliefs and therefore they are always right because their religious book said so. I'm not preaching against religion or any God that you choose to worship, but to be hypocritical enough to believe your beliefs are better than others' beliefs just because of your religion is a textbook definition of hypocrisy. To use the Bible as an example, simply because I have not studied the Koran in anywhere near the depth to which I have studied the Bible, you will find the Book which you hold very sacred preaches against hypocrisy to a great extent, much more so than the handful of references to homosexuality made by Paul. In fact, at the time Paul wrote those small texts preaching against homosexuality it was mainly aimed at the Greeks, who were arguably even more engaged in and open to the practice than modern America (the word lesbian has its roots in the Greek language).

The Bible makes small mentions of homosexuality in a few texts written by Paul, who one could argue had the interests of preservation of the church in a dark time and was merely fighting anything "unpure" to preserve the church's image as beacon of light amongst the ills of the societies of the time. The Bible makes many more mentions of hypocrisy and talks about hypocrites in great detail throughout the books.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Should any Christians care to argue the supremacy of their God over any other religion's God, I will gladly show you that yours is actually the most altered religion in comparison to the Jewish and Muslim faiths. I had over 15 years of both Southern Baptist and private Christian school drilled into me, I will be more than happy to point some things out.

Possibly the most interesting deity in the Christian religion is Asherah. Never heard of her? Well, in ancient times she was Yaweh's wife but she was talked about in the later books of the Old Testament. At least until the Roman Catholic Church rewrote her out of the Bible in the early part of the first millennium in order to solidify Christianity under one deity (she seemed to have been "lost" in the translation of the Old Testament from Hebrew to Latin). Not to mention the majority of the Christian holidays are actually placed around the pagan holidays of the time, but given a specific Christian meaning as to separate that holiday from the "heathen" holidays.

The Torah has been well preserved over time because the current Hebrew language is not far from Old Hebrew, and it is fundamentally unchanged over time along with a few other texts such as Isaiah and Psalms which have been found in their original Old Hebrew on ancient scrolls. Notice how they never really adopted many later books, particularly the New Testament as they were written in Greek and Latin and have undergone many changes through the years as well as large variations in translation (try reading some of the Old Germanic texts that were pre-Gutenburg and there are a lot if interesting variations, particularly with Peter).

Possibly the purest religious book to date would be the Koran since the Arabic language is almost unchanged since the original writing of the book. It was written in one language and its words are still chanted and read the world over in its original context. One day I would really like to learn enough Arabic to dig into the Koran in its original form, because many Muslims I have spoken with have told me that while its English translations hold value, its poetry and prose are best enjoyed in Arabic.

I'm not trying to point out a "true" religion, one can argue Gods and the afterlife until we all turn blue in the face and in reality no one knows for absolute certain what happens when we die. I'm mearly pointing out a few of the facts that I have found in my years of studying multiple religions, but my studies have focused primarily on the Yaweh based religions and I haven't dug very far into the polytheistic and Far Eastern religions enough to say much about them.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
You mean "morally" wrong, assuming you have a set of morals that everyone should follow.

I still think the only reason people don't want gays to marry is because of their diety, whichever they follow forbids it. Which is stupid anyway because nobody walks a straight line for their diety. If you've gotten drunk, theres a tick against you, **** before marriage, ruh roh.

My religion isn't in this argument. Gays are ****ing nasty. I don't care to know two men take it in the butt together. Or make out intensely at night. Nor do I ever want to watch a man dress like a ****ing woman. And show his junk because the pants are so small.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My religion isn't in this argument. Gays are ****ing nasty. I don't care to know two men take it in the butt together. Or make out intensely at night. Nor do I ever want to watch a man dress like a ****ing woman. And show his junk because the pants are so small.
its guys like you that led the charge against black people in the civil rights era. Who gives a flying **** about other people...they offend you so they are, by nature wrong? A human is a human and no matter how you look at it, every human has rights. This argument is about whether those rights are "acceptable" under modern standards, noone here cares that your such a homophobe that you have to trash them like you have been personally and gravely offended by one. I mean its not like some guy murdered your parents and then butt ****ed his boyfriend right in front of you, at least then you would have some semblance of an excuse to hate on them.

I suggest you get some perspective in this life otherwise its gonna come down hard on you. and yes, gay pun 100% intended :D

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
so, you don't think they should get married for the simple fact that you don't like what they do in the privacy of their bedroom??

quit peeping there thomas.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
its guys like you that led the charge against black people in the civil rights era. Who gives a flying **** about other people...they offend you so they are, by nature wrong? A human is a human and no matter how you look at it, every human has rights. This argument is about whether those rights are "acceptable" under modern standards, noone here cares that your such a homophobe that you have to trash them like you have been personally and gravely offended by one. I mean its not like some guy murdered your parents and then butt ****ed his boyfriend right in front of you, at least then you would have some semblance of an excuse to hate on them.

I suggest you get some perspective in this life otherwise its gonna come down hard on you. and yes, gay pun 100% intended :D
Just some perspective. You mention the part in larger font. But obviously you care enough about his beliefs to get at least a little riled up by his opinion. If you truely didn't give a "flying **** about other people" then you wouldn't feel the need to respond. It's like all the people in my town who preach about tolerance. But they only tolerate the people who have the same views as them. It's just a little irony.

My point is that you should always practice what you preach. If you truely don't care about what other people think, what's the purpose of the heated response? At some point you have to care about what someone else thinks because they're going to be the ones pushing for the laws you want.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Just some perspective. You mention the part in larger font. But obviously you care enough about his beliefs to get at least a little riled up by his opinion. If you truely didn't give a "flying **** about other people" then you wouldn't feel the need to respond. It's like all the people in my town who preach about tolerance. But they only tolerate the people who have the same views as them. It's just a little irony.

My point is that you should always practice what you preach. If you truely don't care about what other people think, what's the purpose of the heated response? At some point you have to care about what someone else thinks because they're going to be the ones pushing for the laws you want.
I should have expressed it better, what I meant was who gives a flying **** about other people and their lifestyles...Perhaps what I should have written was Why do you give a flying **** about other people. Practicing what I preach isn't the issue here, because I believe that if gays want to be married, let them. I was merely defending my point in this argument, and I do care about other people. Just because I use that in an argument about a topic doesn't mean its my true belief, more like a tool to present my opinion. I'm tolerant of all views along with my own, but I have a right to disagree when someone presents an opinion based on pure ignorance. At the end of the day, I'm going to lay down in my bed and not feel at all affected by what goes on on this forum, but I still voice my opinions when the opportunity arises.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
so, you don't think they should get married for the simple fact that you don't like what they do in the privacy of their bedroom??

quit peeping there thomas.
I didn't say just the bed room parts. There's a lot of public action I'd rather not see. As in holding hands, kissing, clothing, talking, and pride. Also the fact you make a joke about it I have to listen to a man bitch cry in public because he doesn't find it funny. You chose that life, now your gonna get made fun of. Deal with it. And go ahead throw any joke at me that you would like. I'm pretty sure they're isn't a harmful straight joke out there.

I love my best friend Joel, but I would not hold hands with him and dress like a woman because of it. I wouldn't talk like a woman nor would I cuddle with him. It's sick to see that in public. Plus half the people don't even know how gays were started. They just say "oh I was born like that" news flash, I'm pretty sure you weren't in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, maybe even 7th grade! And say "oh my god my science teacher who is a guy is so hot" and I'm sure you didn't have the hits for that Scott kid in the back of the room. I have a feeling Sally was on your mind but since girls were either mean to you or your parents don't know how to raise you or you are just getting simple feelings mixed up, you don't like her now.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
I should have expressed it better, what I meant was who gives a flying **** about other people and their lifestyles...
Probably because some lifestyles like to be proud about it. You can be gay, go for it, but I'm not gonna sit in public and watch it.

Oh also, when new York legalized gay marriage or wherever it was, gay marriages didn't rise, they actually fell a bit. People just want gay to be accepted because they want attention and have nothing else to do.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
^again I ask, because something offends you, is it by nature, wrong? Your main argument seems to be here that you are against the very nature of homosexuality because you don't want to see it. "People just want gay to be accepted because they want attention and have nothing else to do." so because someone with a belief and a lifestyle isn't accepted by society and is branded an outcast, when they strive for acceptance its wrong? If this belief held strong America would be full of white, light eyed, light haired anglo-saxons, with no minorities allowed because acceptance is wrong to strive for.

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
Probably because some lifestyles like to be proud about it. You can be gay, go for it, but I'm not gonna sit in public and watch it.

Oh also, when new York legalized gay marriage or wherever it was, gay marriages didn't rise, they actually fell a bit. People just want gay to be accepted because they want attention and have nothing else to do.
riddle me this batman?? HUH???

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
I don't see how two dudes, two girls, or a girl/guy couple are any more disgusting / obnoxious than the other when publicly groping.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Let me re state this. You can be gay if you want. Just don't do it in public where most of us who don't care for it can't see it. And yes same with lesbians. I hate it, it's nasty, I don't want to see it so nice try. Also it is different seeing two dudes and two girls rather than a girl and guy make out. What makes it so not different? The fact it's not seen everyday

"what makes not being normal so bad" nothing. I'm not normal myself :lol but two dudes and two girls getting it on in the movie theaters makes me uncomfortable and I really don't like it. Now if your in privacy and don't talk about it often. I'm fine with that. The people that make the world knows they're gay that's a different story.

361 - 380 of 2009 Posts