Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new windshield, and before I got a chance to put Rain X or any protection on it, a tree I parked near at school dropped a bunch of little leaves all over my car (looked like little flower pedals.) I didnt think anything of it, but when I went to move it a day later I put the windshield wipers on none of the leaves came off. Came to figure out that they were covered in sap, and I picked them off my car one by one by hand. I washed it 3 or 4 days later when I went home and the sap didnt come off. I was able to get it off the paint by using a paint prep and lots of elbow grease (and the paint had a fresh coat of wax before this happened)

The glass in my car is still covered in little spots of sap and I have NO idea how to get it off. I tried the paint prep, multiple washes with car soap, windex, armor-all glass cleaner, and even razor blades. Nothing works, not even conventional de-bugging/tar removal stuff. What else should I try to get this sap off? Its really getting annoying having streaks across my windshield.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
rain x sucks just to start off

and go get goo gone at autozone

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
oh and you could also clay bar it as well

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried goo gone + rubbing and then a razor blade, neither worked. The clay bar worked really well for the paint, but didnt do much for the glass... I've never seen crap this resilient before

·
Photoshop Junkie
1,445 Posts
Maybe try acetone or alcohol. We use both at work for cleaning optical lenses. Just keep the acetone away from your paint.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
There are quite a few ways to go about this. Goof Off or Goo Gone like suggested can and should work depending on the type of sap and how long it's been there, etc. However this isn't what I would do if it were my vehicle or any vehicle I was detailing. Wash the window with car shampoo, leaving the soap on the windshield, than using a plastic or metal razor blade to remove the sap. Just keep enough soap & water on the windshield to act as a lube and you will be golden.

rain x sucks just to start off
Rain-X isn't that bad.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Presoak with Zep citrus at 3:1 in spray bottle or pressurized sprayer but do this at dusk so you can let it sit on the vehicle for 5 to 7 minutes without worrying about chemical etching. Then do a two bucket wash with Zep citrus at 3:1 and add 2oz of Dawn that should cut it. Zep citrus can be bought at home depot for $10 a gallon its a great APC and should break it down without a problem.

Reactions: ReedsFX4

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are quite a few ways to go about this. Goof Off or Goo Gone like suggested can and should work depending on the type of sap and how long it's been there, etc. However this isn't what I would do if it were my vehicle or any vehicle I was detailing. Wash the window with car shampoo, leaving the soap on the windshield, than using a plastic or metal razor blade to remove the sap. Just keep enough soap & water on the windshield to act as a lube and you will be golden.
Thanks, I'll give this a try once it finally stops raining

Presoak with Zep citrus at 3:1 in spray bottle or pressurized sprayer but do this at dusk so you can let it sit on the vehicle for 5 to 7 minutes without worrying about chemical etching. Then do a two bucket wash with Zep citrus at 3:1 and add 2oz of Dawn that should cut it. Zep citrus can be bought at home depot for $10 a gallon its a great APC and should break it down without a problem.
I'll give this a try too if NastyStang's method doesnt work

Reps all around

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Along with Danny's method, try using a nice warm water in both your Zep presoak and your wash bucket to soften the sap.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Along with Danny's method, try using a nice warm water in both your Zep presoak and your wash bucket to soften the sap.
:yes Just make sure you do this wash when the sun is setting or barely rising to prevent chemical etching;)

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NastyStangs method worked well, it took off the concentrated spots of sap after a while. I might try Danny's method for my rear window, which has this crap all spread out over it, not in built up spots.

First I have to go wage war on caterpillars though. The trees in my driveway are full of them and every time I wash or just leave my car out there for 5 mins its covered in caterpillar crap :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts