Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2003 Sonic Money Pit
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Need to know (more so verify) what the torque spec is for the end link nuts on a 94-04 GT. I have had some trouble finding consistent answers from the web and when asking other mustang friends. What I have found it they should be torqued to 14ftlbs (168inch lbs). Is this the correct spec? Lastly I was under the assumption that this should be done with the suspension unloaded (sitting on stands) but I have had people tell me that I should do the final torque with suspension loaded (had another say half loaded) and it just doesn't sound right to me. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Hello all!
Need to know (more so verify) what the torque spec is for the end link nuts on a 94-04 GT. I have had some trouble finding consistent answers from the web and when asking other mustang friends. What I have found it they should be torqued to 14ftlbs (168inch lbs). Is this the correct spec? Lastly I was under the assumption that this should be done with the suspension unloaded (sitting on stands) but I have had people tell me that I should do the final torque with suspension loaded (had another say half loaded) and it just doesn't sound right to me. Any help would be appreciated!
14 ft-lb sounds familiar to me. It's been awhile since I did my front endlinks. When I did mine, I did not torque them to spec. Rather, I made them tight as I felt comfortable (I estimated 14 lbs of force with a 12 in socket wrench) and 20k+ miles later they're still there working.

To answer your question again, yes, 14 ft lbs seems to me to be the correct torque spec for the front swaybar endlinks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I way overtightened mine :) I used a freaking impact (on a low setting) and ran that thing up until it stopped....took like 3 seconds rather than sitting with a rachet...im too lazy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've got the Ford Dealer service manual and the 14ft-lbs of torque as well as having the suspension unloaded is correct.

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
I way overtightened mine :) I used a freaking impact (on a low setting) and ran that thing up until it stopped....took like 3 seconds rather than sitting with a rachet...im too lazy.
The only argument I can see against this method is premature bushing damage. Overloading a bushing too much will cause it to deform and possibly split under high loading conditions.

·
2003 Sonic Money Pit
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! Dexdiman, do you have a link to the service manual?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

The only argument I can see against this method is premature bushing damage. Overloading a bushing too much will cause it to deform and possibly split under high loading conditions.

This is the reason why this post exists because I had a failure on my suspension and feared it was from over torque the end links. I have a combo of MM and Eibach stuff and the MM sway bar bushing bracket sheered apart when it was struck by a piece of asphalt that got kicked up when I was driving to work. My fear was I had placed too much strain on the component leading to it just needing to be whacked really good to push it over the edge.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine have been fine for 2+ years driving 80 miles a day for my commute in the rain, snow, salt, etc...I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;)

·
Another slow GT
661 Posts
Mine have been fine for 2+ years driving 80 miles a day for my commute in the rain, snow, salt, etc...I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;)
Hey, I don't blame you! I wasn't too worried about torque spec either... typically I'm not, but I just got done swapping a new motor in the car because I blew a plug after... you guessed it, not torquing the plugs down properly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thank you all! Dexdiman, do you have a link to the service manual?
No, sorry I don't. It's a program I bought a few years ago when I got my car. I do know people have found a way to unlock it, so there are free downloads available now or you can pick them up on eBay for under $20.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Honestly I know I'll get some back lash for this. But it really doesnt matter. Once you see it start to compress its fine. I road course race mine, it gets the piss beaten out of it. As long as its not loose it will preform the same.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Honestly I know I'll get some back lash for this. But it really doesnt matter. Once you see it start to compress its fine. I road course race mine, it gets the piss beaten out of it. As long as its not loose it will preform the same.
I've done this in the past and while true, to gain the maximum amount of life from a bushing you want to follow tq specs so the bushing isn't overloaded. But to each their own. It's pretty cheap to replace these even going with Moog parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts