Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 99 automatic v6 at about 99k miles.
I'm not sure how well the last owner took care of the engine buuuut.

I have a few feelings the engine is going south.
I've cleand the IAC, the MAF, and replaced the EGR Vavle and Sensor.
This car is still throwing EGR and OBD2 codes and acting funky when stopped.
Some of you know the problem.

You sit at a lot and the rpms drop and waver and then shoot up almost launching you into the car ahead of you.

Anyway, to my main point. If the engine were to somehow die.
Would it be worth it to just swap it out for a 5.0 out of a 94-95 car.
I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on one easily.

I heard all I'll need is the engine with the accessories, radiator and bellhousing for my car.
But what was torres saying about our cars being or not being returnless fuel system style and the 5.0s are or arent?

anyways. opinions please.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure if I had to get a new engine anyways, why not?
The 5.0 swap isn't too hard, and I have a friend that is pretty damn skilled in swapping engines so..

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
if u have the stuff and a friend that can do it go 4 it. i just dont think its worth it but its ur car. good luck either way u go

·
Registered
151 Posts
you also need to change your tranny and backend.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
you just need to chang the bellhousing and a nice t-lock can handle the power from a stock 5.0

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could have sworn it was 85 and they had traction locks in them... but im not to sure
I'm just taking what I read from the other thread with the guy that wanted to know about a 5.0 swap.
Then torres and whats his nuts got into a big argument.

·
Registered
300 Posts
you can go the easy route and just build your motor using your existing accessories overall = you get a badass sixxer isntead of a stock 5.0 which is close to the same BHP..
Or you can swap in like a 4.2 or 4.3 six.. BUT if you're really sold on the v8 idead [which isn't a bad one] I would work on stroking, boring, porting, bolt-on just do every mod within your desired HP numbers before you put it in. That way when you put it in your not disappointed.. Because bolt-ons will put you beyond a stock 5.0 and close to a new edge 4.6

Like me personally.. I'd wait just [so it makes sense money wise] for my motor to need a rebuild then do it all at once and get a 4.2 w/ built upper & lower end, cam and everything should make you enough power to be beyond 4.6 2v's it would be hard to say past that point though depending on what all you do and how you do it.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
you have a vacuum leak off your egr valve, its nothing big man.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
you can go the easy route and just build your motor using your existing accessories overall = you get a badass sixxer isntead of a stock 5.0 which is close to the same BHP..
Or you can swap in like a 4.2 or 4.3 six.. BUT if you're really sold on the v8 idead [which isn't a bad one] I would work on stroking, boring, porting, bolt-on just do every mod within your desired HP numbers before you put it in. That way when you put it in your not disappointed.. Because bolt-ons will put you beyond a stock 5.0 and close to a new edge 4.6

Like me personally.. I'd wait just [so it makes sense money wise] for my motor to need a rebuild then do it all at once and get a 4.2 w/ built upper & lower end, cam and everything should make you enough power to be beyond 4.6 2v's it would be hard to say past that point though depending on what all you do and how you do it.
Everyone on here says their ganna buld up their v6.... no one does.

·
Banned
808 Posts
WRONG
the 7.5 will do fine until he starts upping the power

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
my gforce t-5 should be done by the end of the week, already swapped the rear, and i think the motor might be done by the end of the month (dont quote me on that but chris sounded optimistic) and then i gota pull the **** out and swap. break it in, and get it tuned for a hella fast v6.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts