Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not related. BUT nonetheless one problem sucks, let alone two.

FIRST, lately there has been a kind of "whirring" or "whizzing" sound, sounds to me like bearings vibrating around in their races (at least thats what i visualize). It goes away after the car is warm. It's not to loud under the hood, so it's not a pulley and it sounds much louder from inside the car and when i stick my head down behind the front wheels. I haven't had it up in the air yet. Maybe the throwout bearing in the clutch? God I hope not. Any suggestions???

SECOND, now that the weather's been cooling off-- twice now on my way to work early in the morning-- the car stalled when approaching a stop from 3rd or 4th gear, no gas (letting the engine brake) then hitting the clutch. When it doesn't stall, the RPMs drop way down to like 300/400 when i can catch it real quick and rev it once. Then it levels out and runs smooth otherwise. Any ideas?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I am on a TIGHT budget right now. THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
for your first question does the sound go away when you put pressure on the clutch a little, if so then its your TOB.

As far as the stalling issue is concerned, you will be surprised to know that it is almost a common issue with our vehicles especially after getting parts installed.

What do you have done to the vehicle? If you can tell us maybe we can find something that you need to check.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thanks for the reply.
It makes the sound in neutral and in gear, whether the clutch is engaged or not, and usually louder when the car is first started and then kind of intermittent less and less as it warms up.

As for mods, they are all listed in the sig and have all been on the car for over 2 years since I bought it. The only recent change was a new set of NGK tr55 plugs I put in a month or two ago.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
First thanks for the reply.
It makes the sound in neutral and in gear, whether the clutch is engaged or not, and usually louder when the car is first started and then kind of intermittent less and less as it warms up.

As for mods, they are all listed in the sig and have all been on the car for over 2 years since I bought it. The only recent change was a new set of NGK tr55 plugs I put in a month or two ago.
no problem. are you sure that the sound is coming from behind the front wheels? is it a chattering, clanking sound? I would try and get a hold of either an automotive stethescope, long piece of wood (broom handle), or a long screwdriver and try to pinpoint the location of the sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MY 01 cobra does the same stalling thing. I changed the MAF and put on a new IAC. I think im gonna do fuel filter and new plugs next. And my TOB in mine squeaks untill i press the clutch a tiny bit in. So Im gonna get a Spec clutch and a ford TOB for it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
^ see what i mean:) i did all the above that you mentioned and still every once and awhile it still does it. Got alot better with the tune but every once and awhiel she still does it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MY 01 cobra does the same stalling thing. I changed the MAF and put on a new IAC. I think im gonna do fuel filter and new plugs next. And my TOB in mine squeaks untill i press the clutch a tiny bit in. So Im gonna get a Spec clutch and a ford TOB for it.
So the problem got worse, and it completely died on my way to work today. It took five minutes before it would start again, and then i had to keep it revved above 3 grand to keep it running the last block to work. Then i had it towed home.
I already did the plugs, gonna do a new fuel filter this weekend. How do you test the MAF to see if its good?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
get a multimeter and check the voltage on the reference wire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts