Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i keep noticing in adds or in some Mustang mags these words Romeo & Windsors.

what are they talking about :confused:

thanks.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Now i notice you have an 01. There are a couple ways to tell which one ya got. I never really cared too much.

·
Registered
600 Posts
they're two different manufacturing plants that the 4.6's are made out of, the way to tell which you have is the romeo has 11 bolts on the valve covers and the windors have 13. Theres no differece in performance or anything just minor manufacturing ****.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There both the names of the counties where the plants are that make the motors... I forgot what states but heres an example... Romeo, Georgia... ya you get it. But theres a few things different about the Romeo Motors put out, and the Windsors

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i think the windsors have dowels on the main caps, and the romeros have jack screws.. but im not positive

oh and all the stuff stated above

·
Registered
922 Posts
There are differences in the crank, heads, flywheel, front cover, and some other various things. Ill post up more detail this afternoon if someone else doesnt beat me to it

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
windsor 8 bolt crank so you can put a cobra flywheel, romeo 6 bolt crank
The 6 bolt cranks were also used in the Windsor motors. Windsor had to use some truck cranks in the Mustangs, because they couldn't keep up with production numbers. However, the 8 bolt cranks are still cast just like the 6 bolts (before anybody gets confused).

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have an extra 8 bolt if anyone wants it :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts