Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to town today to take of some stuff. Anyway when I got home I went to rerun my power for my amp and noticed a pretty big scratch on the driver side rear bumper. It is just below the trunk, its about 7-8inch wide and about 2-3inchs tall. There is no dent, just a scuff. I was wondering if anyone has any sort of advice on how to maybe buff it out. However its a deep scratch. Any adivce is welcome. Thanks

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Rule of Thumb:

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, its normally too deep to get out with buffing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went out there and checked it, its got a sand paper fell to it.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Hmmm... that sounds like it took some of the paint with it then. Im no body shop repair guy so im speculating at best here. I would say its safe to assume its too deep to buff out if it has that feeling to it. It prolly went down past the clear coat which is what your smooth out when buffing.

If you want some better advice, pm Travisafx. He does body work and could direct you better.

That or swing by a body shop tomorrow. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ill send him a PM. I have read some of his stuff he seems very knowledgeable. Thanks alot.

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
its probably gonna have to be sanded, sprayed and cleared if it has a sandpaper like texture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not saying its true but, I have heard if you just paint one part of the body, say the hood or bumper, it stands out. My old boss had his door repainted and it stuck out like a sore thumb, but then again that could have been wrong color matching. I dont know if its true or not.

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
it depends on how its painted. The painter can either get the right color and spray it and it wont match the fade, or they can blend it and you'll never notice.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
It depeneds on the painter, the color, and the sunlight Lol.

My Fender has been repainted. On a overcast cloudy day you can tell... but on a sunny day its hard to see.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Sanding marks can be buffed out with a rotary buffer pretty easily. If it's a true scratch, you'll have to take it to a painter.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I got a fairly deep gash about 3" long on my jet ski. It's fiberglass (I'm pretty sure) and it has that clear gel coat on it. Is there any compound I can use to fill in the gash?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I would imagine either Fiberglass or bondo... but again, im not a body guy... PM Travis, he knows this stuff like the back of his hand.

·
Rebel Of The Sacred Heart
2,338 Posts
If you could post a picture of your bumper that would be nice.

If youre saying it feels like sandpaper, then they are probably to deep to be sanded and buffed out, a pic would help me help you better. If they arent past the clearcoat you could try to wet sand them out and buff it back to a shine with a buffer.

About getting it repainted and not matching: If its right in the middle of the bumper like you said the color can be blended "inside" the bumper. Then the whole bumper would get cleared. With no new color being sprayed on the sides where it butts up to the quarter panels you will have no problem with it matching. Any good painter could blend the basecoat over the repair area and into the remaining good good paint on the bumper, and clear the whole thing and you would never know its been repainted.

·
2,338 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I got a fairly deep gash about 3" long on my jet ski. It's fiberglass (I'm pretty sure) and it has that clear gel coat on it. Is there any compound I can use to fill in the gash?

If it was me I would use a gelcoat paste to repair it. It is not really that hard of a repair to preform.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Travis, I will get a picture up here if possible tomorrow, just got off of work and its to dark.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here you go Travis, sorry it took so long, you know the holidays

·
2,338 Posts
Well the scuff marks MIGHT be able to be taken out with some wet sanding and buffing, but they look to deep to get out to me.

But it will need to be repainted anyways to fix the scratches that are down to the plastic on the bodyline above the scuff marks. But they are all in an area that can be blended inside the bumper so you wont have to worry about color matching.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Personally I would wet sand and buff the **** out of it and call it a day.

I don't know how anal you are about your bumpers but I used to be super anal and one time I spent like 6 hours fixing a front bumper to have it hit 3 days later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts