Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would put this here since its more drag specific than model specific.

I would recommend anyone with a track only set of slicks to do this. It is cheap insurance that you wont spin a rim which will hurt your 60' times.

Most screw kits come with 35 screws and are for one tire ea. usually 32 screws with 3 spares. On most cars this is way over kill. I decided to go with 18 screws per wheel. This is best done with the tire already mounted on the wheel. Air the tire up to the highest it can go. Most tires will tell you on the sidewall. My Hoosiers said not to exceed 40psi while mounting, so I aired mine up to 35 psi to be safe. Airing them up high like this makes the bead push harder on the rim and takes any slack out of the rubber.

Figure out what your spacing would be to give you equal spacing all the way around. With the 9 holes I chose, 5.25" is what the spacing was between my screws. With a divider, find the location of your first hole. Put one side of the divider on your mark and use the other side to locate where the next hole will be. Do this all the way around the wheel

Next, set the divider the distance to set the screw in from the edge of the rim, I went a little over half the diameter of the screw head.

To make it easier to drill the holes, center punch the location of the cross marks left from scribing the location holes

next, drill the holes on your marks. While drilling them, angle the drill so the tip is facing slightly towards the tread of the tire. (so the top of the drill will be angled towards the center of the wheel)

Using an impact of drill, slowly screw in the screws. Be careful not to use to much power, you could strip the threads of the screw.

Repeat until you have all the screws in

Reactions: Shaun13GT/CS

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
nice job dude, this the second time i have read this today lol

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good write up.. My wheels only have 5 holes. One at the tip of each spoke.
5 is enough screws. I went with 9 because thats the biggest my divider would go and still have them come out to equally spaced

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
5 is enough screws. I went with 9 because thats the biggest my divider would go and still have them come out to equally spaced
its all good. a couple more screws never hurt anybody. ;) I hope i dont have to screw mine anytime soon.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do yourself a favor and put a mark on the tire by the valve stem. That will tell you whether or not the rim is spinning in the tire

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
could you post a link to the type of screws you went with?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Would like to add, the screws need to be exactly the same spot on both sides of the rim. If you have ever noticed, the wrinkle in a tire now will stem from the screws and if they are not concientent side to side, the wrinkles won't be even and will cause balling up issues.

·