Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I bought my car used, with several aftermarket parts, including an SCT tuner preloaded. I tried today to load a different tune, got error 1034. It said if the car wouldn't start, to return to stock. I tried to return to stock, but the tuner gave error 1016. Had to have the car towed home. Any ideas why this happened, and what I can do to fix? Tried searching for both error codes on this forum, but came up with nothing.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
i get that every so often..... it wont let your return to stock until you unplug the battery for a few mins.... then you can finally return to stock and then put the tune back on

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I unplugged the negative terminal for over 2 hours. Tried to return to stock about 10-12 times, no luck. Have to add, I have a Boss intake, and 90 mm TB/CAI combo, along with O/R X pipe, so stock tune is not an option. I need to go back to stock them upload one of the custom tunes.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Also, this is on the 2012 in my sig.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
i understand you are modded and cant run the stock tune. Look at my sig. When it happens to me, I unplug the SCT, battery, and then keep trying to return to stock until it lets me. (it could take a few tries). Then i revert to stock. Immediately after, i put the custom tune back on.

I never looked to see what error code i got.

I have to ask, you didnt update your sct device while a custom tune was still on your car, did you? This could cause an issue. You have to have your car returned to stock when you update your device.

I would call BAMA asap. They can help you out. Im sure of it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't call Bama, it's an SCT issue. Have a laptop in the car on Wifi, they will have a tech remote your computer and work it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not updated the tuner. 1st time I have tried a different tune.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know if it will work for you but this is what I did when I had the same problem. Call Sct themselves tell them whats going on and that your car won't return to stock. They're gonna need to remotely access your tuner so you're gonna have to be near a computer. They can retrieve your stock tune and all other files on your tuner once they get remote access. Just be patient cause its gonna take a couple of hours. Good luck I know its frustrating but it can be straightened out with some patient

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got it started. SCT had to send me an update for the SF3 tuner; it allowed me to return to stock then upload the custom tune. Whew!! Tragedy averted!! Thanks to SCT for great customer service.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i just saw your thread, i know you already got the answer... but i'll give you my 2cents anyway... i was gonna say, that i had a similar issue when i bought my SCT tuner(used) I tried to upload the tunes and when i did it completely killed the car. it wouldn't do anything.

SCT has awesome customer service. the rep stayed on the line with me til i got the problem fixed. he walked me through step by step how to update the device (my computer was blocking the update from being installed on the tuner) he showed me exactly how to fix it and helped me upload the tune.

at the time i was brand new to tuning (still am) and i was thinking that my car was now a brick.

so +1000000 for SCT having great customer service.

glad you got your car running again.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
IMPORTANT. My tuner just told me that if you try to change tunes while the engine is hot, it will fail every time. He said he had the same issue with his TT 5.0 and 2c5s roush. Gotta open the hood, let it cool, and then load the tune.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMPORTANT. My tuner just told me that if you try to change tunes while the engine is hot, it will fail every time. He said he had the same issue with his TT 5.0 and 2c5s roush. Gotta open the hood, let it cool, and then load the tune.
If this is true, how do they perform a dyno tune?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's cold in the shop and they have a huge fan blowing on everything with the hood open
Not sure I agree with that... If a tuner can speak up and confirm what you are saying then I will concede. But I am in Alabama... my tuner does not have A/C in his shop... and blowing hot air is not gonna cool an engine.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
Keep in mind I'm not 100% sure the context in which that warning was given; however I can tell you that adjustments can be made just fine as long as the vehicle in question is within operating temp. In fact, that is where 95% of a calibration should be written. The other 5% is done when cold for certain areas of the calibration, both engine and transmission if an auto, where drive ability becomes an issue if you don't calibrate those areas. However, the process should be stopped if the vehicle is above operating temp. In most cases a set of squirrel cage style blowers and a few large fans are enough to keep a vehicle within operating temp for long enough to make a pull or two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
my case and point... today on the dyno.... no failed sct download errors......we must have flashed it about 7 or 8 times.

....one street test later for street tuning and about 10 mins to cool down..... sct download error. I had to go to stock and put the tune back on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In case anyone still cares, Shaun from AED was able to help me troubleshoot this. In my case, it was due to a voltage drop from the headlights being on AUTO. When I turned them to OFF, everything worked perfectly. I was able to return the car to stock and load the custom tune.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
I had the same issue while I was at the strip Thursday night.

The car was hot straight off a pass on the 93P tune. I tried to flash the 93R tune. No dice. Download failed. Unhooked the batt, reset to stock, then tried to reflash with all 3 tunes at seperate times. Each time the download failed. Only the stock tune would reload after unhooking the battery.

Big thanks to Marc for dealing with me on the phone and putting up with my swearing. lol

There's a few things I think that may have caused the issue.

1)I had the GPS plugged in when I tried to flash. Maybe the voltage drop from the GPS caused the issue? Unlikely but possible.

2)Like previously mentioned, my car was very hot and heat soaked straight off a 1/4 pass. Does it really make a difference? Idk

3)The key cycles weren't given enough time before pressing continue on the handheld.

I've been told by Bama that it's a must to give the ECM ample time to power down between key cycles and pressing continue. 7-10 seconds.

What I ended up having to do was updating my tuner and having Bama resend my tunes to reload to the tuner. Now I'm running the 93R tune. Haven't tried switching out again yet.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I always hook a battery charger up when swapping tunes to keep the battery charged. But one of the most important things that's need to be done is saving your stock tune to your computer if you have any issues. This way SCT will be able to help you otherwise you'll be towing the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
159 Posts

The car was hot straight off a pass on the 93P tune. I tried to flash the 93R tune. No dice. Download failed. Unhooked the batt, reset to stock, then tried to reflash with all 3 tunes at seperate times. Each time the download failed. Only the stock tune would reload after unhooking the battery.

Big thanks to Marc for dealing with me on the phone and putting up with my swearing. lol

1)I had the GPS plugged in when I tried to flash. Maybe the voltage drop from the GPS caused the issue? Unlikely but possible.

2)Like previously mentioned, my car was very hot and heat soaked straight off a 1/4 pass. Does it really make a difference? Idk

3)The key cycles weren't given enough time before pressing continue on the handheld.

I've been told by Bama that it's a must to give the ECM ample time to power down between key cycles and pressing continue. 7-10 seconds.

What I ended up having to do was updating my tuner and having Bama resend my tunes to reload to the tuner. Now I'm running the 93R tune. Haven't tried switching out again yet.
Turn the headlights to OFF :)

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts

Jake, you're crazy. I didn't hear a mother****ing thing out of your *** that night. Just some bat**** crazy **** rolling out of the *o**a** phone. Did I mention I was busy as a whore on Friday night? Ended up closing the week with 62 hours, beeeeaaach!

Oh, and call or text me if you need anything else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts