Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i buy a 2001 cobra that already has a tune on it from a sct handheld. Then i buy the car and i do not have the handheld that put the new tune on it could i use a different handheld to revert it to stock?

·
Registered
140 Posts
If i buy a 2001 cobra that already has a tune on it from a sct handheld. Then i buy the car and i do not have the handheld that put the new tune on it could i use a different handheld to revert it to stock?
i believe it would depend on what "stock" tune the handheld your trying to revert has. example if i were to let you use my sct. would it be trying to put a stock gt tune into your ecu or ....unless it just removes part of the tune and your stock one is still left in your ecu. i know when i ordered mine it asked for my stock ecu serial... but i would just email sct/bama.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone confirm that the second tuner can just remove the tune from the first tuner putting the car back to stock tune?

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
when you upload a custom tune to your car you download the cars stock tune to the Handheld Tuner all your doing is swapping tunes. You need the tuner to revert it back to stock, or youll have to take it to the dealer and have them reload the stock tune. Im not sure if a tuner can revert it back to stock, but NO if you buy a new handheld you cannot revert it back to stock because it doesnt have a tune on it.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
You can load the stock tune file onto the handheld, but you'll need the Pro Racer Package software to do so.

·
Best Buy Autotech
697 Posts
You need your stock tune off the original tuner...if not you'll have to get your car reflashed at the dealership and they tend to rape ppl on the price... I think they charged my buddy like $90 to flash his f150 when his edge tuner froze when loading his tune... I know tuner complanies can send a stock tune file to you or someone that tunes but you would still need a handheld to download the tune and put it into your car... so if you dont have a handheld tuner, then your only bet is to go to the ford delership for a reflash.... but why do you want a stock tune put back on?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I asked this same question a while back on another forum. I suspect mine has a tune in it but can not confirm that. I asked if I bought an SCT with the 3 tunes in it if I can have one of the tunes as a "stock" tune....as in OEM. I was told no, and also I may not be able to download any of the 3 canned tunes without not knowing what tune is in it....that part made no sense to me. I'm still confused on the whole issue of buying a tuner if the car has a tune other than OEM to start with...Good Luck...I'll be following your outcome.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I asked this same question a while back on another forum. I suspect mine has a tune in it but can not confirm that. I asked if I bought an SCT with the 3 tunes in it if I can have one of the tunes as a "stock" tune....as in OEM. I was told no, and also I may not be able to download any of the 3 canned tunes without not knowing what tune is in it....that part made no sense to me. I'm still confused on the whole issue of buying a tuner if the car has a tune other than OEM to start with...Good Luck...I'll be following your outcome.
Who told you that? Any licensed tuner can put a stock tune file onto your handheld for you.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
It's pretty simple basically if you don't have the tuner with you when you purchase the car the stock tune is lost on the tuner that you do not have. the only way to fix this is to go to the dealer and have them reprogram the computer or get your hands on the original tuner. Unless there's another trick out there in tuner land a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Most of us don't have a tuner close by So the dealer would be more than an option for me. I don't see how to bypass the security part without a special license or software. when I had issues with my Lexus even the dealer had to send my computer away to get retuned and get all the keys to match backup. where did you find this information I would like to do a little more reading about it.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Most of us don't have a tuner close by So the dealer would be more than an option for me. I don't see how to bypass the security part without a special license or software.
A licensed tuner could email the stock tune file to the OP, who could install it on his/her handheld via a USB cable.

where did you find this information I would like to do a little more reading about it.
I've been a PRP owner/user since '06. With the package, you automatically have access to the stock tune file for whatever EEC or EEC's you're licensed for. There is a wealth of info on the SCTFlash forums, but you have to be a licensed user to access those forums.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
So the best suggestion for this person is to buy in is CT handheld tuner and have the tuner install a factory preloaded tune and his problem will be solved correct.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So the best suggestion for this person is to buy in is CT handheld tuner and have the tuner install a factory preloaded tune and his problem will be solved correct.
That is exactly what I wanted the SCT to do.....it has 3 free tunes and one tune I wanted as OEM stock, but the place said they can't do that. I don't want to mention who it was and toss that name out in case I have bad information.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just called my local Ford dealer and they said a reflash to OEM would be $80.00. Must not be a big deal because they charge that much just for shop supplies usually..

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
A licensed tuner could email the stock tune file to the OP, who could install it on his/her handheld via a USB cable.

I've been a PRP owner/user since '06. With the package, you automatically have access to the stock tune file for whatever EEC or EEC's you're licensed for. There is a wealth of info on the SCTFlash forums, but you have to be a licensed user to access those forums.
Recommend a tuner Who can do what this guys needS. and thanks for the info but most of us do anything because we don't get in that Depth with the software.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I just called my local Ford dealer and they said a reflash to OEM would be $80.00. Must not be a big deal because they charge that much just for shop supplies usually..
Good deal thats cheap ide go that route. thanks to everyone for their input I learned a little more today.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
It sounds like the OP already has the handheld. He/she would just need the file emailed to him/her.

That is exactly what I wanted the SCT to do.....it has 3 free tunes and one tune I wanted as OEM stock, but the place said they can't do that. I don't want to mention who it was and toss that name out in case I have bad information.
I can only speculate why they told you that.

Recommend a tuner Who can do what this guys needS. and thanks for the info but most of us do anything because we don't get in that Depth with the software.
There is a reason why I do my own tuning. ;) I don't have a recommendation to make in regards of who to go to for tuning.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I wish I could do my own tuning but that is one area I will just leave to the professionals. REPS to you for sharing some good info too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts