Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a problem with my SF3.

I purchased it used & unmarried about 3 months ago and I've been using the canned tunes on it with no problem. I decided I should update it since the device is about a year old and hasn't been updated since the last owner purchased it, but whenever I plug it into the computer and try to check for updates or pull the serial number I get an error stating "Cannot Read Serial Number". The software is essentially not communicating with my device, however, it's allowing me to pull my stock tune and store it no problem, so it obviously IS communicating...

Any ideas? Should I reset my ECU to stock and try updating the firmware?

SCT said they would need to remote access my computer to diagnose the problem, but I'm wondering if theres an easier way I can fix things on my own.

Thanks in advance.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
Are you putting it in firmware mode when you plug it in?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
It has been a while since I plugged mine into my PC but I seem to remember getting some message about not recognizing the device, but I skip that and just continue whatever needed to be done and everything works fine so I haven't ever worried about it or looked into it. I'm not sure if it has done it the last couple of times so I don't know if it has fixed itself or somehow put it in this firmware mode but I can do everything from data logging to loading tunes.
Can you still do everything you need to do or is it preventing you from using any of the functions?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, so far I have been able to take the stock file and put it on my desktop, and it's letting me get to the custom tune menu (although I have no custom tunes to put on it at the moment, just the canned ones), so I'm assuming everything is working aside from obtaining the serial number and automatically updating.

I know there was a "Critical Update" to the firmware a few months ago, which is why I wanted to update my device to begin with.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
That was what mine did and I just ignored it. I think that it hasn't happened since I started actually data logging and downloaded the software on my PC. I remember making a mental note that it now recognized my device, but it is a small fuzzy note because I never thought much of it either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts