Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new here and my name is Christina,

Problem: 1019 error UNLOCK ECM FAILED

I have recently purchased a brand new SCT Tuner from American Muscle.The day it came I went to install a custom tune. The first time I flashed it it went through completely fine.When I went to start my car it would not it only cranked. I tried 4 times and decided to put the stock tune back on which worked and I was able to start my car and drive it. There was no problem at all.

I tried to install a different custom tune..I followed the instructions just like I did before only this time an error pops up. ERROR 1019 UNLOCK ECM FAILED.
I called American Muscle and we went through the basics and checked the following:

Fuses under the Dash
Fuses under the hood
OBD port voltage
Previous Chip installed
Updated Firmware and Version
Re-sent New tunes from BAMA

Everything checked out okay.They told me to call SCT and I spoke with Ken and we went and checked all the same things and we used teamviewer and he checked my firmware again.And checked my tunes and re-did NEW tunes again.I went to my car while he was on the phone and tried to do a flash and the same error popped up again.

We rechecked the ECU for a chip and I pulled it out and looked at the top.The stock sticker was on covering the hole so I gently pryed it open and looked inside and everything is intact.I can see the stock chip and it has what looks like hard dried glue over the prongs.I guess to keep it clean and from damage.

SO...I sent the tuner back as American Muscle asked ..they even sent me a re shipping tag so I didn't have to pay.The next day I get a brand new tuner.
I try to upload a tune and it still will not flash at all.I tried to do a preloaded tune and that did not work either.

I flipped the key because someone said that fixed their problem. I turned the key VERY fast.I turned the key when I select begin program.I made sure the tuner was connected all the way into the OBD port for a secure connection.I checked the pins inside the OBD port and the pins are NOT bent or crimped.I checked for loose wires or disconnected wires.

I come to the conclusion that it is not my ECM because the First flash went through.The OBD port is fine because the first flash went through.There is no chip because the first flash went through.And fuses are fine I checked ALL of them three times.

I am waiting to see what AM and SCT will say Monday morning.I got the tuner Friday so they were not available on the weekends to speak to.So I sent several emails to them.

If anyone knows anything what so ever...or something I might be able to try please please let me know.I am opened to all and any ideas.I did purchase this Brand New.

My car is a :2001 V6 3.8 Base Convertible

Thank you so very much for reading this:)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think maybe theres a custom tune or chip already installed. I could be wrong, but just a guess.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hi everyone I am new here and my name is Christina,
<snip>

I try to upload a tune and it still will not flash at all.I tried to do a preloaded tune and that did not work either.

<snip>
Did you download the stock tune, to the new tuner, before trying to upload a tune? If not the tuner is not yet "married" to your car...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@ CliffYK ...Yes I did do that the first time.And then loaded a custom tune.I tried to start the car and it only cranked. I then returned it back to stock and I was able to start and drive my car.

Tried to install a different tune incase the tune was messed up and thats when the error pops up. 1019 ECM unlock failed.

When I got the second brand new tuner...It would not even let me flash it at all.It goes straight to the error when I try to begin the program.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think maybe theres a custom tune or chip already installed. I could be wrong, but just a guess.
We checked the ECM for a chip.We opened the cover on the top of it and looked inside...no chip installed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got an email this morning from American Muscle,they want me to go and try to pull a stragety code and DCT code (again). After I do that,they told me to disconnect my alarm system..it can be causing the battery to drain. I've read online and several people have expirenced this 1019 error...I will keep everyone up to date because no one has come to a conclusion yet to as why this is happening. And I am not going to give up.$389 is alot of money! Especially for something that does not work.

Thanks for your help guys..keep any ideas coming please!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
@ CliffYK ...Yes I did do that the first time.And then loaded a custom tune.I tried to start the car and it only cranked. I then returned it back to stock and I was able to start and drive my car.

Tried to install a different tune incase the tune was messed up and thats when the error pops up. 1019 ECM unlock failed.

When I got the second brand new tuner...It would not even let me flash it at all.It goes straight to the error when I try to begin the program.
Did you read the stock tune again when you got the new tuner?

I am not intimately familiar with SCT's products, however I believe it works like all the rest in that when you re-flash the stock tune the tuner is reset/divorced from your car. To use it again you have to re-read the stock tune; this may be what was "wrong" with the original unit.

In any event, now that you have a new tuner you need to re-read the stock tune with the new tuner to get it married to your car--it will not flash any custom tunes until the two have been joined up...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you read the stock tune again when you got the new tuner?

I am not intimately familiar with SCT's products, however I believe it works like all the rest in that when you re-flash the stock tune the tuner is reset/divorced from your car. To use it again you have to re-read the stock tune; this may be what was "wrong" with the original unit.

In any event, now that you have a new tuner you need to re-read the stock tune with the new tuner to get it married to your car--it will not flash any custom tunes until the two have been joined up...
I followed the instructions on the sheet that came with the tuner.
1.Select program vehicle
2.Select custom tune or preloaded
3.(I select custom)
4.Turn key on(DO NOT start car)
5.Turn Key off
6.Select which custom Tune-Street,Performance and Race (I did street)
7.Turn key on (DO NOT start car)
8.select Begin Program
9.The error pops up

That was AFTER the first flash and with the NEW tuner.

The first Flash I did the same steps and it went through and saved the stock tune to the tuner.But now that P1000 is popping up and I went to Ford(today) and they told me the codes on my ECM are wiped off cuz of the tuners first flash!!! And the only way to get it back is to drive the car 3 drive cycles at 300 miles per cycle.And I am assuming that is why the second tuner wont work because it's not picking up any stock tunes as of now.

I don't think I want to try the tuner again.I'm scared my car won't start next time.I am serious. And during the install of the tune I was on the phone the whole time with Ryan from American Muscle and Ken at SCT.So everything was pretty much done under close watch.

:( I just hope I can return this and get my money back and try to get some other bolt ons like a throttle body and some headers. MAYBE a chip...but I am not sure on that.

Thanks for your help...if anything pops up I will let you know.I will go call AM now and let them know what Ford said.

Oh and the alarm system had nothing to do with it.I went to Best Buy and they explained that to me. Thats what I thought but just to be on the safe side.I will tell AM that too.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I just downloaded the SCT X3 SF3 manual and read through it--I did not realise that they have automated to "marriage" and "divorce" processes...

P1000 means that the OBD2 I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests have not been completed. What the Ford dealer told you was basically true though it should not take 300 miles--here's the drive cycle info from the shop manual. The dealer made this sound scarier than it really is, it is normal for P1000 to be set when you flash a tune--using any tuning system.

Looking at the X3 manual, you should be able to determine the unit's locked/unlocked status as follows (it has to powered on by connecting it to the OBD2 port):

Scroll down the the Device Info menu option, then click Select; this should be displayed:

The device needs to be "locked" to be able to program your PCM. If it is locked then SCT should be able to figure out why it cannot flash the tune.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A little off topic sorry. I am a little worried now. I got the livewire tuner a few months ago and I didnt read any instructions (because I am a stupid 23 y/o) and I downloaded the tune to my car without physically saving the stock tune. Do you know if my tuner would automatically save the tune when it marries the car?

P.s. sorry about the luck you are having that really sucks big time. Good luck with it all I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
A little off topic sorry. I am a little worried now. I got the livewire tuner a few months ago and I didnt read any instructions (because I am a stupid 23 y/o) and I downloaded the tune to my car without physically saving the stock tune. Do you know if my tuner would automatically save the tune when it marries the car?

P.s. sorry about the luck you are having that really sucks big time. Good luck with it all I hope it works out for you.
The tuner saves it internally, however there should be a mechanism for making a back-up copy--check out the Livewire documents...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just downloaded the SCT X3 SF3 manual and read through it--I did not realise that they have automated to "marriage" and "divorce" processes...

P1000 means that the OBD2 I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests have not been completed. What the Ford dealer told you was basically true though it should not take 300 miles--here's the drive cycle info from the shop manual. The dealer made this sound scarier than it really is, it is normal for P1000 to be set when you flash a tune--using any tuning system.

Looking at the X3 manual, you should be able to determine the unit's locked/unlocked status as follows (it has to powered on by connecting it to the OBD2 port):

Scroll down the the Device Info menu option, then click Select; this should be displayed:

The device needs to be "locked" to be able to program your PCM. If it is locked then SCT should be able to figure out why it cannot flash the tune.

In device info it says it is unlocked and unmarried.Should I tell them that? They did ask me before but didnt think anything of it.
The alarm system is wired into the ignition so I really couldnt "Unplug it from the battery"Unless it is totally pulled bestbuy said. But if I put them through all that trouble I dont know If they will put everything back..free.:( and If it will even do anything.

I did disconnect ALL my audio stuff and pulled the radio fuse.still didnt work.

And I do have a volt meter installed..but its not spliced into anything.I have one of those pigtail fuses.I just popped that fuse in and it comes on when I start the car.It also comes on while I am trying to load the tune.Maybe I will remove that and try.

Also someone mentioned to me"engine immobilizer" needs to be bypassed.Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Thunderscrash. I am trying my best to figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In device info it says it is unlocked and unmarried.Should I tell them that? They did ask me before but didnt think anything of it.
Yes, it is very important they they know that. It's not being locked is why you cannot load a tune, why it is not locked is an issue they will need to sort out.

Some tuning systems will not marry a PCM that has serious DTCs set, you said you observed P1000 (a non-serious one), were any other codes shown?

Also with some other systems with which I am familiar, this can happen when the "original" tune is not the OEM factory tune, or if the PCM were replaced and the VID (Vehicle ID) was not properly programmed.

The alarm system is wired into the ignition so I really couldnt "Unplug it from the battery"Unless it is totally pulled bestbuy said. But if I put them through all that trouble I dont know If they will put everything back..free.:( and If it will even do anything.

I did disconnect ALL my audio stuff and pulled the radio fuse.still didnt work.
After market alarms are all different, and generally a PITA when attempting to track down what should be simple ignition and starting issues--I would not have one, but then again I only rarely lock my car and usually leave the windows down. I leave nothing in there worth stealing, and with PATS it cannot be stolen unless it's towed.

That said, as long as it does not interfere with powering the PCM it should not affect flashing a tune (which worked twice with the original tuner, once when you flashed the custom tune, and again when you re-flashed to stock tuned).

And I do have a volt meter installed..but its not spliced into anything.I have one of those pigtail fuses.I just popped that fuse in and it comes on when I start the car.It also comes on while I am trying to load the tune.Maybe I will remove that and try.
A voltmeter should not interfere with anything; BTW, what did it read when you attempted to flash the PCM?

Also someone mentioned to me"engine immobilizer" needs to be bypassed.Any thoughts on that?
"Engine immobilizer" is usually a fancy word for using a relay to cut power to the starter--as long as the alarm has not been tripped it should be irrelevant (as should anything alarm related that might block flashing the PCM).

As long as the PCM is powered when the key is on flashing it through the OBD2 port should work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi CliffyK, Wow..thank you for all that information.:)

Okay first off I went to Best Buy they removed the alarm,fuses and relay.Tried to flash a tune and still the same error came up.

I sent an email to SCT about the tuner being unlocked and unmarried so I am waiting for a response on that.

I have no idea if the PCM was ever replaced nor if the factory tune was ever changed.
How can I check to see If it ever was,and is there anything I can do about that?

As for the volt meter it read 14 volts.I had the battery and alternator checked at Advance Auto and they were all in good working order with no lows at all.

I did receive an email from SCT. They want me to check the PCM ground wire. Would you happen to know where that is? And how should I check it?
I know where the ecm is, behind the passenger kick panel I checked for a chip.So I am familiar with that area.

Extra info,I did by the car used at an auto dealership. I know it passed all tests and emissions.There was no other code except the P1000.

Again thank you for all your knowledge.I really appreciate all and any help and suggestions.

One last note:What IF both keys that I have for my mustang are copies? Neither key has the original "Ford" logo on them.I read that you have to have keys re-programmed and sometimes they don't match the ECM.If that was the case would I have even been able to flash the car at all? Or start the engine at that?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hi CliffyK, Wow..thank you for all that information.:)

Okay first off I went to Best Buy they removed the alarm,fuses and relay.Tried to flash a tune and still the same error came up.

I sent an email to SCT about the tuner being unlocked and unmarried so I am waiting for a response on that.
It will not flash a tune unless it locks to the vehicle.

I have no idea if the PCM was ever replaced nor if the factory tune was ever changed.
How can I check to see If it ever was,and is there anything I can do about that?
Ford dealers are supposed to place a tag on the PCM indicating that it was reprogrammed or replaced--unfortunately sometimes they get lazy and do not.

As for the volt meter it read 14 volts.I had the battery and alternator checked at Advance Auto and they were all in good working order with no lows at all.
That is good, 12.6V or higher is no problem for the PCM--it gets flakey below 11.0V.

I did receive an email from SCT. They want me to check the PCM ground wire. Would you happen to know where that is? And how should I check it?
I know where the ecm is, behind the passenger kick panel I checked for a chip.So I am familiar with that area.
The PCM has 4 or 5 ground connections, some of which combine and attach to various places on the chassis, one is a home run back to the battery. They are all, but one, black/white wires with the exception being a single black wire.

That single wire is what is generally considered to the "the" PCM ground wire, it is shown in this diagram--G201, a wrapped wire emerging from the harness and connected to the chassis.

Extra info,I did by the car used at an auto dealership. I know it passed all tests and emissions.There was no other code except the P1000.

Again thank you for all your knowledge.I really appreciate all and any help and suggestions.

One last note:What IF both keys that I have for my mustang are copies? Neither key has the original "Ford" logo on them.I read that you have to have keys re-programmed and sometimes they don't match the ECM.If that was the case would I have even been able to flash the car at all? Or start the engine at that?
If the car starts there is no PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System, aka Securilock) issue.

Your 2001 has PATS type C in which the PATS control is contained in the instrument cluster, the cluster being "married" at the factory to the PCM via a shared security ID. Changing either the cluster or PCM will disable the car until a new ID is programmed (the Ford IDS can do this).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the diagram cliffyK!

PCM ground is fine other wise I wouldn't be able to pull that DTC or get the strategy code from the tuner.It also let's me pull up vehicle info.

Well here is what SCT said about the tuner locking to the vehicle.
"The tuner will only marry the vehicle once it flashes a tune." That seems right. I cannot get it to flash anymore once the first 2 flashes went through for the custom tune and flashed back to stock.

This second tuner cannot even start a flash like the first one did.It is totally locked out.I get that error right away versus the first one did atleast let me flash the car twice.
It goes straight to the error before I can even attempt to do another flash.

My car starts perfect and runs smooth.So I guess that rules out me thinking its because of the keys being copies.

And just to be on top of everything...I went out today and re checked all the fuses again(4th time)and used a volt meter.They are all fine. I was thinking maybe one was blown and I just couldn't tell.

As of now SCT has told me to relax.They are waiting for the tuner to arrive at their facility.They have never come across a problem like this and they are going to examine it and test it out.They should get it by Friday. I will keep you guys/gals and whomever reads this forum up to date. I don't want anyone to ever go through this.It's a pain in my you know what!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It could be worse--my first experience, "after hours" on the Friday night before Christmas in 2006, with the Special Forces system from what was then Sniper tuning left me with a car that was dead until Tuesday morning when their shop opened...

The good news is they had me up and running before 8:00, I know SCT will sort this out too...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well..If anyone is still reading this...

SCT received my tuner and did some tests with it.They were able to flash 6 different times and tuned one of their guys mustangs with it.So as of now...the tuner is not faulty or defective ( i was hoping it would be).The problem seems to be my vehicle.

Since the tuner is ruled out...what the heck can be wrong with my cars PCM/ECM? Is there something I need to check?

They told me to try their SCT Chip,but I am not sure I want to pull my ecm out and open it up and all that.AND what If that does not work.I am very hesitant.

Keep in mind I was able to flash basically twice 1. a custom tune (car didn't start) 2.back to stock (car ran fine).

Any more ideas guys/gals? Did the first flash mess up my cars ecm or something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts