Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
K1w1
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Team,

Sorry, this is a little long...

I recently got an SCT SF3 tuner and have a few questions regarding the options I have when "playing" with it. I'm the first to admit that I'm very new to the tuning game so would like some guidelines as to being safe. I don't want to screw my new engine!

1/ Spark (0-2000, 2000-4000 and 4000-8000)
Obviously concerns advancing/retarding the firing point of the spark plugs. My thinking is to not touch this as I know this can definitely damage the engine, thoughts?

2/ WOT Air/Fuel
I understand running an engine richer can keep it cooler (and decrease MPG) but why would I want to lean it out? I thought this is something else that can damage the engine.

WOT Shift (1-2, 2-3, 3-4)
This one confuses me a little as the changes are only a few MPH i.e. 1-2 goes from -3 to +7. I wouldn't have thought that would make much, if any, difference.

Shift Pressure (1-2, 2-3, 3-4)
I had a play with the 1-2 shift pressure (it's quite severe at the moment and a PITA for DDing) but it seemed to make no difference at all. I went from -20% up to +20% and I couldn't see/feel any difference through a variety of throttle positions.

The other settings are self explanetory.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
dont mess with it unless you'll turn into that guy that tried to blame bama for blowing his motor, only things i would change is tire rotation n gears

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
dont mess with it unless you'll turn into that guy that tried to blame bama for blowing his motor, only things i would change is tire rotation n gears
Agreed, if you want a harder cripser shift, look into doing a JMod or buying a shift kit. The rest is basically for the tuning inclined. a dyno tune is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new motor.

·
K1w1
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree with the attitude of don't touch it unless you know what you're doing!

I have no problem with leaving things as they are (I have 410s so a tuner is needed for that) and it has the 93 tune as well but other than that... nada. And it'll be getting a dyno tune when the cams go in next year.

Thanks team, you pretty much confirmed my thoughts already.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Hey Team,

Sorry, this is a little long...

I recently got an SCT SF3 tuner and have a few questions regarding the options I have when "playing" with it. I'm the first to admit that I'm very new to the tuning game so would like some guidelines as to being safe. I don't want to screw my new engine!

1/ Spark (0-2000, 2000-4000 and 4000-8000)
Obviously concerns advancing/retarding the firing point of the spark plugs. My thinking is to not touch this as I know this can definitely damage the engine, thoughts?

2/ WOT Air/Fuel
I understand running an engine richer can keep it cooler (and decrease MPG) but why would I want to lean it out? I thought this is something else that can damage the engine.

WOT Shift (1-2, 2-3, 3-4)
This one confuses me a little as the changes are only a few MPH i.e. 1-2 goes from -3 to +7. I wouldn't have thought that would make much, if any, difference.

Shift Pressure (1-2, 2-3, 3-4)
I had a play with the 1-2 shift pressure (it's quite severe at the moment and a PITA for DDing) but it seemed to make no difference at all. I went from -20% up to +20% and I couldn't see/feel any difference through a variety of throttle positions.

The other settings are self explanetory.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
Just get your car tuned if you aren't sure of this kind of stuff. Buy tunes from Bama or get a dyno tune or an email tune from another vendor. No reason not to at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts