Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i will be ordering the SCT/4.10 gear combo fro AM very soon just curious if any one use's the Bama tunes if the power increase is what they claim 30+ or with light mods even more? im probably going to get it either way but am i expecting more then what im going to get? Also do we still get a American Muscle discount?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
First of all, never trust manufacturer rwhp claims. If they were all true, my car would be making 300+ to the wheel right now.

Wih that said, Bama writes good tunes. I've been very pleased with mine.

We do get a forum discount. If you don't already have the code, you'll need to PM the AM rep (AMStanger?) as we're not allowed to give it out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
+30 is possible if you run 93 octane, the engine is in good shape, and the mail-order tune happens to match up optimally with your exact setup.

That that will happen is a somewhat rare occurrence with a mail order tune; that's why people tune themselves or pay a professional tuner to do it for them. The exact gain depends a whole lot on what grade fuel you decide to run.

My experience is that a canned tune built for 87 octane will net you 5-7 rwHP peak, with a quite noticeable increase of 10-15 rwHP in the mid- and upper-mid range.

A tune built for 93 octane will get 20+ rwHP peak and really wake up the mid- and upper-mid range. Put an after market upper plenum and TB (70mm is all that's needed) on and you'll get a bit more at the high end, and pull strongly right up to the rev-limiter.

A fully optimised "hands-on" tune will squeeze another 7-10 rwHP peak, and beef up the 3000-5000 range as well. I went from 252/295 with a mildly tweaked Delta Force Special Forces tune, to 262/305 with a fully tweaked DF Commando tune.

For that last jump you will need a wide band O2 sensor and have to really dial in the MAF curve and fueling, I also upgraded to the FRPP 24 lb/h injectors as the stock 21 lb/h (in my ;03, your '00 has 19 lb/h units).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got mine and I love it, even with the 87 tune the car is better than stock. It feels more responsive. WIth the 93 tune the car is a whole different animal, I love it because the throttle is a lot more responsive and it feels like it just wants to get up and go. Also ppl that drive a stock Mustang with a stick shift will know that putting it in third at 60mph is the worst bc the car just doenst take off, but with the 93 tune and some 3.73 gears omg its awesome.

So yes I think its a good investment, plus it lets you find out what engine light codes are what whenever they go off, so its a good diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+30 is possible if you run 93 octane, the engine is in good shape, and the mail-order tune happens to match up optimally with your exact setup.

That that will happen is a somewhat rare occurrence with a mail order tune; that's why people tune themselves or pay a professional tuner to do it for them. The exact gain depends a whole lot on what grade fuel you decide to run.

My experience is that a canned tune built for 87 octane will net you 5-7 rwHP peak, with a quite noticeable increase of 10-15 rwHP in the mid- and upper-mid range.

A tune built for 93 octane will get 20+ rwHP peak and really wake up the mid- and upper-mid range. Put an after market upper plenum and TB (70mm is all that's needed) on and you'll get a bit more at the high end, and pull strongly right up to the rev-limiter.

A fully optimised "hands-on" tune will squeeze another 7-10 rwHP peak, and beef up the 3000-5000 range as well. I went from 252/295 with a mildly tweaked Delta Force Special Forces tune, to 262/305 with a fully tweaked DF Commando tune.

For that last jump you will need a wide band O2 sensor and have to really dial in the MAF curve and fueling, I also upgraded to the FRPP 24 lb/h injectors as the stock 21 lb/h (in my ;03, your '00 has 19 lb/h units).
Yea i kinda figured you dont listen to EVER thing i was just curious what kind of increase they give :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mine and I love it, even with the 87 tune the car is better than stock. It feels more responsive. WIth the 93 tune the car is a whole different animal, I love it because the throttle is a lot more responsive and it feels like it just wants to get up and go. Also ppl that drive a stock Mustang with a stick shift will know that putting it in third at 60mph is the worst bc the car just doenst take off, but with the 93 tune and some 3.73 gears omg its awesome.

So yes I think its a good investment, plus it lets you find out what engine light codes are what whenever they go off, so its a good diagnostic tool.
Sweet man im glad to hear you can notice a difference.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else use Bama?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with true blue. Theres definitely a difference wth the 93 tune. I just got it a month ago and right now im trying to see what my mps are with the 87 tune. Right now i'm at just over a half tank with like 162 miles, which seems better than stock if i can remember. I like the tuner and hopefully you will too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I always used the rule of thumb that you pick up about half of what the manufacturer claims. IE:: if they claim 30hp, you'll see 15rwhp.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I run an SCT with Bama tunes. I was impressed with the 91 oct tune for my mods. The 93 oct race tune made me real happy:eek:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
they dont sell 93 out here were i live :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
i recently ordered and intalled 410 gears, 78 mm bbk throttle intake and sct x3 with bama tune and i know they made a huge difference... i was extremly happy... now i know most of my gain was from the gears.. but im sure it helped and my speed o is accurate now...

·
Registered
386 Posts
With the good reviews with Bama I am for sure going with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do it man! I ordered the SCT from AM but got the one that mounts to my windsheild. Waste of money bc all i ever do is plug it in, switch tunes then unplugg it. So just get the handheld. BTW those guys at bama are really helpful bc i call b4 switching my tunes and they always help me out and dont get mad when i start askin a **** tone of questions!lol
But if ur still modding then yes ull love those free tunes for life

·
Registered
139 Posts
+1 I bought the same kit. I have called them several times to change parameters and they are always glad to help. I will be calling them tomorrow to have my shift points changed. It is a piece of cake and the results are noticeable.

·
Tig3rb8
1,355 Posts
Im on the fence bout buying a mail order tune ..... my local shop has being doing stangs for 25 years and he is a sct ceritified programmer and he said dnt trust them..... he can do a custom tune for me with a sct programmer sold and done by him........ so whats anybodys take on that ? Suggestions please ?

·
New time's coming soon!!!
3,008 Posts
Ive been running the 93 octane tune and 4.10s for about 5 montshs now and i love it. with the 93 tune it seems like theres better throttle response and a little more top end. Now things are starting to get a little boring so ive started to piece together a SC kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts