Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a tune for my 97 gt but Ive heard that the SCT tuners are only worth it for the guys who have Autos. I have a 5spd and have 3.73 gears, cold air intake, BBK throttle body, C&L Plenum, 24lb injectors, msd ignition, underdrive pulleys, Catted X and Flowmasters. I just want to squeeze a little more power out to hold me over until I can afford the Hitech stage 2 cam. I need an opinion from someone who has the SCT tuner and a 5spd. Im not gonna spend 400 dollars on something that only seems to make more power because it changes shift points.

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
I have a 2000 and a stick.With your mods it's worth it. It asks you injector size. Timing advance which makes power. I bought mine used for 200 unlocked and worth every penny to me

·
Registered
296 Posts
You absolutely would benefit from it. Oh my, yes! You will be thrilled with the difference in every aspect of driving it. Especially with your mods. Awesome idea, no doubt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
With your mods it would be worth it. You can correct your speedo since you installed gears.
You can't correct the speedo through a tune in a pre-99 Mustang. With 96 and 97 model year cars you can change the speedo gear. With a 98 you need to use a Dallas Mustangs Speed Cal or similar device. Without a tune and with the 24lb. injectors you are likely running very rich. The 24's are really not needed at your power level but can be made to work with a tune. You will see the best gains from a custom tune and which you will most definitely need with aftermarket cams. After the PI swap on my 98 I picked up about 10 peak RWHP but I gained a bunch midrange torque and horsepower. Its been a long time now but I think it was as much as 40HP at some points. Throttle response and driveability were greatly improved as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can't correct the speedo through a tune in a pre-99 Mustang. With 96 and 97 model year cars you can change the speedo gear. With a 98 you need to use a Dallas Mustangs Speed Cal or similar device. Without a tune and with the 24lb. injectors you are likely running very rich. The 24's are really not needed at your power level but can be made to work with a tune. You will see the best gains from a custom tune and which you will most definitely need with aftermarket cams. After the PI swap on my 98 I picked up about 10 peak RWHP but I gained a bunch midrange torque and horsepower. Its been a long time now but I think it was as much as 40HP at some points. Throttle response and driveability were greatly improved as well.
i have a 00 and changed my speedo with my sct tuner when i got my 3.73 gears

·
Registered
691 Posts
i have an 07 5spd and i gotta say its well worth the money! i just got mine about a week ago, and i noticed a pretty big difference right away

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not running rich at all. Ive metered my 02 sensor output at various RPM ranges including WOT. Of course its not the best way to find my Air/Fuel ratio but it gives me a relative idea. Im getting a wideband A/F soon, but as for now Im good with the reading I got from the 02 sensors.

·
Banned
990 Posts
I want to get a tune for my 97 gt but Ive heard that the SCT tuners are only worth it for the guys who have Autos. I have a 5spd and have 3.73 gears, cold air intake, BBK throttle body, C&L Plenum, 24lb injectors, msd ignition, underdrive pulleys, Catted X and Flowmasters. I just want to squeeze a little more power out to hold me over until I can afford the Hitech stage 2 cam. I need an opinion from someone who has the SCT tuner and a 5spd. Im not gonna spend 400 dollars on something that only seems to make more power because it changes shift points.
ditch the 24's and opt for a set of 19lb from the newer cronvic's, they are skiny black ones and they did better in my car than my 24's did and wayy better than the old style orange 19's...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not to hijack the tread but how do you tell what size injectors you have? I bought my car used and have no idea if they have been changed or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do not have the technical savvy of the rest of these folks, but I can tell you it was a substantial improvement with my 08 5-spd. HP gain was good for the money, but most noticeable was the improved throttle response. You may already be optimized in that regard, but if not, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to hijack the tread but how do you tell what size injectors you have? I bought my car used and have no idea if they have been changed or not.
If they are stock 19lb injectors they will be orange and 24lb are blue. Not sure what other colors are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts