Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my sct tuner just came in today so first thing I did was hook it up. Since I have 87 octane in my tank right now I only tired the 87 preformance tune. Now I know it's gonna sound dumb and I know I'm probably just crazy but I feel like my accerlation is a little faster not alot but a little. It feels like I'm getting to 50-60 faster now. The only way I can be sure is down at the strip Sunday. I wish I would have put 93 octane as the race tune buy after it was all said and done I order the 91 octane and guess what where I am at here in Texas very few gas stations carry 91 they are all 87,89,93. Is there anyway I can change that. Don't I just go to the AM sute and tell them I need the 93 race tune? But anyways am I the only one that thinks I felt some gain without going to a dyno or the track?

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
You can run 93 with the 91 tune...
as far as tunes, you can always run a higher octane, but never a lower one than you're tuned for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
as far as tunes, you can always run a higher octane, but never a lower one than you're tuned for.
Very true, I've run 89/93 a few times on an 87 tune (no problems at all).

Just in case... Run a few gallons (1/4-1/2 tank) of a higher octane through your car BEFORE tuning to a higher octane tune. This just helps you make sure that older, lower octane gas is REALLY flushed out. I ran 87 for years before getting a tuner. I drove it almost to empty, put in about 1/3 tank of 93, drove that almost to empty, filled with 93 and tuned to 93. No problems.

And it's not dumb to think you feel a difference. You do. I've got an auto 98 and idk what you have but a tune is sweet either way. I've got a friend at work with the same car as me and the same boltons but no tune, and his car holds onto mine from 0-50 but gets walked above that. I'm assuming our tunes are somewhat similar in what they do for our cars (I got mine from Brenspeed before Bama and AM hooked up, but whatever). I know the 50-60 feeling... my 45-55 usually feels normal but the tune really kicks in and the RPMs ramp up from 55 to 65. If I started WOT anywhere from 35-55 (in 2nd gear for my auto), it'll be 65-75 that sees the RPMs go psycho. Even my car-illiterate girlfriend, the most frequent passenger, notices when the tune timing kicks in. and she thinks it's pretty cool too :D

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Idk about the increase acceleration since I got 4.10s and a tlok installed at the same time. But I noticed the improved shifting so thats probably what your experiencing. However, after the tune my car dosent feel like its going to break down on the interstate with the 4.10s anymore.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
That's true, but he wouldn't be taking full advantage of the 93 octane. If he gets free tunes from AM, he might as well order a 93 tune.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so tomorrow I'm going to the track if the weather is good. But I just got home from the movies and while I was driving it seemed like it was a much different car I want to almost call it sluggish compared to stock on the 87 performance tune. Until about 3k. Then I can feel it kick in but it only does that sometimes...I think if it does it all the time I'm not noticing it. But one thing I did notice is my exhuast sounds different almost quiter even at high rpms. Kinda wierd. And when I rev it it sounds like it is trying but just can't get it. What are some of talks thoughts on it. Maybe it's one of those you would have to drive it type of situations.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Ok so tomorrow I'm going to the track if the weather is good. But I just got home from the movies and while I was driving it seemed like it was a much different car I want to almost call it sluggish compared to stock on the 87 performance tune. Until about 3k. Then I can feel it kick in but it only does that sometimes...I think if it does it all the time I'm not noticing it. But one thing I did notice is my exhuast sounds different almost quiter even at high rpms. Kinda wierd. And when I rev it it sounds like it is trying but just can't get it. What are some of talks thoughts on it. Maybe it's one of those you would have to drive it type of situations.
its probably just in your head. those canned tunes just add a couple degrees of timing, firm up the shifts and change the shift points.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you adjusted the user options to set an rpm limit (either in drive or park/neutral) it might change your idle rev a bit as you get closer to that set limit.

Not sure about the exhaust change, I have days where I love mine and days where I think "Man this is ricey and weak," but its the same exhaust day-to-day. It's probably just a mind thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fast question about the Am tunner, On an auto v6 trying to max the speed the second i hit 118 it drops my rpms back to 4k or something like that. My question is: Which the tunner can i go over 118 limit?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Fast question about the Am tunner, On an auto v6 trying to max the speed the second i hit 118 it drops my rpms back to 4k or something like that. My question is: Which the tunner can i go over 118 limit?
I know the SCT SF3 will allow you to remove the speed limiter. However I hope you're not pulling stupid stunts like that on public roads.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I ran a 91 tune with 87 without knocks. But with the predator I run as much timing as i can without knock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts