Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SCT Xcal 2 is a very useful tool for any and all automatic transmission cars out there. With the ability to alter most ECU controlled elements of drivability and gauging, the XCAL 2 gets 2 thumbs up from me. Dealing with the guys at MustangTuning.com was helpful as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Xcal2 is a OBD2 tuner.

I have a Xcal2 for my 1995 supercharged 3.8L and it works great!

On a side note the government made OBD2 mandatory for the 1996 model year.
The 1994-1995 3.8L Mustangs where one of Fords test beds for OBD2 prior to 1996.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I plan on buying the SCT X-cal 2 for my Lincoln LS 3.9L. I contacted them and they have some great programs. Who says the daily driver can't be fun on the street?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this for automatic transmission only ??
I expect to buy one very soon...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here but I have enjoyed your post. I have an 07 GT Auto. I went to Birmingham, Al Friday and had ny car dyno tuned by the owner of BamaChips (Doug). He used the SCT Excal II. My only mod til this was a Magnaflow X pipe. When Doug got through with my car it was as if I had a different motor. The shifts were outstanding and would bark the tires even going into 3rd. I know you can buy a tuner with canned tunes but to have your tune created for your specific motor is awsome.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldman said:
Hey guys, I'm new here but I have enjoyed your post. I have an 07 GT Auto. I went to Birmingham, Al Friday and had ny car dyno tuned by the owner of BamaChips (Doug). He used the SCT Excal II. My only mod til this was a Magnaflow X pipe. When Doug got through with my car it was as if I had a different motor. The shifts were outstanding and would bark the tires even going into 3rd. I know you can buy a tuner with canned tunes but to have your tune created for your specific motor is awsome.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. A dyno-tuned application will always be better than a mail order tune.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, but after you have that tune, you can hold all of those parameters in memory and switch back and forth to other settings depending on street, strip, etc. That's the beauty of the programmer.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Or you could go with a flip switch and a different dyno tune is at the turn of a knob...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had good results from my Xcal2 but upgraded to a unit with more end user adjustability. Especially with the units purchased with a custom tune the vendor/tuner may not enable full user adjustability. Mine came from americanmuscle.com and had very limited adjustability but they were more than happy to sell me another tune to like switch the TC off.

The SCT forums are a great source of information and the SCT customer service was excellent. They have a huge network of trained tuners.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good to know, looking into buying one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone happen to have a better understanding of how these work? Specifically buying one second hand to fit a mustang that may not have the same engine, will be same year model car. Looking at buying a used xcal 2 for my 3.8L, the guy used it in his saleen supposedly.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
As long as its unlocked you can use it however you will have to buy tunes for it as the saleen tune won’t work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing they don't come unlocked new in the box then? Would be kind of like unlocking a cell phone?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
New in box yes they’re unlocked but used no. If the previous owner doesn’t unmarry it from his vehicle it’ll stay locked and you won’t be able to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts