Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone sea foamed their cars? If so, did you notice any differences at all? I want to do this, but I want to make sure I don't waste my money...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent, nor do i know what seafoaming is. what is it?
You buy cans of sea foam from your local autoparts store and put it in the crank case and fuel to help clean it out and make it run better... thats not the best explanation, but i am sure someone else will come by and explain it better

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I'm feeling lazy right now, so I'll just direct you to the bottom of this page, where you'll find five seafoam threads.

ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
ll
V

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
It would just be easier to click the link i posted. that has an entire article from start to finish with step by step detailed instructions on how to properly sea foam everything.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would just be easier to click the link i posted. that has an entire article from start to finish with step by step detailed instructions on how to properly sea foam everything.
I jt looked at the link and it was very helpful... I plan on doing this very soon... Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
search my posts i had a pretty long one about seafoam and it works well. i like the stuff and use it about every other oil change

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
...just to let you know...

I seafoamed my car through the gas tank, crankcase (ONLY right before changing the oil)and through the PCV to get it evenly dispersed into the engine. I did it 3 times. Once at about 20k another at about 35k and then again right before I got rid of it.

The last time I did it I put about 1/3 of the can in. I let the vaccum at the PCV suck it up as directed. I let it sit in the engine without the engine running as directed. Upon startup, oil came out of my exausts on both sides. Im am still unsure what happened but Im gussing it removed a deposit somewhere that was keeping something from leaking. IDK.

My advice would be to be carefull with a higher mileage engine or an engine that hasnt been seafoamed before. There is ALWAYS risk with putting something like this in your car.

IMO...
In the gas tank- SAFE but does it really do a better job cleaning injectors and stuff than a $3 bottle of STP? Unless your car is really running like ****, your not going to feel the difference anyway just from putting the directed amount in the gas tank.

In the crankcase- SAFE...IF you change the oil and filter very soon after putting it in. Its going to knock deposits and crap loose and you will NEED to get that **** out of the motor.

In the vacuum line- I can't say 100% safe...it caused something to go wrong in my engine. It worked fine the first 2 times when my motor was pretty clean but the last time just didnt turn out so well.

If you just want to have fun with smoke and cant resist the temptation, get a smoke machine from a halloween shop for $30 and have at it....or maybe some smoke bombs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
...just to let you know...

I seafoamed my car through the gas tank, crankcase (ONLY right before changing the oil)and through the PCV to get it evenly dispersed into the engine. I did it 3 times. Once at about 20k another at about 35k and then again right before I got rid of it.

The last time I did it I put about 1/3 of the can in. I let the vaccum at the PCV suck it up as directed. I let it sit in the engine without the engine running as directed. Upon startup, oil came out of my exausts on both sides. Im am still unsure what happened but Im gussing it removed a deposit somewhere that was keeping something from leaking. IDK.

My advice would be to be carefull with a higher mileage engine or an engine that hasnt been seafoamed before. There is ALWAYS risk with putting something like this in your car.

IMO...
In the gas tank- SAFE but does it really do a better job cleaning injectors and stuff than a $3 bottle of STP? Unless your car is really running like ****, your not going to feel the difference anyway just from putting the directed amount in the gas tank.

In the crankcase- SAFE...IF you change the oil and filter very soon after putting it in. Its going to knock deposits and crap loose and you will NEED to get that **** out of the motor.

In the vacuum line- I can't say 100% safe...it caused something to go wrong in my engine. It worked fine the first 2 times when my motor was pretty clean but the last time just didnt turn out so well.

If you just want to have fun with smoke and cant resist the temptation, get a smoke machine from a halloween shop for $30 and have at it....or maybe some smoke bombs.
I have to agree with JASonic on this one.
I started Seafoam'n my car (190K miles) and the 2nd time I did this...
Long story short...
I ended up replacing the engine.
Never gonna SF my car again.
Just my 0.02

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
hmm, i guess i have never had that problem. well just be carefull when seafoaming your vehicle then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts