Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my tremec 3650 in the 01 gt i drive grinds second when i try to shift quick..but shifts fine if i take it easy..all other gears work fine. i had assumed it could be a 1-2 synchro..but just for the heck of it i thought id give it one last chance before i bought a new tranny, changed the fluid last night and put 3 1/2 qts of pennzoil synchromesh in.. but what stumped me was that i stuck my finger in the fill hole and couldnt feel any oil even if i bent it down inside the case..i thought thats how your suposed to check it?
with that being said, i stuck the fill plug back in and called it good at 3 1/2 qts. ( only had intensions of puting in 3 but couldnt feel the fluid throught the fill hole so i squeezed in a little more). the second gear stills grinds. oil was pretty dark. no metal shavings or anything in it. just normal used oil. 130,000 miles on that transmission too.----so could this be a synchro or something else?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
You won't feel the oil unless it's close to 4qts in it. I have 4qts RP Synchromesh in it now and will be putting 3.3qts of Pennzoil Synchromesh in this weekend. Mine only shifts really bad when it's cold. Once it's warmed up it's fine. There is a TSB to reduce the oil from 4 qts to around 3.2 qts.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I just filled the bitch till it was full. I have a t-45 used all 4 quarts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same issue with mine, not a serious grind, but when it's cold it shifts into 2nd and 3rd pretty rough, unless if I wait for the revs to be going down, then it shifts smooth. Once it's warmed up, it shifts ok for the most part. I thought it was just these Tremecs. I replaced my transmission fluid with 4 qts of GM synchromesh a couple weeks ago. It needed it, but didn't really help at all. I was hoping it would. I ain't gonna put in a new tranny. Maybe years down the road when it really goes bad. For now I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I've heard that a lot of the crunchiness and grinding is due to overfilling the trans. 4 qts is too much for a Tr3650. The Ford TSB calls for 3.2. Yes, Ford did overfill them from the factory. I will be putting ~3.33 qts in this weekend and will see if there will be a difference.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Stupid question guys...how do you change the tranny fluid? I'm having the same problems and I was going to change mine to see if it helped..I've just never seen it done on these cars so I thought I'd ask

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stupid question guys...how do you change the tranny fluid? I'm having the same problems and I was going to change mine to see if it helped..I've just never seen it done on these cars so I thought I'd ask
Just jack the front end up nice and high, then you'll find a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. See below:

You can see on mine that the plug needs a square drive wrench. The 3/8" inch bare socket wrench with no attachments on it worked just fine for me. Unscrew the drain plug and drain the fluid. After it's all drained, put the drain plug back on. The fill hole is up in a slightly hard to reach spot on the side of the transmission:

Mine would NOT come off no matter how hard I tried. A little PB blaster on there for a few minutes helped with that. I opted with using a little hand pump to fill it through the drain hole, but some people prefer to take off the shifter and pour it right into the transmission. I opted with the fill hole since I'd have to take it off anyway to check the level. With the hand pump I got for about $10, it took me about 15 minutes to put in 3.75 quarts. The manual says to fill it until the fluid starts coming out of the fill hole, or you can feel it with your finger in the fill hole. But as you can see in this thread, some people say that can lead to grinding and crunching of the gears, and that you should only put in 3.33 qts. I can't argue with that, because my 2nd and 3rd gear shifts are pretty rough. But I'm too lazy to get under there and drain some of the fluid. After you've put in the desired amount of fluid, then put the fill plug back on and yer done.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and there are different opinions on what fluid to use. The manual recommends mercon or something like that, but I heard that synchromesh is the best. Everyone around my area carried Pennzoil Synchromesh, but a mechanic friend of mine recommended GM, so I found it online and ordered that instead. It's pricey, about $15/qt. The dealership down the road from my house wanted $28/qt for it!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Just jack the front end up nice and high, then you'll find a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. See below:

You can see on mine that the plug needs a square drive wrench. The 3/8" inch bare socket wrench with no attachments on it worked just fine for me. Unscrew the drain plug and drain the fluid. After it's all drained, put the drain plug back on. The fill hole is up in a slightly hard to reach spot on the side of the transmission:

Mine would NOT come off no matter how hard I tried. A little PB blaster on there for a few minutes helped with that. I opted with using a little hand pump to fill it through the drain hole, but some people prefer to take off the shifter and pour it right into the transmission. I opted with the fill hole since I'd have to take it off anyway to check the level. With the hand pump I got for about $10, it took me about 15 minutes to put in 3.75 quarts. The manual says to fill it until the fluid starts coming out of the fill hole, or you can feel it with your finger in the fill hole. But as you can see in this thread, some people say that can lead to grinding and crunching of the gears, and that you should only put in 3.33 qts. I can't argue with that, because my 2nd and 3rd gear shifts are pretty rough. But I'm too lazy to get under there and drain some of the fluid. After you've put in the desired amount of fluid, then put the fill plug back on and yer done.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and there are different opinions on what fluid to use. The manual recommends mercon or something like that, but I heard that synchromesh is the best. Everyone around my area carried Pennzoil Synchromesh, but a mechanic friend of mine recommended GM, so I found it online and ordered that instead. It's pricey, about $15/qt. The dealership down the road from my house wanted $28/qt for it!
Exactly! Pretty straight forward. I've run Royal Purple Synchromax for 4 years. Changing this weekend to Pennzoil Synchromesh which satisfies GM's specs. So you can spend $15 a quart on GM Synchromesh or $7.50 a quart on Pennzoil Synchromesh. The Royal Purple Synchromesh is like $13 a quart. I've heard that a lot have used and like the Pennzoil in the Tremec trans and some swear that it is the same stuff as GM Synchromesh. I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I think whenever I do it again I'll just go with Pennzoil. After you do it, let me know if much you put in and if it improved the grinding at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts