Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this is my first time posting but I have been reading on these forums a lot recently. So, hello everybody. My problem is really about a year and a half away but I can't stop thinking about it...

I originally planned on buying my buddies 2001 GT. It is in good condition and has 43,000mi. Only porblem is he rips the piss out of it at least once everytime it's out it seems, I know 4.6's are pretty tough but abuse is abuse. I've pretty much been telling myself I'm going to buy it; will have more than enough to do so. But, just today I started thinking about 4v's, as in 99-01 Cobra's and Mach 1's. Obviously they run better stock and have more potential but also cost more.

THE QUESTION: Should I buy the GT that's gas pedal gets raped everytime it goes out or go in a little bit of debt for a 4v that would hopefully have around 50,000mi.? I'm thinking in about 18 months I could find a mach or cobra with decent mileage for maybe 12,000... I'll be living at home and in college so with a part time job I could afford a bank loan of say $2,000-3,000, and then of course insurance. But that would pretty much be it.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Go with a 2V. The motors are a dime a dozen if something ends up going wrong. 4Vs are not cheap to have worked on. If you want more power out of it throw some nitrous on it and call it a day.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I would just save for a 4v instead of taking out a loan. If you cannot afford it do not buy it. Especially for a used car. The only time you really need to take out a loan(in this aspect) if for a house or a brand new car.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I say 99-01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach 1 to be honest. Stock for a stock, Mach 1 rapes. With some gears (4.10s or 4.30's) they rape even more. With alittle exhaust work (midpipe) you can get them in the 12's. 5 Speed anyways.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
go with the 2v that low of mileage even if it gets beat on isnt bad

·
Registered
575 Posts
Youll be hard pressed to find a 99-04 that wasnt beat on. These are the new fox bodies. The good thing about buying from your friend is you have a better idea of what the car has been through. With that being said, you have to decide if your gonna want the 4v. I'm sure its less of a headache to buy a mach and pay a loan off than to swap a GT to a 4v. In my opinion it is always better to save and get what you want then to settle for something else.

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I figure I'm going to save up more than originally planned, if I did need a loan it should only be about 1,000. So maybe a family member could help me out. Only problem is whete I live you usually have to travel kinda far to find a Mach 1 because they are rare to begin with. An S197 would also be an option but would probably have more miles for my price range.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree. Buying a car from a friend is always a plus. I have bought my last two performance cars from friends who were car guys. I got great tech support, and even though they drove their cars hard, they were well maintained and responsibly abused.

In fact, the experience has been so good for me, I wish a friend had a car to sell right now b/c my girlfriend needs a car...

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I'd say go all out and get a 4v. Get what you want, don't end up kicking yourself down the road, especially if you could get something with lower miles and treated a little better.

As previously mentioned it doesn't take much for a Mach 1 to kick some ass.

And keep in mind you're asking in a 2v section.

Just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts