Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I've got two random questions! I installed the Raxiom sequential taillight kit in my 2005 years ago. It seems that ever since I did, I am blowing out a turn-signal filament every few months in a random bulb. Does this happen to anyone else?

I drive my car about 35 to 75 miles round trip every single day, and I use my turn signals a lot. Well, I use them when I'm supposed to, so much more than most on the roads. The taillight (headlights on) filament never fails, but the turn/brake one does.

Like I said, I noticed it after installing these years ago, and every few months I have to dig into my collection of bulbs that I stocked up on since this keeps happening. I know we have 7 taillight bulbs, and it's bound to happen, but come on.

The harness seems fine, and no, I'm not going to LEDs. I love the soft glow of incandescents!

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Did you install a sequential flasher relay? Are all the bulbs dual filament?

If you don't have a flasher relay, you are taxing the bulbs/stock relay a lot more than should be, due to how quick the sequential flashes on a stock relay. That said, im not sure on the 05-09 if its the same set up as the 99-04 with regards to a relay. But this link may help you more than I can (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/slowing-down-sequential-tail-lights-499337/)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you install a sequential flasher relay? Are all the bulbs dual filament?

If you don't have a flasher relay, you are taxing the bulbs/stock relay a lot more than should be, due to how quick the sequential flashes on a stock relay. That said, im not sure on the 05-09 if its the same set up as the 99-04 with regards to a relay. But this link may help you more than I can (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/slowing-down-sequential-tail-lights-499337/)
Yes, the bulbs are. As stated, it's only the brake/turn filament that keeps failing. The actual taillight one doesn't fail. I guess that's just because those are either on or off for a long period of time, and not flashing. As for the relay, it was a LONG time ago when I installed them, but whatever the kit had, I put in. Haha. The more I think about it, it may just be over-use. I do drive and use the signal/brake a lot.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes, the bulbs are. As stated, it's only the brake/turn filament that keeps failing. The actual taillight one doesn't fail. I guess that's just because those are either on or off for a long period of time, and not flashing. As for the relay, it was a LONG time ago when I installed them, but whatever the kit had, I put in. Haha. The more I think about it, it may just be over-use. I do drive and use the signal/brake a lot.

Thanks for the response!

IIRC the kits USUALLY don't come with a flasher relay for the 99-04 ones. Again not sure on the 05-09 cars. If its a stock relay for the flasher, than it is likely flashing the interior lights faster than it should. I did some quick googling but couldnt come up with a flasher relay to link ya, but thats probably because google knows my cars are a '92 and '03 so I keep getting results for 99-04 cars even though I put 05-09 in my search.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC the kits USUALLY don't come with a flasher relay for the 99-04 ones. Again not sure on the 05-09 cars. If its a stock relay for the flasher, than it is likely flashing the interior lights faster than it should. I did some quick googling but couldnt come up with a flasher relay to link ya, but thats probably because google knows my cars are a '92 and '03 so I keep getting results for 99-04 cars even though I put 05-09 in my search.
I don't think that would be the case for this one. Everything is plug and play, and should be complete. To my knowledge, sequentials wouldn't even work without relays. However, I'm not an electrician. If I was, I probably could have figured out this problem. Lol. So, I'm still at a loss... :serious:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't think that would be the case for this one. Everything is plug and play, and should be complete. To my knowledge, sequentials wouldn't even work without relays. However, I'm not an electrician. If I was, I probably could have figured out this problem. Lol. So, I'm still at a loss... :serious:
So in the 99-04 there is a factory "flasher relay" but when you add sequentials (even a plug and play kit) the rate at which they switch the relay is too quick, and leads to excessive load, and super fast sequentials. Raxiom makes a modified flasher relay for those cars (https://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-signal-relay-9604.html?utm_content=Lights - Sequential|Raxiom&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=blue&T5_Var4=99032&intl=0&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Vehicle+Medium&gclid=CMH7keq8htoCFcGCxQIdl8oHaw&gclsrc=ds)

However, it looks like on the newer stangs 05+ there is no longer an easily swapped relay, instead there is some form of junction box (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/729951-do-2005-2009-mustangs-have-a-flasher-relay.html)

Given that, it seems like you could have a short somewhere, maybe a chafed wire, or a loose ground. Other than that, when you replaced the bulbs/installed them did you wear gloves, or touch them with your bare hands -- skin oils can cause lightbulbs to die much quicker than they should in some cases.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given that, it seems like you could have a short somewhere, maybe a chafed wire, or a loose ground. Other than that, when you replaced the bulbs/installed them did you wear gloves, or touch them with your bare hands -- skin oils can cause lightbulbs to die much quicker than they should in some cases.
The wires all look good, but who knows. And yes. I'm in the entertainment industry, so it's ingrained in me to not touch a lamp/bulb. Haha. Thank you for looking into this for me!

So, what do you think I should do? It doesn't seem like there is much I can do except stock up on backups.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Some of what I was able to find referenced cheaper bulbs vs. more expensive bulbs. If you're using generic bulbs, maybe try using some different bulbs next time? Also I would check that there is no moisture issue, I've seen stock lights (front and rear) let a lot of moisture in and if there is moisture you may be more prone to bulb damage. Next time you swap bulbs check the plugs as well, make sure nothing looks burnt or corroded. I know you don't want to go to LEDs, but I think it would be interesting to know if an LED bulb had the same issue as the stock style, though I doubt the issue is heat related.

From this thread, it looks like sequentials are infact known to blow bulbs, which seems kinda dumb, and is likely due to some design element but you could be seeing something completely normal

Turn Signal Not Working (Sequential Tail Lights) - Ford Mustang Forum

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some of what I was able to find referenced cheaper bulbs vs. more expensive bulbs. If you're using generic bulbs, maybe try using some different bulbs next time? Also I would check that there is no moisture issue, I've seen stock lights (front and rear) let a lot of moisture in and if there is moisture you may be more prone to bulb damage. Next time you swap bulbs check the plugs as well, make sure nothing looks burnt or corroded. I know you don't want to go to LEDs, but I think it would be interesting to know if an LED bulb had the same issue as the stock style, though I doubt the issue is heat related.

From this thread, it looks like sequentials are infact known to blow bulbs, which seems kinda dumb, and is likely due to some design element but you could be seeing something completely normal

thank you

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you as well. I don't have moisture issues, thankfully. I use Sylvania, so it's your standard bulb. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I am very cheap in general, so I don't think I want to risk blowing more expensive ones. Haha. I did not check for corrosion, but I didn't think to do so since the seals are good and there are no signs of moisture or condensation. I will check next time though. Guess it is what it is!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thank you as well. I don't have moisture issues, thankfully. I use Sylvania, so it's your standard bulb. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I am very cheap in general, so I don't think I want to risk blowing more expensive ones. Haha. I did not check for corrosion, but I didn't think to do so since the seals are good and there are no signs of moisture or condensation. I will check next time though. Guess it is what it is!
Unfortunately it looks like it just a design flaw in the sequential setups. If you were willing to go with LEDs you could possibly get around it, but since you said you don't want to go LED, looks like you'll be dealing with bulb changes every once in a while.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately it looks like it just a design flaw in the sequential setups. If you were willing to go with LEDs you could possibly get around it, but since you said you don't want to go LED, looks like you'll be dealing with bulb changes every once in a while.
Yeah... I'm not a fan of the look of LEDs on these cars. Thanks for the help! I guess some other people do have this issue, and it is what it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts