Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So, me and my buddies were talking and there is a LITTLE rivalry going on between us in terms of who would win this race between a S14 or a 5.0.. The kid with the 240 tries telling me sr20's are rated at 250 Hp and 250 Tourqe.. I call Bullshit. S15 SR's are rated to be at 240 only.. So I am gonna say that he has about the same HP as a stang, but the stang has a good 40 Lbs. of torque over him.. I believe his 240 pulls maybe 230hp and maybe 220 tourqe..
NOTE: The 240 refuses to run right now, as he claims his car is running rich when he gets into boost, his tuner reads 70+ A/R Ratio, and 14-20 A/R out of boost. I believe this is near normal level, so he wont run since he thinks his tune is thrown off.

Here are ride details:
1995 (S14) 240sx w/ Swapped 5 Speed and Red Top SR20DET out of an S13(I know this due to some details, such as the lack of newer cam covers on the motor.)
Full Exhaust(w/ new headers, Trust DP, Megan Test Pipe, Pre-Muff, Fart Can muffler)

1987 Mustang LX 5.0 5 Speed
Stock
Only Magnaflow Dumps
3.73's
(With Driver Mod)
Full accessories.(A/C P.S.)

Now, what I want to know is YOUR guys's opinions on the two racing.. Because this race is going to happen in a few weeks when we get into summer when he gets the tune done, when it is roughly 90-100 degrees and humid here in Missouri.. So the 240's Turbo won't run as well of course.. Let's try to keep away from Fan Boy speak too please lol.

My honest opinion is the Stang will beat him from a dig til maybe half way through 4th. Maybe UP TO 5th gear shift.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are you from Missouri?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
when your ready take them to the track & find out.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
*Moved to Drag Racing Forum... assuming this will take place on a dragstrip*

Something to keep in mind is that the 240 is about 500lbs lighter than your car. That's going to be the big difference. If he knows how to drive at all, I see him taking you with ease, especially since you two are running close to equal numbers. That turbo + light weight is going to work well in his advantage on the top end and he's going to walk right away from you. The weight of the vehicle plays a huge role. Look at my Focus for instance (see sig).

Also, what is 70+ A/R ratio? If you mean A/F ratio, that would be catastrophic engine failure lean. If you mean the turbine size is 70a/r, then he is going to rape you without even trying. Also, 14-20 A/F ratio is a VERY broad range. None of this really adds up.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Since this isn't tech, I'm going to make an innapropriate response. What the hell is a 70 a/r ratio? 14 air to fuel ratio out of boost sounds right...

My opinion is, you both run 14's. Go find out who is not as slow as the other.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ADDITAVE NOTE:
We were doin some researching just now and well, his tuner display is simply going haywire after he gets into boost.. Thats why the air fuel ratio was so goofy.. So that fishy issue is out of the question.. Didn't think that high of a ratio was mecahnically possible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you from Missouri?
Yes I am, are you?

And as for everyone else's responses, the A/F ratio was supposed to be air-fuel ratio.. But as I figured, it was simply his stupid ApexI computer/tuner display going haywire once he got into boost. Motor runs fine minus a near dead EGR.

But also, As for who wins, I think the mustang would take it personally. Especially Driver-Driver. Now car-car. I still think the stang would win.. I mean, it IS pulling much mroe tourqe, and damn near similar HP, and the 240 only weighed in at 300 Lbs. Less.. and with those 3.73 Gears, I think it would pull on the low end, and with the shorter 1st gear from the 4 banger trans, the launch this car gets is quite good, and I think it'd take it on the quarter.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I never understood the concept of sitting around racing dyno numbers, discussing how fast you could go, what could happen in the perfect world, and who has better factory specs. How much money and time has this guy spent for the capability to self tune a 14 second car anyway? Seems like FAIL to me.
Sounds like the cars are close, you won't know until you do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
on the gear situation, i built a 240 with a small block chevy in it and the car was originally an auto, which came with a 4.08 gear. keep that into consideration, i wouldnt go putting any money on it IMO

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Nothing is worse than people making an excuse after they lose a race.. EXCEPT people making excuses even before the race. Just take the fking things to a track and run them side by side. It doesn't matter if his tune is off, you spun and missed 2nd, some asshole in the stands aimed a laser pointer in your eye and you thought it was the shift light. That IS the race and that was/is what you and your car did in that pass. Bottom line, if he doesn't want to race than tell him to STFU and come back when he wants to. I never understood the concept of sitting around racing dyno numbers, discussing how fast you could go, what could happen in the perfect world, and who has better factory specs. If this race ever happens, I'd expect someone to say "I could have won if...". Well guess what, you didn't and you lost. Better luck next time. It sounds like both your cars are close, you won't know until you do it.
exactly............reps

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'M guessing your running street tires? If so ur not gonna hook anyway so having equal or more power is Not gonna help you gonna need some drag radials or slicks to have a chance

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
well dont know what its worth but me and my buddy raced from bout 15-100 and we were dead even, i have a 96 auto with a pi swap and 1 or 2 bolt ons.

he had an sr20 s14 and claimed it had 380 hp to the wheels (ricer math) but it had a relatively stock sr20 with exhaust and intake of course.

so youll either be pretty close or hell beat you cause ive put the hurting on a few 5.0s with a little more mods than you.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
exactly............reps
Agreed! I've heard this way too many times over. Mostly from high school kids with a LT1 TA who can't figure out why that Focus just walked right away from him. lol

Agreed also that you should just go race. Bench racing gets you nowhere except who can trash talk more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol, I agree with you all. Like I said, neither of the two are mine. I think they need to shut up and race. A car's performance is judged on how it performs with a certain driver, on a certain condition, at a certain time. If the car aint runnin right, then that is how its gonna run. (Regardless if he SAYS it isn't, I don't care if it really is messed up or not.)

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
240 beats mustang in this case....(if its running well)

Thats the faster "car" in this situation, driver its a different story.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts