Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a trickflow stage 2 cam and i got the right springs and everything rated for it, but ive been told that im gonna need to machine the spring seat in order to get the full lift, and if i dont machine it im gonna get coil bind n **** **** up. and btw i have gt-40 p heads. and info would help a real lot thanks

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
hey i got a trickflow stage 2 cam and i got the right springs and everything rated for it, but ive been told that im gonna need to machine the spring seat in order to get the full lift, and if i dont machine it im gonna get coil bind n **** **** up. and btw i have gt-40 p heads. and info would help a real lot thanks

What is the recommended installed height for the springs and what is the installed height on the head?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not exactly sure wat the install height is for both, but the thing i dont understand is my machine shop never said anything to me about having to machine the spring seat or even taking off the exhaust valve rotator in order to avoild coil bind. they just told me to get the correctly rated springs n retainers n im set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is the only way to correct this by machine the spring seat to match everything correctly?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
im not exactly sure wat the install height is for both, but the thing i dont understand is my machine shop never said anything to me about having to machine the spring seat or even taking off the exhaust valve rotator in order to avoild coil bind. they just told me to get the correctly rated springs n retainers n im set.
You need to measure the installed height when you put the springs on the heads. The springs have to be installed at the recommended installed height. It is very possible that you will have to get different retainers and/or machine the spring pocket. If you don't understand this or don't have the proper tools I would take the heads to a machine shop and have them do it or you run the risk of destroying your entire engine.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
^^ yeah you can get +0.050 retainers, or +0.050 locks or both to make up needed installed height. I agree that you should take them to a shop that can check installed height and coil bind.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
i always knew you were a stud ryan ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
ok sorry no more thread jacking

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It's not my hair though...

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
LOL ryan.... "EEEEEYYY! (Two thumbs up) LOL Happy Days lookin ass

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It was a rubber wig, the pic was taken on holloween a few years back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts