Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a new one today my old one was squeaking...
so i take the old one off and my new one is wayy too big
the deush decided to give me the wrong one i guess :mad: i hate autozone
but how do i get that old one back on...
i tried and tried and tried and tried but couldnt do it,,
i need help now i have places to go please

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
get a wrench... pull up on the tensioner... push the belt over the lip of the water pump... done

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so do you have a graph of the routing and maybe some labels on it
im not too sure where the water pump is...or the tensioner....

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
seriously??

tensioner is on the left side near the a.c compressor its the small one towards the bottom... ...

water pump is the one in the center on the top with no ribs on it... so here is what you do... route the belt around everything ... with the ribs one the inside... then grab it down on the bottom left and pull it towards the water pump... you should have enough slack to get it to rest on the small part... then from there you put both your knees on the radiator support so you can get good leverage... pull as hard as you can on the tensioner and slip the belt over the water pump pulley ... make sure you go under the idler that is right next to the alternator

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just tried exactly what you said before you said it and the dam thing wouldnt budge
and i think ive got a coolant leak damit but ill try again
i just need to be sure so i can cuss this kid out at autozone

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
... uhg lemme go find a diagram... there should be one under your hood some where as well as in your owners manual...

how does this sound? ill go make a quick video of it for you

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would be great
i looked in my owners manual
i didnt look under the hood but im pretty sure i know how it goes on i made like a mental pic of it while my old one was on correctly
but there a little clip on the tensioner i stuck a flat head screwdriver in there and the tensioner shot in the completely wrong direction i was pissed
but i finally got the clip back to the right place on the tensioner and i cant move it any farther up

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
starting from the alt pulley
goes OVER your alternator pulley down to your power sterring to your crank

then around your crank to the right side of the water pump pulley
then around that to the belt tensioner pulley then up over to the a/c compressor and under your idle pulley to the alternator

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts

then around that to the belt tensioner pulley then up over to the a/c compressor and under your idle pulley to the alternator
it just took me like 5 minutes with one hand half the time... and doing it in the rain... you gotta wait like 10 more minutes its almost done

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thats exactly how i have it i just cant get that dam tensioner to move close enough to get the belt around it
its the only thing thats stopping me
and then once i get it on
im gonna slap that kid for giving me the wrong

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks soooo much guys that vid was perfect
i just didnt understand what you meant by using that wrench to lift the tensioner, so i was using my hand which is why i could only move it a little bit but i grabbed my brand new cresent wrench and it worked like a charm
now to go to autozone thanks guys

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i feel dumb
that kid in the video must have been like 17 or 18
rep points to omz

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
wait you were really trying to use your hand???

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... sounds like it ... hmm ... well hopefully you get the right one this time... :)
yep i took my old one up there
and told the kid to give me the right one,...then i told him i wanted to measure it the one they gave me was 1 and a half inches too long so i got a gatorback one :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts