Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service engine light blinked on/off for about 15 seconds today then went off. I was going about 40 with regular acceleration when it happened. It almost felt like a misfire? I'm going to get codes read after work, but any idea what might be the issue / how to fix it?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Not without a code. On some cars the SES will come on if the gas cap is loose. My SES light comes on about every 6 months. I just reset it and forget it. It's a P0340 Catalytic Inefficency error. And I'm not running stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
A blinking CEL is different than a simple CEL (where it says on).

If it felt like it was missing and the CEL was blinking, it's probably missing. First is to pull the code and find out what cylinder (this assumes it's actually a miss). From there I would start by pulling the plug and examining (change if necessary).

If that doesn't fix it, then the next likely option would be the coil pack. Remove the coil pack from the current miss fire cylinder and swap it with the coil from another cylinder. Clear the codes and drive some. When the CEL comes back, read the code and see if the miss fire cylinder moved with the coil pack. If it moved, you need to replace the coil pack. If it did not move, the coil pack should be good.

From there, the next option would be injector. Do the same thing that you did with the coil pack, except with the injector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts