Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing my cam synchro and cant find the tdc marks whats the best way to get it set to it

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Take the number one cylinder spark plug out and look in while a buddy turns the crank... Works on most cars

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it set but need help with the cam synchro now and nobodys been able to give me any ideas

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This is the tool. It can be obtained for less than this.

http://www.restockit.com/otc-ford-cam-sensor-sync-tool-(otc6470).html?source=googlepla&utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=affiliateprogram&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLD9mqzk86cCFQoTbAod3iz1aQ

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
These are the specs OTC6470

OTC Ford Cam Sensor Sync Tool

Product Description:
DETAILS:

Features and Benefits:
Same as Ford tool 303-630
Application: 1999-2002 Explorer 5.0L V8; 1999-2004 Mustang 3.8L V6; 1999-2003 Windstar 3.8L V6; 1999-2004 Mountaineer 5.0L V8.

UPC: 731413037535

MANUFACTURER NAME: OTC
ITEM #: OTC6470

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it came with that but for some reason I cant get it to go all the way back in and i dont wanna force it but as long as the engine is at #1 tdc and the thing that spins is centered on the window its correct?has nobody done this to there motor ever im suprised I havent gotten more responses

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
If you're starting to mesh the synchro gear with the gear on the cam and it won't drop all the way in, the oil pump is likely slightly out of phase with the oil pump driveshaft. Did you rotate the crank to TDC without the old cam synchro/oil pump driveshaft in place? You can try rotating the crank back and forth slightly to get the synchro/oil pump driveshaft to drop in place. If all else fails, you can pull the oil pump off the engine, stab the synchro, then reinstall the oil pump.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i did by accident being dumb so I have to pull of the oil pump now?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
You have the oil pump driveshaft snapped into the new cam synchro, right? It should have come out with the old synchro, and you would have swapped it over to the new one. If so, try what I said above. With the synchro/driveshaft assembly sitting in the hole (as far as it will currently go), rotate the crank back and forth a little to see if you can get the driveshaft to line up with the pump and drop into place. If that doesn't work, then yes, you'll need to pull the oil pump, install the synchro/driveshaft, then reinstall the oil pump.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes the old shaft is on the new pump but say i rotate it a little and it falls in wont it not be at tdc anymore

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how hard is changing the pump too

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
If the synchro gear is already meshing with the cam gear, it will rotate as you turn the crank (it'll still be in sync). If you're uncertain, rotate the engine until the synchro drops in, then reset to TDC with the synchro in place, pull the synchro, and reinstall it with the tool.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can you not just pull the shaft install it in the hole and than drop in the synchro

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
can you not just pull the shaft install it in the hole and than drop in the synchro
Don't drop the oil pump driveshaft down the hole. It'll be nearly impossible to get it lined up with the synchro that way. Try the procedure I laid out for you above, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried yesterday but the gear sits just below the opening and spins with the motor but it supposed to be a few more inches down I dont get it

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Are you pushing the synchro in at all while you're rotating the crank? It won't just fall into place, it will take a little push to get it seated.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah just didnt wanna mess anything up ill get a friend and push harder today

1 - 20 of 26 Posts