Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I am running and optimal red top battery with the cobra 130 amp alternator. But it seems running accessories at night and the cooling fan makes it dip really hard , could that be a bad regulator ? I mean it seems like it just dips too low, even when its only the cooling fan .

2. Part throttle acceleration is mediocre at best for 4.30 gears. It seems something is lacking. its the 4r70w transmission no mods done to it yet . My O2 sensors are the originals, is it possible this is the source of the issue although it gives no CEL? I have the PI intake/cam swap done . timing it correct felt an improvement from that, but I still feel the part throttle is lacking, feels like i have to push it more to get decent acceleration from it.

Also I hear that the Mach 1 torque converter is an upgrade to the GT one. Is this true ? I can't see much difference between the two, and i am also looking to do the Jmod and wondered if the newer valve bodies basically had that mod already, or something close to it.

Thanks allot, sorry for the essay. ;)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
1. I am running and optimal red top battery with the cobra 130 amp alternator. But it seems running accessories at night and the cooling fan makes it dip really hard , could that be a bad regulator ? I mean it seems like it just dips too low, even when its only the cooling fan.
Its the regulator in our alternators. I replaced my stock one and it still dips, gets alittle low. I cant afford to keep replacing alternators to try different brands.

·
Registered
678 Posts
1. I am running and optimal red top battery with the cobra 130 amp alternator. But it seems running accessories at night and the cooling fan makes it dip really hard , could that be a bad regulator ? I mean it seems like it just dips too low, even when its only the cooling fan . [/QUOTE]

I am guessing you have underdrive pulleys. If so that is the root cause of your problem.

Also I hear that the Mach 1 torque converter is an upgrade to the GT one. Is this true ? I can't see much difference between the two, and i am also looking to do the Jmod and wondered if the newer valve bodies basically had that mod already, or something close to it.

Thanks allot, sorry for the essay. ;)
Newer valve bodies do not have the j mod done but there is less to change in the newer valve bodies. I don't know that there would be much of a difference between a stock GT and a Mach 1 converter. It surely isn't enough to justify pulling the trans. My suggestion would be to get a newer valve body or use the existing one for the j mod, get a good aftermarket 3600-3800 converter, and have the car tuned by someone that knows how to work with the 4R70W.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks allot guys, and i have no under-drive pulleys which is why the dip stumps me .

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would have the altnertor tested to see if its actually working like it's suppose to then. It sure doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i was gonna go ahead and change out the regulator and brushes to see if that would help. But i think i will go get ti tested too.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i went and had my bad one tested and it passed. I was told that the machine couldnt put a load on the alternator to show that it wasnt producing enough amps

·
Registered
283 Posts
i went and had my bad one tested and it passed. I was told that the machine couldnt put a load on the alternator to show that it wasnt producing enough amps

This is not true. One of a few things happened. Either the person testing did not know how to test it properly. I managed a parts store and the machine does put a load on it. Or your old alternator is good and was mis diagnosed. Either way the test parts stores do can put a load to check amps.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
They all dip.

The fan is a huge load. Its really nothing i would worry about.

Put a bigger throttle body on if you want more part throttle.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a 70mm throttle body be worth it from the aviators ? I hear they are ok but i hear all kinds of things about the true gain from one.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This is not true. One of a few things happened. Either the person testing did not know how to test it properly. I managed a parts store and the machine does put a load on it. Or your old alternator is good and was mis diagnosed. Either way the test parts stores do can put a load to check amps.
hmm.... these are the reasons I stay away from AutoPwned.

Its nice to hear that other people have the same power issues tho, my car is starting to erk me with all its little flaws.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes sense. I found PI heads at the local junk yard for 140 bucks. Will come with all of its stuff. I plan to refurb them really good since mine has leaky valve seals. What are quality parts that I should put in the heads. I also plan to run low boost like 6lb from a turbo charger kit. How well does the PI head do on the NPI bottom with low boost. Also should i go ahead and change headers to long tubes since that will all be off ?

Can i attach the headers to the head before bolting it on to the block . lol so many questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts