Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several questions

Plans catback divorced 2.5 piping thrush welded chambered series, prolly going to dump it. Several people have told me this is going to drone like hell, is the drone really that bad? i'm gonna dump it right before the rear bumper.

mach 1 or 03/04 cobra, consider condition, mileage, and price

Who has or has had an afr gauge, should i get one? worth it or not really?

3.73 or 4.10 gears?

Where to get your tunes from?

What product have you had the best results with for cleaning your wheels?

Whats the best bang for your buck brake pads and rotors?

Opinion on ngk spark plugs

Opinion on taylor street wires

estimated time to cut springs (first time)

For a 60,000 tune up, what should be done? so far I've done or are about to do, fuel filter, wires and plugs.

What are some common problems for mustangs as they age/driven more/longer

Too many questions?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Afr gauge should be used when you alter your induction or fuel components and need to check from time to time how your tune is working

Reactions: SON1C

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Several questions

Plans catback divorced 2.5 piping thrush welded chambered series, prolly going to dump it. Several people have told me this is going to drone like hell, is the drone really that bad? i'm gonna dump it right before the rear bumper.

I think dumping and chambered mufflers both have to do with droning, so yeah it will. Different gears you will also be riding at higher rpms on the highway which will drone like a mofo. You get used to it, its not that bad.

Dont waste your money on gauges until you have more then just boltons. Engine work , power adder, ect

3.73 or 4.10 gears?
Normally its 3.73 for Stick and 4.10 for Autos. Go with 3.73s if you are concerned about mpg, go with 4.10s with you like killing the planet and want to go faster

Bama- Americanmuscle.com Buy a handheld tuner and you get free tunes for life

Staying tuned, I need to know this too haha

Ebc??

Dont get sparkplugs unless yours are bad or need to run colder ones

Keep oem unless you having issues

Maybe 5 hours if you take your time. It took me maybe 3 -4 hours

For a 60,000 tune up, what should be done? so far I've done or are about to do, fuel filter, wires and plugs.
Dont need wires or plugs imo. Airfilter, check all fluid levels. Seafoam
there ya go :D

Reactions: 6BangEr and SON1C

·
Registered
730 Posts
Several questions

Plans catback divorced 2.5 piping thrush welded chambered series, prolly going to dump it. Several people have told me this is going to drone like hell, is the drone really that bad? i'm gonna dump it right before the rear bumper. Drone has everything to do with personal preference but you will have drone with those mufflers... its not bad if you leave the cats honestly.

mach 1 or 03/04 cobra, consider condition, mileage, and price :wtf are you asking lol

Who has or has had an afr gauge, should i get one? worth it or not really? why would you need this if your not boosting, turbo, supercharge ??

3.73 or 4.10 gears? auto 4:10 manual 3.73

Where to get your tunes from? sct tuner from AM and i have a local ford racing shop :D

albow grease lol but there is a foaming spray on type that turtle wax makes and i use it to get the wheels started then i use a rag to finish em off

Whats the best bang for your buck brake pads and rotors? i got mine on ebay pads + rotors and they got here in like 1 day no lie and get slotted not drilled and slotted ive herd that the drilled can crack and even in the most expensive brands

Opinion on ngk spark plugs havent done this one yet but through reasearch i found that platinum= performance .... copper = longevity

Opinion on taylor street wires ..... donno

estimated time to cut springs (first time) .... 3-4 hours first time

For a 60,000 tune up, what should be done? so far I've done or are about to do, fuel filter, wires and plugs. K&N drop in filter with your stock air box if you dont want to pony up for a CAI and upgrade to synthetic oil :D

seems that people have problems with the stock exhaust manifolds ( mine is cracked on pass side) ive herd a few people having throttle issues but its less common... window motors.... baby your doors because they have a tendency to sagg and its not a cheap fix.... the headlights and 3rd brake lights will get foggy or hazy

Too many questions?

pshhhh nahhh lol

·
Registered
652 Posts
Several questions

Plans catback divorced 2.5 piping thrush welded chambered series, prolly going to dump it. Several people have told me this is going to drone like hell, is the drone really that bad? i'm gonna dump it right before the rear bumper. Have the shop angle the dumps at a 45 degree angle to the outside of the car

Both are badass, but cobra if i had to choose
^^what he said
3.73 or 4.10 gears?
Auto or Stick
I've heard email tunes from an AM tuner are the best :dunno
I just use soap and water to get the stockers clean
Just go to a local auto parts place and ask for ceramic pads, drilled and slotted rotors wont really do much for our sixxers except upgrade appearance
:dunno
:dunno
weekend job
Oil change, tire rotation, air filter, brakes, fluids, and shocks/struts
If you take care of your car it will take care of you
Too many questions?
See red responses.

·
Registered
730 Posts
dammm i forgot seafoam haha

as for the wheels to elaborate more i have chrome wheels which means PITA

turtle wax foaming wheel cleaner .. i spray it on and the grease and everything melts off its the coolest thing ever haha then i wipe them off with a rag to get rid of runs and water marks.

and i like the tire gel for tires muchhh better because it doesnt run onto my wheels

meguiars is the way to go for everything btw i just have turtle wax for now because it was a gift :D

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the drone will be noticeable but wont give me a headache every time i drive somewhere? i already destroy me ears enough with my sound system:)

recently seafoamed and changed air filter, need to check fluids, regularly change oil, my car has oem plugs and wires, im at 63000 miles you don't think its time to change them? i've heard to change them at 60000

for wheels i've heard that adams products are great for them, and that turtle wax is not good, also that the cheap products have a respiratory irritant, i shined 3 sets of wheels this week, none of my own with this product, while not intentionally trying to inhale but not avoiding the fumes, and after only one set of wheels if i inhaled fully i'd cough, i was coughing the rest of the night

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See red responses.
how much reduction in drone will you get from the 45 degree angle change, and will this make the exhaust noise (not drone) quieter?

auto:(

and ive got stack racing black bullitts

has anyone used the mustang springs from LRS, they're only $99

how often for tire rotation, every 6000?

how do you know if you should upgrade/replace/turn your stock rotors?

·
Registered
652 Posts
how much reduction in drone will you get from the 45 degree angle change, and will this make the exhaust noise (not drone) quieter?

auto:(

and ive got stack racing black bullitts

has anyone used the mustang springs from LRS, they're only $99

how often for tire rotation, every 6000?

how do you know if you should upgrade/replace/turn your stock rotors?
It doesnt really reduce the drone per se. It more just directs it away from the cabin so it doesnt kill your ears.

4.10's for auto

Tire rotation should be around every 10,000 miles

If your car bounces alot over bumps then you may want to get your shocks checked out.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts

Angle the tips at a 45* angle towards the ground/side of the vehicle. That will reduce the drone.

Not sure what the question is, but I'd take a Mach because it's pure ****ing sex :rockon Termi is nice too, I'm just a bigger fan of the Mach

I don't have one but you really don't need it unless you go with a power adder (supercharger, turbo, nitrous)

3.73 or 4.10 gears?

Personal preference. 3.73s are a little easier for city driving and will keep your RPMs lower on the highway. 4.10s are just ****ing fun, but if you have a 5 speed you'll get in the habit of rolling through stop signs (like me) to stay in 2nd gear because 1st in really short

Bama, through AmericanMuscle (I get free tunes from them since I bought my tuner from them)

Good ol' soap and water plus some ArmorAll tire shine

You can get some pretty good rotor/pad combos on ebay. Look for a seller called R1 Concepts or something like that. I believe most of their rotors are zinc coated so they won't rust as quickly.

Not in our cars. I ran some for a year and they felt really shitty compared to the Autolite coppers I just swapped in. Save yourself some money and go with Motorcraft/Autolite coppers. They're a whopping $10 for 6 plugs.

I've heard decent things about them and I considered them when I changed my wires, but I ended up going with a set of OEM wires. Check Rockauto.com. They sometimes have good deals on sets of wires and you really don't need anything more than OEM. If you want some color on your wires, get the colored heat shields to go around them.

I'd say 6 hours if you've never removed the brakes, struts, springs, etc before. If you've dug into all the goodies in your wheel wells before, you can probably do it in less than 4.

Hayne's manual says spark plugs, replace manual tranny fluid, and differential fluid every 60k miles. You could also check your air filter to see if it needs to be replaced/cleaned (depending on what kind of filter you have) and check all the fluid in your car. Basically just look everything over at this point and determine what needs to be replaced.

O2 sensors tend to go around 100k miles. Ball joints tend to become an issue with higher miles as do rear wheel bearings. Aside from that, problems tend to be based on how you drive and what you manage to break :p

Too many questions?

Not even close ;)

**** tire rotations, staggered wheels ftw :rockon

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Several questions

Plans catback divorced 2.5 piping thrush welded chambered series, prolly going to dump it. Several people have told me this is going to drone like hell, is the drone really that bad? i'm gonna dump it right before the rear bumper. Drone has everything to do with personal preference but you will have drone with those mufflers... its not bad if you leave the cats honestly.

mach 1 or 03/04 cobra, consider condition, mileage, and price :wtf are you asking lol

Who has or has had an afr gauge, should i get one? worth it or not really? why would you need this if your not boosting, turbo, supercharge ??

3.73 or 4.10 gears? auto 4:10 manual 3.73

Where to get your tunes from? sct tuner from AM and i have a local ford racing shop :D

albow grease lol but there is a foaming spray on type that turtle wax makes and i use it to get the wheels started then i use a rag to finish em off

Whats the best bang for your buck brake pads and rotors? i got mine on ebay pads + rotors and they got here in like 1 day no lie and get slotted not drilled and slotted ive herd that the drilled can crack and even in the most expensive brands

Opinion on ngk spark plugs havent done this one yet but through reasearch i found that platinum= performance .... copper = longevity

Opinion on taylor street wires ..... donno

estimated time to cut springs (first time) .... 3-4 hours first time

For a 60,000 tune up, what should be done? so far I've done or are about to do, fuel filter, wires and plugs. K&N drop in filter with your stock air box if you dont want to pony up for a CAI and upgrade to synthetic oil :D

seems that people have problems with the stock exhaust manifolds ( mine is cracked on pass side) ive herd a few people having throttle issues but its less common... window motors.... baby your doors because they have a tendency to sagg and its not a cheap fix.... the headlights and 3rd brake lights will get foggy or hazy

Too many questions?

pshhhh nahhh lol
for afr its good long term, getting exhaust done soon so considering getting the bung done while i do that, it could also easily be transferred to another stang/car, good for tuning, also wouldnt i be able to tell if i ever get an exhaust leak with it?

right now im running mobil 1 synthetic 5w30, and most people say its a waste to get a cai on our cars and that removing the air silencer+ k&n drop in is just as good

also my headlights were super fogged and stock houses, so two years ago i replaced them with smoked+black housing headlights off of amazon less than 90 shipped for the pair, a year and half later a bulb went out though:(

you notice an increase in stopping power with the new pads and rotors? also which brand off of ebay did you go with? link please

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
also wouldnt i be able to tell if i ever get an exhaust leak with it?

also my headlights were super fogged and stock houses, so two years ago i replaced them with smoked+black housing headlights off of amazon less than 90 shipped for the pair, a year and half later a bulb went out though:(
Generally when you get an exhaust leak you'll get a nasty ticking noise and, depending on where it's leaking, you may be able to smell the exhaust while you're driving. It'll give you a headache after a bit and make you sick to your stomach.

For your headlights, take them off and dry out the inside with something like a hair dryer. When you get all the condensation out, use some RTV silicone to seal the crack that goes all the way around the headlights. Seal it well and they shouldn't fog up again.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Angle the tips at a 45* angle towards the ground/side of the vehicle. That will reduce the drone.

Not sure what the question is, but I'd take a Mach because it's pure ****ing sex :rockon Termi is nice too, I'm just a bigger fan of the Mach

I don't have one but you really don't need it unless you go with a power adder (supercharger, turbo, nitrous)

3.73 or 4.10 gears?

Personal preference. 3.73s are a little easier for city driving and will keep your RPMs lower on the highway. 4.10s are just ****ing fun, but if you have a 5 speed you'll get in the habit of rolling through stop signs (like me) to stay in 2nd gear because 1st in really short

Bama, through AmericanMuscle (I get free tunes from them since I bought my tuner from them)

Good ol' soap and water plus some ArmorAll tire shine

You can get some pretty good rotor/pad combos on ebay. Look for a seller called R1 Concepts or something like that. I believe most of their rotors are zinc coated so they won't rust as quickly.

Not in our cars. I ran some for a year and they felt really shitty compared to the Autolite coppers I just swapped in. Save yourself some money and go with Motorcraft/Autolite coppers. They're a whopping $10 for 6 plugs.

I've heard decent things about them and I considered them when I changed my wires, but I ended up going with a set of OEM wires. Check Rockauto.com. They sometimes have good deals on sets of wires and you really don't need anything more than OEM. If you want some color on your wires, get the colored heat shields to go around them.

I'd say 6 hours if you've never removed the brakes, struts, springs, etc before. If you've dug into all the goodies in your wheel wells before, you can probably do it in less than 4.

Hayne's manual says spark plugs, replace manual tranny fluid, and differential fluid every 60k miles. You could also check your air filter to see if it needs to be replaced/cleaned (depending on what kind of filter you have) and check all the fluid in your car. Basically just look everything over at this point and determine what needs to be replaced.

O2 sensors tend to go around 100k miles. Ball joints tend to become an issue with higher miles as do rear wheel bearings. Aside from that, problems tend to be based on how you drive and what you manage to break :p

Too many questions?

Not even close ;)

**** tire rotations, staggered wheels ftw :rockon
for the mach 1 vs cobra question its like a what would you choose question,

for example you could get a bad ass high mileage (imo 100000+) termi for 16k however for 16k you could find a mach 1 with 20xxx miles on it

or why you would go with a mach 1 ex design/looks or why you would go with a termi ex s/c

which ngk did you use? was it the v-power( which i think is a copper core?)

how do you change ball joints?

and looking back I should've went staggered:( wheels and tires but i went 17x9 245's x4

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesnt really reduce the drone per se. It more just directs it away from the cabin so it doesnt kill your ears.

4.10's for auto

If your car bounces alot over bumps then you may want to get your shocks checked out.
what do you define drone as? i thought it was the noise within the cabin caused by exhaust?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
for the mach 1 vs cobra question its like a what would you choose question,

for example you could get a bad ass high mileage (imo 100000+) termi for 16k however for 16k you could find a mach 1 with 20xxx miles on it

Mach. Those 4.6L 4v engines can handle some miles but you really have to keep up on the maintenance or they're going to be full of problems. I'd rather have the lower miles so I can make it gets all it's maintenance. I don't trust that an average person actually keeps up on all of the maintenance since most people just get their oil changed and wait for things to break.

or why you would go with a mach 1 ex design/looks or why you would go with a termi ex s/c

I love the Mach's styling more than the Termis. The Machs have that sexy ass cowl hood with the shaker scoop plus the grille delete and chin spoiler. Don't get me wrong, I love Termis too. I just have a soft spot for Machs :dunno

which ngk did you use? was it the v-power( which i think is a copper core?)

No, they were TR-somethinsomething Iridium. Motorcraft or Autolite copper plugs are great in our engines though.

how do you change ball joints?

Here's the install guide for Steeda X2 ball joints:Steeda X-2 Ball Joint Kit - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! Only real difference between them and stock replacements is the spacers (stock ones don't offer the 1/2" drop)

and looking back I should've went staggered:( wheels and tires but i went 17x9 245's x4

Staggered is awesome. I went 18x9 245 up front and 18x10 285 in the rear. Kept my 17x8 Bullitts around for winter driving though. Performance tires + snow = bad :lol
^In quote :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Isnt 2.5" a little to big for a mostly stock sixxer? Also, what part of VA are you from?

Reactions: SON1C

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
For MY wheels, I simply use the same soap+water I used to wash the whole exterior.... Using a microfiber rag... After drying, I put the turtle wax tire gel... I like a clean "like new" look on my tires NOT the super shiny, super greasy look... Then I'd spray the wheel with armorall quick detailer that I used for the exterior paint... Wipe around and inside the wheel... Black Saleens look as shiny as the whole freaking car without having to spend so much...:)

I used the quick detailer spray since it's powdercoated black... I'm not sure if this stuff works good with chrome or polished wheels since it's actually for the car's exterior paint. :yes

1 - 20 of 34 Posts