Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i love my stock system. All i want is a little more bass from say a small subwoofer like 8 inch or 10 etc.

Is there ANY way to wire/splice in a subwoofer and to run off of the stock wiring/amp/electric?

I really don't want to have an amp for a subwoofer, and have the issue of installing a new head unit/wiring harness etc.

Thanks guys.

Car is a 2005 btw if that helps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just look on the kicker site they have sub and amp in a single unit for your car.
Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Running a small sub from a head unit isn't really gonna work sorry, head units do not push enough power to do it, and you risk overheating if you find a way to make the sub loud enough to hear it. You actually have a small amp in the car driving the door subs already so that is why they are as loud as they are. The amp on those door subs is in the door behind the sub btw.

If you choose to add an amp to your extra sub setup; high level inputs work but you may have clipping, then if you crank it on the head unit and the line level gets cranked its a mess for the amp to handle. I would just put a new head unit in. Good option if you pickup the kit for this car but not the best quality or volume.

I jumped on amazon and picked up last years mid level head unit model for like $50 since they had a new version out for 200; plus I have an iPad mounted in front of it and just wanted the line in and sub hookups. Then got the wiring harness and mounting bracket for like $15. If you look around the shaker requires a special harness that around $70 but you can get the cheaper one and solder a 50cent piece from Radioshack in the line for the shaker door subs power (they take 3v instead of 5v for power on signal so you have to compensate, totally worth the $50 i saved.)

The sound quality is a bit cleaner and if you get the correct setup you can control aftermarket sub levels and door sub levels interdependently from the volume for the best experience. But then you have to buy an amp and sub and box. But you do get what you pay for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts