Modded Mustang Forums banner

shaker hood scoop

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  07 Boss 
#1 ·
ok, i know it's a pretty shitty peice from a performance standpoint, but i really like the look of it. the only thing that really bothers me is the gay engine "dress-up" cover. is this a necessary peice? can i get away with just not putting the dress up cover on? all in all, i really think the shaker is worth the price (especially when doing the cutting and **** yourself) and i'm willing to drop some change on it after i get some exhaust.

and before you even say it, no i don't want a supershaker. i don't have the money for it right now and probably won't in the next couple years.

but anyway, i'd really like to get some opinions from everyone. especially the guys with shakers.

#2 ·
The cover is an integral part of the mount so you have to install it. BUT, it's just plastic so it's really easy to trim to suit your style. Take a look here Show me your shakers - The Mustang Source . There are a number of pictures which might help you decide.

#3 ·
I like them, and if I had some extra cash lying around, would be more than willing to get one, but last time I checked they were like 750 dollars weren't they?

Only time I would go and get it is once I'm done with everything bolt on wise, which it looks like you're nearing, so this is just another toy to knock off the list.

I just have to say it though, that cash could easily go to a nitrous system, or towards a used/new super/turbo charger. Seems like you get things done on your car, so it looks like it would just be a little more waiting in your case.

But great buy IMO for the look of the car.

#5 ·
thanks man. honestly, i think once i get the exhaust, i'll be damn near done with performance mods for the most part (at least thats what i say now). i just really wanna try and balance out performance and looks. i don't want an 11 second street car or anything. i'm really kinda wantin to stay n/a. idk why, but s/c or turbo setups just don't appeal to me that much. nitrous is a thought though...

#11 ·
i've drooled over the supershaker since the day it came out. i just can't afford it and boost really doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. but it is a ****in sexy peice... god i can't stop lookin at it lol

and i'm in 2nd brigade (STRIKE!!), i actually live right beside some AF guys. i'm not sure if they're TACP though. i can't imagine what else they'd do though being attached to the 101st

#10 ·
#13 ·
My son found a used shaker system for his '05 and it took me about 2 hours total to install including cutting the hood. Just use a fine tooth jigsaw. We trimmed the plastic cover down to practically nothing and also trimmed the duct to match up to his Procharger conical air filter. He paid $350 shipped for it.

Just a little side note...the actual shaker scoop itself is the exact same part as the original from what I here.

#17 · (Edited)
I installed my Shaker about 2 years ago and It was, in my opinion, a good investment. It is indeed more cosmetic than performance, but throwing some added cool air into the intake mix is almost always a good thing. I already had a CAI when I installed this. I got my Shaker on eBay for around $500.

EDIT:
I trimmed the "skirt" off of the shaker a few months ago, it adds better access to engine components and I think it looks a lot better too.

#18 ·
Put one of these sticking out of the hood!

Seriously, I'm working on the prototype for a "real" CAI. 4" stainless exhuast tubing, ceramic coated of course to help with repeling the engine heat, and it flows right into my Roush CAI. Working on the "air box" to mount the scoop onto. I think it will be literally a cool set up that actually functions as it should.

Go ahead guys, laugh and flame on, but you will see how the end product comes out soon.

#21 ·
With the weather being so good here, the golf course where I work has been super busy. Not a lot of time on my hands for the car. I've got 5 projects (front end prep & paint, cams, shifter, torque convertor, and some custom wiring) ahead of the CAI so don't hold your breath. I will have a grand unveiling I would say within the next 3 mos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.