Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a 2000 v6 3.8L, manual transmission. The engine shakes so bad that the whole car shakes with it, down to the exhaust pipes sticking out the bottom of the back. It shakes only when it's at idle, about 800 rpms. If I push the throttle above a grand, it evens out and is smooth. I've had the flywheel checked and resurfaced. I know my year has an inner balanced or an outer balanced flywheel depending on when it was made. I have the right flywheel. I also had the harmonic balancer checked. It is fine. I had the motor mounts looked at. They are fine. I've gone to every shop in my home town and none of them have ever seen anything like this. They don't know what to tell me. I had a brand new clutch installed recently, but that didn't effect anything. It has shaken for the last 8 months since I bought it, and hasn't ever changed. Does anyone have anything they can tell me? I'm trying to sell the car, so I don't need that advice. But I'd like to fix it before I sell it to get the full value out of it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the engine shouldnt shake with the trans in neutral or with the clutch pushed in because the trans is disengaged from the engine. sounds like a misfire whether bad spark plug, bad plug wire, low compression clogged injector. thats what i would look at first. how is the mpg?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mpg is fine as far as I know. I have brand new plugs and wires that are gauged right. I did them myself. The engine shakes the same whether I have it in neutral or in gear with the clutch in.

·
Registered
730 Posts
ive heard that bad egr valves that are stuck open at idle will cause bad shaking

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had everything checked from timing to motor mounts to the drivetrain. Everything is just fine. The gas mileage is just fine. But it shakes still, and I don't know why. I'm considering a motor swap, or just getting rid of the car. It may be time to upgrade to a GT or cobra...

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Balance issue or mount issue. Have you looked at the trans mount? Its at the back of the trans on the tail shaft. Mine went bad shortly after I got the car. Replaced it. Stopped shaking.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had them check out everything to do with the transmission when they replaced the clutch. I did, however, recently discover that I got screwed hard. When I bought the car, I was told that it hadn't been in any wrecks, and that the title was clean. I even was handed a clean carfax. Well, when I put the car up on blocks, I found that there was a huge weld area near the right rear tire. It's about the shittiest weld I've ever seen too. I got screwed over. In any case, I'm just gonna sell the car and be more careful when I shop around for a GT or cobra...Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I know the feeling on that one... I got screwed also. But hey, gotta live with our mistakes sometimes. Sounds like it is just scared to get on the streets with gt's. Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts