Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well finally after months of my car being down for the rebuild and many headaches along they way, i finally got the car to start yesterday, but its not running that well. But im just glad i finally got it to start. Got a couple codes, p0352, p0356, p0357, and p0358. Which are for coils 2,6,7,8. So what exactly could be causing this, ive done lots of research and cant seem to find anything. Also find it weird that I have all these codes at once?
Info on 4v swap
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/270932-2001-gt-4v-swap.html

Here's a video

F9C5A526-A522-443E-8B97-AD50BA6A64BC-459-0000004FC95F3F60.mp4 video by disturbdgt | Photobucket
A4E8ECFF-FD8F-4B2F-AD65-3B57B37E8970-233-00000013C6C01EA2.mp4 video by disturbdgt | Photobucket

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
pull the coils and check them out. did you do anything to the harness? I believe there were some changes to be made for the coil connectors but i really cant remember too well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
before I got it to start, I had tested the the coils individually by holding them to a ground and cranked the car and all showed signs of spark. This is what stumps me. I did switch the polarity on the coil connectors during the swap. I also put in new coil boots and springs

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
congrats on the swap. sounds like an old john deere tractor when it drops to 500rpms lmao.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
alive but doesnt sound too healthy. Try swapping coils and see if problems jumps. I.e. bad cylinder for good cylinder coil. If problem jumps, its obviously a cop issue. If not, could be wiring.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just checked the coils primary and secondary checks and the primary check came out .15 ohms across the board and the secondary check came out 5.5 kohms across the board. And checked all my plugs and they were as followed:
1: clean
2: clean
3: clean
4: a little residue from I guess fuel and the top of the piston had all carbon on it.
5: black
6: black
7: black
8: black
And when I say black I mean like a black film on them.
So what could be causing this. I also did the koeo test for the coil connectors and they all came out 12v across the board.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Are you certain your cams are timed properly? Misfires in every cylinder of one bank are indicative of such.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked my timing on everything twice over before I put the motor in the car. And last week I pulled valve covers just to make sure. And everything came out right all times. I even replace the crank sensor the other day just to be on the safe side. Could the cam sensor be causing this problem?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
IDK, never had a CPS failure to work on. You said you checked..... did you perform a compression check on each cylinder in that bank? If not, it's easy and will either identify the cams are out of timing or verify that they're timed correctly and you can move on to the next issue.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Are you sure your COP wiring extension is 100%?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just switched the coils from the driver side to the passenger side and I'm still getting the same codes. Now I'm really stumped. So i guess I can rule out coils right?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well tried to start it again and now I'm only coming up with codes p0356 and p0358. I clear the codes and start it again and come up with the original ones again. I'm really stumped, I don't know what to do at this point

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Pull your spark plug and put an extra one in the hole, leave the spark plug in the boot and let it fire on the valve cover or some other ground surface. If you are getting spark through the plugs, then basically your last options are timing or fuel. Make sure your injectors are firing. I know this sounds dumb, but make sure your cop wires are plugged into the right cops. Lol.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pull your spark plug and put an extra one in the hole, leave the spark plug in the boot and let it fire on the valve cover or some other ground surface. If you are getting spark through the plugs, then basically your last options are timing or fuel. Make sure your injectors are firing. I know this sounds dumb, but make sure your cop wires are plugged into the right cops. Lol.
I already verified that each coil plug produced spark, while holding them to the frame. Also when I checked the timing again last week all the timing marks were lined up. But I've heard people saying that the timing on the driver side could be 180 out, but could this me possible with all the timing marks lining up?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Compression check on that bank...... i'm leaning heavily towards cams out of time. You have spark, you have fuel...... see where I'm going here.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I already verified that each coil plug produced spark, while holding them to the frame. Also when I checked the timing again last week all the timing marks were lined up. But I've heard people saying that the timing on the driver side could be 180 out, but could this me possible with all the timing marks lining up?

Yes that can happen only its always been passenger side from what I have seen. But that was on a 2v. You can be on the back side of the compression stroke which will be 180 out. Has it backfired at all?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts