Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 96 mustang GT...I know not alot bout cars but there's only 1 way to learn. And first thing I'm looking at doing its turning it into a manual. I heard the cheapest way is to buy a shift kit..? Anybody know a good shift kit to look into or any opinions?

·
Registered
894 Posts
A shift kit is for automatics. There is no cheap way to convert your auto to manual. You need to get a 5spd tranny, clutch pedal assembly, and a computer. I know those are the main things, but Im sure there is still more you need.

·
Registered
856 Posts
yeah way more. not sure about a T-45 but i talked to a shop and they said they could throw a TKO in there for a 5-6 grand. so it's definitely not cheap.

·
Registered
991 Posts
i dont think u need a computer i thought our trannies are gear drivin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in other words...I can't just buy a shift kit and convert it? I gotta buy a manual tranny, ect? My friend got a shift kit for his honda civic :X which was an automatic n it drives a stick now

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes you need a whole tranny and a whole mess of things and time and work. This isnt a Civic either its a hell of alot more work/money for that kinda work on our cars. Your friend probably bought a hurst kit and is manually shifting his Auto tranny.

You can do it with your tranny now. Not that its too good for it but. Put it in 1. Go to desired Rpm. Push it into 2 and on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts